Fan Fic / Total Drama Equestria
Total Drama Equestria
is a fanfic
written by a trio of authors known as JusSonic
(who also authored Curse of the Demon Pony
), Toonwriter and Orange Ratchet
. It is a crossover between My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
and Total Drama
Following Total Drama All-Stars
, Chris Mclean is preparing for season six when he receives a contract and video from a mysterious individual urging him to host a new season in the land of Equestria. Chris then lures the previous Total Drama contestants (plus Beth's boyfriend Brady) to a warehouse to convince them to compete, and, when they refuse, uses Knockout Gas
so they can be converted into ponies
. Now these 38 teens (plus Josh and Blaineley) find themselves in a strange world of talking ponies and must learn to get along with the locals and compete in more insane challenges and deal with Chris and his new co-hosts, Discord, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, in addition to keeping their true nature a secret. Meanwhile a mysterious one-eyed pony from Equestria's past is wandering around searching for some ancient weapon.
The completed story can be found here
A sequel had been in the works, but as of May 2017, the project had been cancelled, and both Total Drama Equestria and its' sequel were taken out of JusSonic
's My Little Pony story-verse. Currently, a reboot of the entire franchise is in the works, with more focus on the Total Drama characters and little-to-no My Little Pony.
There is an Everything Wrong With in the works being written by rcmero, as shown here: http://rcmero.webs.com/tde/
This story features examples of:
- The Atoner:
- Mike is hoping to make up for what he did as Mal back in "All-Stars."
- Also Ezekiel, who apologizes for his actions in "Zeek and Ye Shall Find."
- Baleful Polymorph:
- All the TDI cast (and Brady) get turned into ponies. Averted with Chris and Chef though.
- In one chapter, Celestia turns Chris into a frog after he rants/whines about Ezekiel being changed back to normal one too many times.
- Berserk Button:
- Twilight's is anyone harming Nyx, or calling her a Mary Sue or a Scrappy, something Jo learned the hard way. She also doesn't like it when you tell everyone that she and Celestia are a couple.
- Ben's is anyone hitting on Twilight; Alejandro really should've known better.
- Heather's is Alejandro hitting on her, as she has a new boyfriend now.
- Don't you dare say that Grimmore is more evil than Chris.
- Don't try to provoke Sunset on her past. Scarlett learned that the hard way.
- Big Bad: Tuerto, although Scott is one for the actual game.
- Big "NO!": Heather gives several of these upon learning she won't be getting a free car and was tricked by Chris. Courtney gives one later for the same reason. (According to a tally Izzy made, Gwen apparently gave the most of these out of everyone).
- Book Ends: The Total Drama cast got tricked by an offer for free cars from Chris in order to get them to compete in the new season. In the very final chapter of the fic, Chris ends up giving the Total Drama gang their own cars.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:
- Pinkie as usual, and now Izzy seems to be able to do it as well.
- Both Pinkie and Izzy sometimes actually reads the script in the confessional.
- After winning the Element recreation challenge for her team, Izzy comments that she is Crazy Awesome and wants to be acknowledged as such if anyone makes a TV Tropes page for the story.
- Butt-Monkey: Justin seems to get the hurt the most. Alejandro too, for the aftermaths, as no one there treats him with any respect (of course, he deserves it).
- Character Exaggeration: Jo on the series is mean-spirited and definitely worthy of being on the Villainous Vultures, but not outright malicious. This version is a straight up bad guy, who hates Nyx for no discernible reason (even openly threatening to kill her), shows no respect to the world's leaders, and calls several dumb contestants "retards." She gets better in the Aftermath shows, but it was still out of character, even for Jo.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: Alejandro does this in one of the Aftermaths, after Gwen makes up with Courtney "lesbians."
- Continuity Lockout: If you are not familiar with several of JusSonic's other works, then several things will not make sense to you. note . To help alleviate this, the first three chapters of the story is mostly spent, if not focusing on the Total Drama characters or their antics, introducing JusSonic's version of the My Little Pony-verse, including the villains that have been fought in earlier works.
