Fanfic: The Worst That Could Happen
The Worst That Could Happen is a Glee slash fanfic by LucyToo. It is set post-New York(well, Prom Queen at least) and centers around the relationship between Kurt and Dave in the aftermath of Dave getting gay-bashed.Trigger warning
This fanfic includes examples the following tropes:
- Cry into Chest
- Deadpan Snarker: Kurt (as he is in canon) and Dave.
- Die for Our Ship: This fic is notable for its utter aversion of this trope, treating Blaine with genuine sympathy and never once demonizing or trivializing his relationship with Kurt.
- Everything Sounds Sexier In Russian
- It's All My Fault: Kurt feels this way because he'd urged Dave to come out, and Dave was kicked out of his house and raped. He spends most of the book ridden by guilt, but a session with Dr. Maddie leads him to realize that Dave alone was responsible for Dave's actions and their repercussions.
- I Warned You: Both Burt and Mercedes to Kurt after the fiasco with Blaine.
- Mood Whiplash: This story can go from chuckling about shwarmwa to having a Freak Out over a nightmare in a matter of sentences.
- Oblivious to Love: Kurt is, as far as Dave is concerned. As Blaine puts it, "I think when you decided that you liked me and we began a relationship, you considered the matter to be settled entirely. You never look around at anyone else, and you never notice the guys who look at you."
- Rape as Drama: Oh yeah.
- Love Epiphany: (Finally) happens to Kurt because of a session with Dr. Maddie.
- Poor Communication Kills: If Kurt had just told Dave he told Blaine about the rape, the Breadstix mess would have gone much, much better. Or if someone had just told Kurt how in love with Dave he was, he might not have invited Blaine over in the first place.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Blaine.
- Second Love: Dave, for Kurt. One of the most-praised aspects of this fic is that while Kurt/Dave is clearly endgame, Kurt's feelings for Blaine are never trivialized or implied to be anything less than absolutely real.
- Shipper on Deck: Mercedes for Kurt and Blaine. Until the end, of course.
- Tear Jerker
- Tempting Fate: When the title of the fic is "The Worst That Could Happen," you know it won't be a happy story. In-universe, Kurt says this in one of his e-mail conversations with Dave.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted with Dr. Maddie.
- What an Idiot: Kurt really should have known better than to invite his boyfriend over to "show Dave what a real gay couple is like." Mercedes and Burt both point this out, and the reader cannot help but cringe at the disaster that ensues.