Fan Fic: The Unexpected Love Life of Dusk Shine
Twilight Sparkle was never born. As a mare, anyway. Instead, this story stars the young colt Dusk Shine, personal protégé of Celestia, asocial bookworm, and (unknownst to him) super-cute pretty boy.
When Celestia sends Dusk Shine to Ponyville, all he wants to do is prepare for Nightmare Moon’s return. But when five certain mares each develop a massive crush on Dusk, he’ll have more on his plate than Twilight ever did.
TL;DR: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic mixed with Harem Comedy
. Word of God
is that all Harem Genre hijinks are intended as an experiment to see how well the anime genre carries over. So far, the experiment is going swimmingly
. Your mileage may vary, though, as some dislike it for the way the characters act compared to their canon personalities, especially "Dusk" himself. However, meme decided to go ahead and cancel the fic upon uploading the second chapter of the Sonic Rainboom arc.
Can be read here
The artist who contributed the cover art has started a manga adaptation
of it here.
NOTE: The author is apparently One of Us
. He's even been pointing tropes he deliberately invoked/noticed as he went along. As such, we've thrown his responses in verbatim. Such are the cases for the YMMV bullets.
The fic has been under a bit of Retcon
after it changed authors. The original author, meme-asaurus, has cancelled the original fic, but it lives on by the name of The Unexpetected Love Life of Dusk Shine Continues
by White Rabbit
Tropes in The Unexpected Love Life Of Dusk Shine and The Unexpetected Love Life of Dusk Shine Continues:
- Aborted Arc: The Winter Wrapup episode was skipped completely, mainly due to the author having difficulties establishing a winter having happened within the more constrained timeframe of the fic. (In the show, it's assumed that the winter takes place outside of the episodes.)
- Unfortunately, the original story itself. Meme ended it after losing interest, among other things. However, meme was kind enough to leave behind spoilers for what was to come. That is, until White Rabbit's Retcon.
- Dusk and Luna's dream kid was going to be Nyx, with Dusk being the one to pay child support.
- At one point, Applejack was going to be the mare who won Dusk. When she ran off after The Last Roundup, she was going to have sex with Dusk in his sleep before she went, leading to a pregnancy scare. And then meme had the idea for Luna's dream sexcapades.
- A Dog and Pony Show was going to be a long chapter ending in a short "Dear Princess Celestia" letter. ("Rarity scares me sometimes.")
- The entire Gala included the five girls attempting to drag Dusk off on their escapades. Luna was going to have her guards kidnap Dusk for an all-night gaming session, where Dusk had never touched a controller in his life. Rarity was going to meet Blueblood, who was trapped in an endless Groundhog Day loop on Gala night, and they would argue over whose night was worse. Trixie would try to impress Dusk by using an old magic tome (The Necronomicon) and end up summoning zombies.
- Gilda was to show up as a member of Appleloosa's weather team with Lightning Dust, leading Dash to question her feelings for Gilda, leading to them becoming a beta couple.
- Dusk was going to become an alicorn.
- Clover's Soul Gem was going to get smashed, leaving her in limbo, where she would encounter Discord. Discord would free her if she did some intell-gathering on the Elements so Discord could corrupt them.
- Fluttershy was supposed to be a futanari. She would end up flashing the crowd during Green Isn't Your Color, but thereafter devolve ino a sputtering mess whenever it was brought up.
- People were apparently asking for an Equestria Girl's chapter done Dusk-style, with Flash Sentry/Dusk bromance and a jealous Spike.
- Abridged Series: In a manner of speaking, it is. It takes the base plotlines of the show, mixes things up, adds shout-outs, throws in humor, and all of this using no clips from the actual show itself.
- Accidental Pervert: See Crash-Into Hello.
- In this instance. Take note that Dusk, while every bit the recluse Twilight is, is shown to be quite the pervert himself, both by Spike's accounts and several of his trains of thoughts.
- Actor Allusion: Pinkie notes that she and Fluttershy have the same voice actress. She uses this as a justification for the fact that him dating Fluttershy is like him dating her.
- The Ace: Shining Armor
- Aloof Big Brother: Again, Shining Armor.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: On one hand, Pinkie Pie/Surprise is technically an Imaginary Friend that developed into a Not-So-Imaginary Friend and possessed a sadistic-but-relatively-innocent filly, but then again, she’s helped bring joy to the world by being one of the nicest ponies around, throwing parties even for complete strangers, and saving Equestria by coincidentally being the Element of Laughter.
- Attempted Rape: Nightmare Moon to Dusk.
- Awesome McCoolname: Fluttershy's full name is revealed to be Fluttershy Bloodsplatter Hurricane.
- Badass: Angel is more or less characterized as a cross between William Wallace, Leonidas, and Duke Nukem.