- Crazy-Prepared: Brick says that Twilight is this after she traps him when he attempts to steal the crystal chest, even saying that someone should say Twilight is this on the work's page.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- Blaineley's reactions to the ponies. It's what eventually leads to her elimination, as Celestia fears her hugging all the ponies in sight will give away that they are humans.
- In the dare challenge, Duncan can't bring himself to break his Pinkie Promise to Nyx due to this.
- A Death in the Limelight: Chances are if a contestant is heavily focused on during a chapter, then they're the one going home.
- Death Glare:
- All the contestants give Chris one when he asks them if he would ever hurt them.
- Zoey gives Anne Maria one when she reminisces on her "good times" with Vito.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: After Chris watches Heather hug her stuffed cat on camera, he comments having seen it before, making Celestia upset that he looked in on the girls. Chef then notes that they often used the cameras to spy on the girls in the shower; Chris then tries to explain himself, before Luna tells him to think before he speaks.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Nobody on Alejandro's team likes or listens to him, despite his being the team captain, because his reputation has preceded him. This continues even after his elimination.
- Early-Bird Cameo: From the writers' views, some of the Pahkitew Island contestants were confirmed to be as such.
- Evil Cripple: Heather's pegasus form ends up with a busted wing due to her not being ready during the transformation.
- Face Palm:
- Film Fic: The third challenge was based around the four cartoons that played the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, specifically Woody Woodpecker's "Convict Concerto", Tom and Jerry's "Cat Concerto", and the Merrie Melodies shorts "Rhapsody Rabbit" and "Rhapsody in Rivets".
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A couple of 'Private' jokes from the early chapters made it into the story. To be more specific, Twilight's reference to 'if it's not on the bottom, it's on the top' in Chapter 3, and the Mane Six talking about Geoff's... "area" in Chapter 5 as a reason why they were freaked out on Geoff and Bridgette making out.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Sierra over Cody & Sadie being so close. In actuality, the two are Just Friends, and Cody says he wants to be with Sierra, provided she tones down the crazy, which her being jealous of the two doesn't help.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.:
- Bridgette goes into one after breaking up with Geoff,and his subsequent elimination. It takes a while for her to get out of it.
- Chris goes into one after realizing the contestants are in danger from Tuerto. It also gets really deeper after he talks with Blaineley.
- How Do I Used Tense?: All over the place.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: The reason Tuerto turned evil; he found out how humans treat ponies back in the 1980s, when people were still using ponies/other animals for their experiments. Today, there are companies that protect animals from this abuse, but the damage had been done, Tuerto would most likely not care about what humans do to ponies or other animals nowadays.
- Humiliation Conga: Not only do Courtney & Duncan end up handcuffed together, but Harold sabotages the goodbye pie the others gave them causing them to be covered with sugar and bitten by fire ants.
- Loophole Abuse: Izzy gets back together with Owen, on the grounds that it was her "Brainzilla" personality that broke up with him, not her.
- Mega Crossover: The final few chapters had OTHER characters from other worlds actually coming in... There's Bucky Katt from Get Fuzzy, who has been hinted at since the beginning, Roger Smith from American Dad! had a bit role in the last three chapters, and the Mew Mews from Tokyo Mew Mew actually made their appearance in different identities long before their big reveal.
- Mirror Match: Izzy and Pinkie do this immediately on meeting each other. Not surprisingly, they become fast friends.
- Mistaken for Gay:
- B assumed Gwen and Courtney were lesbians, until Scott told him otherwise. The idea of Courtney being a lesbian turned into a running gag.
- Staci's lies later lead several ponies to think Twilight is this for Celestia, much to her displeasure.
- The Musical: This fanfiction is labeled as such, whether it be from the My Little Pony songs or songs that are parodied lyrics from other songs, such as Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, various Peanuts productions and other songs.
