Mob: "Isn't that sweet. The Huyga princess has fallen in love with the Demon."
Hinata: "Yes Naruto. I love you. I have always loved you. Ever since that day when you stood up for me in front of those bullies."
Mob: "Pfft. Looks like we'll be doing you a favor. Anyone who thinks they could love a Demon deserves to die just like that piece of trash! Do you even know why he is the piece of trash he is?"
Hinata: "Yes! I know why HE IS the greatest person in this village. He has sacrificed himself all these years to keep you safe and all you've done is repaid him with neglect and hatred!"The Uzumaki Tales: Return of the Whirlpool is a Naruto fanfic that starts off a simple premise: what if the Kyuubi is not actually evil and gets into contact with Naruto much earlier? This and other changes cause ripples that completely change the story.Naruto Uzumaki has finally made it and became a ninja of the village of Konoha, although he initially does not work well together with his new team mates Sasuke and Sakura. Only during their first mission outside the walls of town he does get into contact with the demon sealed within him and comes to some surprsing conclusions. At the same time, Hinata Hyuga, nominal heiress to the Hyuga clan but suffering of low self-confidence, is still disappointed that her crush Naruto is on a different team. Little do both of them know that their fates are closely connected and give them rich reward in the end.The story has finished the original Naruto-years, as well as the training years, and now is in the Shippuden-era, although this means little considering how much the story has changed by now.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: We never saw much of the Hyuga clan in canon. In this story it is shown why they are one of the big clans of Konoha and how powerful the Byakugan actually is.
- Big Bad: Since there is no Sorting Algorithm of Evil, there are several people fighting for the title. Here are parts of their rep-sheets (the whole thing would be way too long) just to show how nasty each of them is.
- Orochimaru: While originally sort of a Starter Villain in canon, he here is far more deadly.
- Developed a curse-mark that practically is a slave-branding and does lots of nasty stuff - basically a slow corruption.
- Led an invasion of Konoha that resulted in many deaths and lots of suffering. Personally murdered the Third Hokage.
- Responsible for countless deaths in horrific genetic experiments, which are clear crimes against humanity.
- Organizes kidnappings for said experiments, including children, fully expecting them to not survive.
- Although not having planned this, killing the leader of the Village of the Waterfall in one of his plots leads to Fu nearly getting killed about a year later.
- Itachi Uchiha: If you want a completely cold, sociopathic, mass-murdering bastard, look no further than here.
- Personally massacred the entire Uchiha clan - including even children - in cold blood and without hesitation.
- Spared his own brother, just to treat him like crap and almost kill him on several occassions.
- Is involved with an organization that could end the world as we know it, and yet doesn't blink an eye at the consequences.
- Being involved with said organization leads to countless more crimes he did over the years.
- Obito Uchiha, alias Madara Uchiha, alias Tobi: This guy does take the cake.
- Personally responsible for causing the Kyuubi-disaster in Konoha, leading to much death and destruction, as well as the death of Naruto's parents. He in effect therefore is also indirectly responsible for all the suffering Naruto had to go through over the years.
- Leads an organiztion whose goal essentially would destroy the world. He however doesn't care at all.
- All the crimes done by said organization therefore are his fault as well.
- Danzo: While he hasn't done much yet, he's shown to mass up his power and he can strike far closer to home and where it really hurts.
- Orochimaru: While originally sort of a Starter Villain in canon, he here is far more deadly.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Above situation leads to this.
- Body Horror: Of course everything Orochimaru does. It dos get taken to eleven with his genetic experiments.
- Corrupt Politician: The Civilian Council is certainly this, as they are very egoistical, corrupt and when the civilians do warm up to Naruto, they reveal it was mostly them who had fanned the flames of hatred.
- So corrupt that it's revealed that Sasuke's fangirl problem is mostly due to them, out of hope he would enact the CRA and take their daughters and other female relatives as his wives so they may gain a stake in the Uchiha Clan in the pursuit of more power. Unlike most fanfic portrayals, it's explicitly shown that Sasuke hates them (and has always hated them), due to the fangirl problem and their constant pampering of him, making it seem as if he had no merit to his success as a shinobi.
- The Raikage of Kumo certainly fits as well, considering the things he pulled during the Chunin exam.
- The Corrupter: Comedic version. Both Jiraiya and Kakashi are shown to have turned their students, Naruto and Sasuke respectively, into perverts over the Time Skip. Naruto is designated to become the next writer of Icha Icha, while Sasuke reads the book like Kakashi does. Jiraiya is also the one shown to have taught the young and still innocent Hiashi the... advantages of having a Byakugan.