- Beauty Mark: Manga!Rarity has a star shaped one underneath her left eye.
- Berserk Button: It's probably not a good idea to wake up a nocturnal near-omnipotent being up in the middle of the day.
- Bishōnen: The story's description outright calls Dusk a pretty boy.
- Black Comedy Rape: Pinkie Pie comes uncomfortably close to this in "Pinkieception" when she gives Dusk an unsolicited hoofjob in the bathtub, which he himself describes as molestation.
- Brain Bleach: You will never look at Spike's "Royal Canterlot Business" the same again. The author recommends readers to auto-induce brain damage as a remedy for the text guilty of this crime.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Pinkie Pie, to the point of addiction. It got so bad, readers got annoyed and asked meme-asaurus to stop. He then set it up as Pinkie being addicted to breaking the fourth wall and attempting to stop. Emphasis on attempting. And then Pinkieception Part 3 explains why this is so...
- Seems to be very much toned down in the manga adaptation, however, along with fandom in-jokes.
- Breakout Character: Princess Platinum.
- Bromantic Foil: Dusk Shine and Spike. Dusk is even asked to be the latter's Wingpony! Which considering Spike isn't the main lead, you can see how well that goes.
- Butt Monkey: Dusk Shine, even more so than Twilight.
- Call Back: At the end of Pinkieception, Fluttershy's diary entry notes that her recently-learned Fire Breath shout proved to be a most effective tool in scaring off the hydra.
- Also, Pinkie Pie asks Luna if Dusk lasts longer than fifteen seconds to Princess Luna during her rounds of dream sex with Dusk.
- More for Fluttershy. During the famous "yay" scene at the beginning of "Sonic Rainboom", she screams FUS RO DAH! instead of the last "yay."
- Cerebus Roller Coaster: Chapter 1 ends with a silly note promising Unwanted Harem shenanigans and reference-based humor. Cue chapter 2, ending with Dusk getting knocked out and dragged into Pinkamena's basement. Chapter 3 starts with a Pulp Fiction quote and a Tear Jearking flashback from Pinkie's perspective. Chapter 4 comes back with more humor. That should give you some perspective.
- Childhood Friend Romance: When Pinkie Pie has Dusk inside her mind, her Surprise persona befriends Dusk as a filly for this purpose, even going so far as quipping that "childhood friends make great love interests!"
- Comic Book Adaptation: the aforementioned manga adaptation mentioned & linked above
- Conspiracy Theorist: Dusk complains that he's often written off as this by other ponies.
- Crack Fic: Chapter one (Which retells the first two episodes) contains a lot of Meta humor and Lemony Narrator. Chapter two, short though it is in comparison to chapter one, seems to tone this down.
- Though it's taken steps back to crack, shifting the focus from the harem plot to other side characters, weird backstories and Slenderpony parody.
- Crash-Into Hello: Dusk Shine's face, meet Rainbow Dash's flank.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dusk, you make Twilight proud.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Dusk ignores the whole scene with Steven Magnet because he's too busy glaring at wet-maned Rarity.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Pinkamena.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Used constantly, especially in the beginning of Chapter Three.
- Enfant Terrible: Pinkamena. She killed a puppy at four months old.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Clover and Platinum got their own story because of how well-received their characters were.
- Equine Abomination: The Slenderpony, and Scootaloo, since she's his daughter. Her true and horrifying natural form is that of gen 3.5 Scootaloo.
- Erotic Dream: Dusk apparently has a bunch of these, courtesy of Princess Luna.
- First Filly Wins : Pinkie is shooting for this.
- The Fantastic Trope of Wonderous Titles
- First Kiss: Dusk's first is taken by Luna.
- This even leads to Dusk having a bit of a thing for her, if The Rise of Dovahshy Part 1 is any indication (he gets a letter from Celestia saying that Luna misses him, but the offending line is crossed out by presumably her. Dusk attempts to write Celestia back, but can't get a letter right. One of the messed up letters simply says "I miss Luna too.")
- It goes beyond that. Dusk's been having dreams involving having sex with Season2!Luna without knowing it was her. He's not exactly as opposed to the idea as he was when Pinkie tried to give him a hoof job.
- She gets pregnant from her dream-encounters with Dusk and has been attempting to send him letters to let him know of the situation. However, Dusk has yet to hear of this, as Spike has been left in charge of the library while Dusk's in Cloudsdale.
- Foreshadowing: Early in chapter one, Dash mentions when she brushes of Nightmare Moon's death threat that, amoung other things, she can't die yet because she 'hasn't banged that one geek yet', and in the chapters covering the Gala Ticket episode, Dusk makes mention about how one of the main reasons Dash wants him to pick her is because 'she wants to clop him in public'. Guess which one of the mane cast Dusk ends up losing his virginity to way later in the fic. (Though, granted, it was unintentional. They were both drugged out on poison joke at the time... It Makes Sense In Context. Rainbow Dash is still content with it though.)