- Mythology Gag: The titles for the episodes are modified titles of Friendship is Magic's first season episodes
- My God, What Have I Done?: Chris gets this after realizing he'd brought the teens into a world where a crazy human hating pony is on the loose, causing him to go into a Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Not Quite Dead: The fate of those that are "parafried."
- Not So Different: Several of the transformed teens find themselves easily bonding with members of the Mane Six or their families,, due to shared interests. These pairings include Twilight & Noah, Izzy & Pinkie, Lindsay & Rarity, DJ/Dawn & Fluttershy and Mike & Nyx.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Chris's reaction upon finding out that Celestia invited Blaineley and Josh to participate in the season.
- Gwen, upon learning that the only two contestants left for her team are Trent and Duncan.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: Even though this is still part of JusSonic's written universe of MLP fics, the Total Drama characters, interestingly enough, get a lot more screentime than the My Little Pony characters (with the exceptions of Celestia, Luna and Discord). Characters like the Mane Six and Ben Mare took a backseat this time. This is mainly because this is a set-up for another universe written by Orange Ratchet focusing on the Total Drama characters.
- Reality Ensues: Upon learning they've been turned into ponies, Gwen, Scott, B and Alejandro's reactions are to panic, as any normal person would.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Heather gives one to Alejandro RIGHT before his eviction.
- Scarlett gives one to Sunset in the third Aftermath Show.
- Religion of Evil: Basically, as the Tuerto side-plot starts going underway with the Total Drama cast, they eventually start piecing together the mystery of Tuerto's possession and why he became this way. Doesn't stop them from wanting to kill Tuerto, though.
- Rousing Speech:
- Chris gives one of these to the cast to persuade them to participate in the season. Naturally, it fails.
- Brick gives one to the Mane Six before the "face the physical manifestations of your fears" contest. Unlike Chris, his works.
- Running Gag:
- Chris calling people who oppose Ezekiel's transformation a kobold necromancer and them replying that they have nothing to do with the dark arts.
- Pinkie Pie ending up in the confessional, even though she isn't even playing the game or even aware of what it is, and Chris or Chef commenting on it.
- Chef getting Miss Harshwhinny's name wrong.
- Courtney in the confessional insisting she is not a lesbian, then beginning to wonder if maybe she is.
- Justin doing something to upset Diamond Tiara, resulting in her bodyguard, Maxim Talos, beating the horseapples out of him.
- Chris getting mad whenever someone says that Grimmore is more evil than him.
- Schmuck Bait: Chris lures the kids to the warehouse with a flyer promising each of them a free car. Not one of them questioned it, despite how suspicious it should be. Beth even points out her flyer specifically told her to bring Brady, yet she still fell for it.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Despite alicorns on the show being very rare, here there's a whole team note of them. Nobody thinks to comment on this.
- Ship Tease: Between Katie and Noah, and later, Dawn and B.
- Shipper on Deck: Sadie, Cody, and Twilight shipped Noah and Katie together. Twilight even shipped Gwen and Trent together.
- Something Only They Would Say: After learning about the Changelings, Owen begins to suspect that Izzy might be one. When she fails to reassure him that she isn't, he asks her to do something only "the real Izzy" would do, resulting in her planting one on him.
- Song Parody: There are quite a few littered throughout the whole story (minus some songs that used the whole lyrics from actual movies).
- The Stations of the Canon: The first elimination challenge involves the cast going through the same challenges the Mane Six went through in the first episode (with a few added surprises, courtesy of Chris and Discord) with some of the TDI teens reenacting parts of that episode (for example, Izzy singing a modified version of "Giggle at the Ghosties").
- Status Quo Is God: Averted in the case of this fic, because unlike in other JusSonic fics where normally the villain gets revived back to life either joining a new side or turns into a good guy, Tuerto actually stays dead for good. This could be due to the fact that Tuerto belongs to Orange Ratchet, who, according to Word of God, wanted to keep faithful to the original unpublished story he made as a kid about Tuerto.