- Covert Pervert: Jiraiya calls the Hyuga clan "the biggest closet perverts in all of Konoha," mainly because of the Byakugan. As he points out, their compound is one kilometer away from the hot springs in Konoha, far enough not to put up any flags, but close enough in order to take advantage of their... gift.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Team 7 of course is this, and unlike in canon, it holds.
- Government Conspiracy: Keeping the population (and actually almost everyone) ignorant of Naruto's ancestry until he turns 16 is this, although in this case it is done to protect him.
- Large Ham: Gai is perhaps the biggest Ham in the entire world and he has even managed to weaponize it!
- His student Rock Lee is still learning, but he's quite good at it as well.
- Official Couple: So far, we have Naruto/Hinata, Sasuke/Sakura, Neji/Tenten, Lee/Yakumo, Iruka/Ayama, and Shino/Fu. Along with all that is the canon couple of Asuma/Kurenai.
- Papa Wolf: Hiashi in many ways is very protective of his children. Kiba does learn this the hard way and he has no trouble to threaten to castrate Jiraiya (one of the strongest ninja in the world, and his former sensei) if he does anything perverted in Hinata's presence. He's also very protective of Neji, especially when the branding is involved, and while he never says it, it's clear he considers Neji as much as a son as he does Hinata and Hanabi as his daughters.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Hiashi Hyuga. Unlike his usual fanon portrayals, he's very reasonable and very unlike the other main house members of the clan, who are pricks. However, woe upon you if you hurt his children, and that includes Neji. He's also one of the few who knows Naruto's heritage, having been a teammate and close friend of Minato.
- Secret Police: Although ROOT is not yet featured prominently, the huge problem and amorality it presents is shown in dialogue by Tsunade. Danzo himself is shown several times scheming as well, preparing to make his move.
- Shaming the Mob: Hinata does this to the mob chasing Naruto, although she and some others have to add serious ass-kicking to make it stick.
- Sore Loser: The whole village of Kumo didn't take their embarrassing results in the Chunin Exams well. The sore loser aspect comes from essentially throwing out the other villages before they could win fair and square in the final round. They were especially harsh to Konoha, since they had the most genin in the finals and all the Kumo genin that were pitted against them lost.
- The Hyuga elders when they lose their bet with Hiashi after Hinata absolutely crushes Shinji and pretty much ends his shinobi career. They attempt to brand Hanabi, knowing full well that Hinata would most likely volunteer in her place, but are foiled by the terms of the bet which state that Hinata is immune to being sealed. Hiashi then names Hanabi the clan heir, ensuring that both sisters will never get the Caged Bird Seal.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Averted like hell.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Multiple examples, prominent examples are Zabuza and Haku.
- Stations Of The Canon: The author actually apologizes at the start for this. Things start to get mixed up during the Land of the Waves and then when Orochimaru fails to give Sasuke the curse mark, before they go completely off-rails when Jiraiya completely blows off Orochimaru's arms, thus forcing him to completely change his plans and strategy.
- Swiss-Army Superpower: While the Byakugan was in canon hinted to be this, here it is shown how versatile it actually is. Besides battle it has contless other uses in ninja and civilian life and even the Power Perversion Potential is hinted at.
- Take That: The Sasuke fangirls are an obviously parody of die-hard Sasuke fans that tend to cause flamewars.
- Torches and Pitchforks: The whole village of Kumo when they turn sore loser on Konoha.
- The pitchforks are not present in the mobs chasing Naruto on his birthday, since these were attracting too much attention.
- Training from Hell: Gai's training regime is this. As Kiba learns the hard way after he got Hinata hurt due to his stupidity.
- True Companions: The Konoha 13 are showing signs of this. By the time the Time Skip rolls around, the strength of their bond easily surpasses the strength of the one in canon.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Hanabi has to throw up — last thing we see of her is running out of the room to find a bathroom.
- The Unfavourite: Hinata is this to the Hyuga main line elders. Regardless what she does, they still can't stand her. Good thing her father no longer thinks that way and loves both of his children.
- Also goes for Neji, who is looked down upon by the elders since he comes from a branch family and they instead favor the far less competent Shinji, who is from the main line. It comes to bite them big time when Neji does get promoted to Chunin and Shinji get branded (not that it does much after he got his chakra permanently damaged by Hinata) for dishonoring the clan with his actions.