What Rainbows Are Made Of is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fiction, originally written in Russian by Silver Fox, translated by LinesPrower.Scootaloo is about to take her final exam at the Flight Academy. Nervous about failing, she has a horrific nightmare about the Rainbow Factory. But her friend Orion reassures her, and she aces her exam. Eventually, Rainbow Dash invites her to the Factory for real; she is even asked to take part in the rainbow-making process. But she has nothing to fear - the procedure is based on The Power of Love.The story is a re-write of the infamous grimdark story, Rainbow Factory.A live reading can be found here.
This story contains examples of the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Both Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes (Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's nightmare, respectively).
- As You Know: An instructor explaining the flight exam.
- Audience Surrogate: Scootaloo's worries about the rainbow-making procedure mirror the reader's fear that the story might turn evil.
- Fix Fic
- Lampshade Hanging:
For some reason, stairways weren’t very popular in the Flight Academy, so the place seemed secluded enough.
- Scootaloo and Orion meet at a staircase of the Flight Academy.
- Also, the absurdity of the Rainbow Factory story/nightmare gets pointed out.
- Lethal Chef: Pinkie Pie's "baked bads" - more specifically, a bad batch of cupcakes - were apparently responsible for Rainbow Dash's nightmare (as well as making her sick for a week).
- Post-Victory Collapse
- The Power of Love
- Song Fic
- Take That / Who Writes This Crap?!: Aimed at Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes, two notorious "grimdark" stories.Rainbow Dash: Whoever dreams up these nightmares, that pony must be really crazy.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Just like Rainbow Factory, the story ends with Scootaloo telling Rainbow Dash that she has beautiful eyes.The deceitful dream had completely dispersed, leaving behind nothing but these true words.