- Suddenly Voiced: B can speak as an alicorn, explaining his previous lack of talking as believing people wouldn't be able to understand what he was saying.
- Take That!:
- One to Cupcakes; Pinkie gives the teens cupcakes she claims contain "pony parts" and after they spit them out, says she was just joking because "I ain't a pony killer."
- When Noah wonders if them becoming ponies means they're gonna cosplay as furries, Chris has this to say:
Chris: (scoffs) No. Cosplaying is for people dressing up in costumes and going to cons, and being a furry is for perverts because they don't have lives.
Noah: Whereas, we're being ponies, going to some 'enchanted world', and it's for the contestants that DO have lives.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Courtney says this word for word when Chris proposes the new season.
- This Is Reality: Upon seeing the promo video Discord shot, Gwen's first words are "wait a minute, is this animated? This can't be real." This coming from a girl in an animated spoof of reality shows.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Being transformed into ponies restores Ezekiel and Dakota back to their non-mutant selves (well, minus being turned into ponies, of course), much to the chagrin of Chris. This carries over into their eliminations, as when Dakota gets eliminated, she returns as her normal human self, as opposed to Dakotazoid.
- Token Evil Teammate: Alejandro for the Flying Pegasuses and Scott and Lightning (and later Jo) for the Groundin' Earth Ponies.
- Took a Level in Badass: Several of the show's weakest characters (Cody, Cameron, Harold, and Beth) are now alicorns.
- The Unreveal: Heather's boyfriend. He's been mentioned plenty of times, but the best anybody (even Alejandro) can get out of his name is Bu...
- What the Hell, Hero?: Luna asks this when she learns that, during a fit of anger over Ben's disappearance, Celestia destroyed Twilight's favorite stuffed bee. This can also be a reference to My Little Pony: The Mentally Advanced Series.
- Working with the Ex: Gwen is stuck with Trent and Duncan on her team. Gwen eventually gets back with one of them, and it's not Duncan...
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Scott pulls this on Lightning once his plans to break up the girls' alliance fails.
The sequel features examples of:
- Ain't No Rule / Loophole Abuse: While participating in a challenge to get through the Canterlot hedge maze, Izzy just starts running through the hedges themselves, with B noting that they were never told they couldn't do that.
- Also, Dawn uses her powers to an extent.
- Ascended Extra: The Pahkitew island contestants only made brief appearances in the original; they're actually competing in this one.
- Also Bucky Katt , Heather's boyfriend, who only made a cameo in the original, is now an intern for the competition.
- Baleful Polymorph: The story is kicked off when Chris Mclean is turned into a pony by an unknown individual. Averted with the contestants, who are competing as normal humans instead of ponies this time around.
- Also Bucky, but that's to be expected, since he was already turned human in the Total Drama Verse.
- Call-Forward: While discussing the Equestria Girls universe, Zoey mentions having heard they were preparing for their annual Friendship Games.
- Crazy-Prepared: Upon hearing that Blaineley is coming back to Equestria, the Mane Six immediately don armor to prevent her from hugging them again.
- Easily Forgiven: Despite everything he tried to do to her in the Pahkitew Island finale, Sky has forgiven Dave and they've made up and started a relationship.
- Even Evil Has Standards: After hearing how several of his old allies attempted to murder Lorcan while he was in a coma, note Max mentions that he would never attack anyone while they were asleep.
- Insistent Terminology: The good cheerleader twin is called Sammy by everyone but Amy. Justified, since that's her real name and "Samey" is just Amy's cruel nickname for her.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: That Bridgette won the first TDE.
- Not Me This Time: Celestia & Luna insist they had nothing to do with Chris being turned into a pony.
- Token Evil Teammate: Alejandro for the Trusting Geezers and Amy, Scarlett, & Sugar for the Loving Youngsters.
- Unfortunate Name: The Trusting Geezers; Heather even notes it makes them sounds like old people, though Celestia explained it was chosen because they are the contestants from the older seasons