- They might have been hallucinating, because Dusk doesn't remember but Dash does. And since Dusk has been managing to pacify his friends without doing the deed with them in the latest chapters, it leads us to believe it probably was just Dashie hallucinating.
- Former Child Star: Pipsqueak was apparently a pony version of Justin Bieber. He hated it. Likewise, Vinyl Scratch's first song was Friday.
- Freudian Slip: Pinkamena, in Pinkieception Part 3.
"“I don’t want to be free! I don’t want your help! I don’t want to separated from Pinkie! I don’t want to be all alone again!”
- Fridge Horror: All of the following, according to Word of God.
"Don’t you think that if your long-forgotten imaginary friend came to life one day and forcefully gave you a handjob, wouldn’t it be kinda... creepy? I mean, wouldn’t that imply that your inner child is chalk-full of sexual fantasies and desires?"
- Generation Xerox: Inverted. Fluttershy and her great-great-great-(repeat as necessary)-grandfather Commander Hurricane are as different from each other as can be, aside from sharing their species and the power of Thu'um. Also played straight in that just like Hurricane, Fluttershy eventually associated with a group of five ponies quite similar to the ones Hurricane befriended in Equestria´s origin story.
- Genre Savvy: Rainbow Dash quickly clues in that the Shadowbolts only want to lure her away from the group and are a trick of Nightmare Moon's.
- Grand Theft Me: Princess Platinum and Clover the Clever (two of Equestria's original founders) are alive and well thanks to trapping their souls in jewelry and possessing the wearers. Platinum hit a snag when her bracelet was stolen and ended up on Rarity's cat. Clover on the other hand is living the good life as Hoity Toity.
- Groin Attack: Whenever Pinkie Pie/Pinkamena whips out a crowbar, expect Dusk Shine to be dealt a low blow.
- Harem Nanny: Too early to tell for sure, but evidence points to Celestia becoming this.
- He's Not My Boyfriend: Applejack's reaction when Granny Smith calls Dusk AJ's boyfriend.
- Hive Mind: The Parasprites, fittingly enough. As seen in the show, they are Explosive Breeders, so this is probably justified.
- Hot for Teacher: When he was younger, Dusk had a crush on Princess Celestia. She turned him down because, aside from him being eleven at the time, she's a lesbian.
- Trixie, after Dusk agrees to take her on as his apprentice.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: The first thing Nightmare Moon does after smashing the elements is try to force herself on Dusk.
- Immortality Immorality: Soul Gems, which don’t just appear in the The Elder Scrolls.
- Intoxication Ensues: After everypony touches the Poison Joke and stay awake all night trying to search for the lost foals.
- Derpy praises Pinkamena's trap muffin for Gilda to kingdom come, causing Gilda to try to take the apparently delicious sweet back...until the instant the muffin hits Derpy's digestive system, which is when Derpy beings to vomit all over Gilda and Pinkie.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Dusk agrees with Pinkamina about Rarity having already planned her foals' names, especially coupled with the extremely detailed fantasy about her wedding, is really creepy.
- Karma Houdini: Clover and Platinum.
- Lemony Narrator: Highly present in chapter one, less so in chapter two.
- He's back in full force as of Ch. 9.
- Lethal Chef: Applejack when delirious due to lack of sleep, as the show can attest. Heavily exploited by Pinkamena.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Celestia.
- Love Chart: Dusk apparently keeps one under lock and key, hoping to Faust that none of the ponies on said list find it.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Nightmare Moon tries to pull it on Rainbow Dash. It fails
- Mare Magnet: Dusk Shine.
- Shining Armor when they were younger, to the point where Dusk's worried Shining Armor has seduced Fluttershy (the only member of his harem he actually wants as a girlfriend).
- Marry Them All: Zecora suggests this to Dusk Shine to solve his Love Dodecahedron issues. When he imagines how it would work out, he is immediately frightened beyond belief.
- My Beloved Smother: Featherweight's mother, Blossomforth, is very protective of her son. To Marissa Benson levels in fact.
- Mythology Gag: In the manga adaptation, when Dusk first meets Rarity and she fixes his mane, she initially styles it like Twilight's.
- Nickname's The Same: Dusk Shine and his brother Shining Armor both call each other "Shiny".
- Nightmare Fuel/To the Pain/Cruel and Unusual Death: The following:
- No Fourth Wall: Pinkie Pie and the author often make references to the canon series, as well as commenting on what's going on in the story and advising readers to comment in the comment section below.
- After some complaints from the readers of Pinkie Pie overdoing the fourth wall gag he's changed it somewhat. She's now portrayed as being addicted to breaking the fourth wall and is trying to tone it down. Emphasis on trying.
- Fast forward to Pinkieception Part 3. We finally find out why she does it so much. It's quite a sad reason.
- Noodle Implements: Pinkie tries to put the author on the spot by gathering random junk to resolve the parasprite invasion with, reasoning that she has to succeed no matter what she brings, or the plot will derail.
- Noodle Incident: Pinkie's last attempt to invent a new type of party sent Gummy to the court for arson. And got Pinkie trapped in a birdcage. And the ninja mafia was involved somehow.
- No-One Could Have Survived That: When soul gems are destroyed, the one who put their soul in the gem dies. Princess Platinum constantly pines for the fact that her best friend Clover's soul gem was shattered many years ago. Actually, Clover's gem, for reasons unexplained, found its way onto Hoity Toity.
- Oh, Crap: The reaction of Dusk Shine and the audience at the cliffhanger for chapter two: Pinkamena comes out to play.
- Applejack's manga-version reaction when Spike informs her the pony she'd just clobbered was the one sent by Princess Celestia to check on her food.
- Overly Long Gag: This one goes on for about half a page.
Pinkie Pie: Those conversations are like, the most interesting talks ever! I mean, there this one time I talked to Derpy about nothing and it lasted for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours...
- Dusk's picnic with Fluttershy in Chapter 27 - 21 pages of awkward silence, entirely represented by "...", repeated over 700 times, which continues for two hours after the two have finished eating.
- Lampshaded by the author twice. First during the chapter, it says "Can you imagine the audio adaptation for this?" and in the author notes he says "If you look closely, one of the ... actually has four dots". Ctrl-F quickly reveals this to be a lie.
- Chapter 34 has Fluttershy trying to get Rainbow Dash to look after the as yet unnamed Tank. The "Please?" "No." exchange goes on for over 20 cycles, before Rainbow Dash tells her to buck off.
- Perverted Drooling: Dusk does this when he first lays eyes on Fluttershy. This predictably scares her.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: The manga version removes a lot of the crack elements and narration of the original story, focusing on the more straightforward Harem Comedy.
- Puff of Logic: How Dusk resolves the "pulling tree into the house" situation of the sleepover.
- Red Baron: The Brilliant and Masculine Dusk Shine.
- Reference Overdosed: Just look at all of them below!
- Rule 63: Played with, in that only one character is switched, and the rest of the story focuses on how relationships may alter to accommodate that change.
- Running Gag: It started with a certain scene from Pulp Fiction. Now everytime Dusk says "What?" around Pinkie Pie, his lower regions end up in a world of hurt.
- Sacred First Kiss: Rarity is quite upset that Luna stole Dusk's before she did.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Played with. Meme-asaurus cuts to the next scene after suggestive dialogue between Pinkie and Dusk. Pinkie says that they should not bring up what just happen, so as to make the readers think they went all the way. Nothing actually happened, and according to Dusk, they just appeared in the basement of his library after the scene change.
- Shout-Out: At this rate, we're going to need a new page soon.
- The first part of Chapter 3 is a reference to the "What?" scene from Pulp Fiction.
What ain’t no country I’ve ever heard of! They speak Equuish in What?
- In the first part of the Applebuck Season chapter (chapter 5), Applejack is unsure of Rainbow's catapult stunt plan, specifically because Derpy built it.
- Sixth Ranger: Trixie is now living under Dusk Shine's roof.
- Hot for Teacher: Trixie is now both part of Dusk's harem and his pupil (at least she said she hopes to be).
- Speed Sex: Well, sort of. they never actually do the deed, but when Pinkie has Dusk in his bathtub, she... er... hoofs him, and he lasts all of fifteen seconds. She's disappointed, and he's embarrassed.
- Split Personality Takeover: A variation, in that it's not really a "takeover", it's more of a "defaulting". After Pinkie's heart was kinda-sorta broken by Dusk not asking her to the Grand Galloping Gala, she becomes deeply depressed. So depressed, that her "other" personality, the psychotic Pinkamena, is surprised to find that she's in control of the body for the first time in several years. What does she do? Why, get revenge on Dusk Shine, of course!
- Spoiled Sweet: Pipsqueak and Vinyl Scratch, who are the children of Fancypants and Fleur de Lis.
- A Stallion Is Not A Virgin: In Wild Mass Guessing Pt. 2, Dusk Shine has lost his virginity (specifically, to Rainbow Dash), though this may be hallucinating on Dashie's part, due to all of the ponies in their ensemble suffering the side-effects of prolonged exposure to Poison Joke while awake.
- Super Soldier: King Sombra's attempts to create an army of Alicorn supersoldiers was only partially successful. He only managed to make one, and that one was a baby Cadence.
- Take a Third Option: Fluttershy suggests this to end the gala ticket feud, basically suggesting they ask Celestia for five more tickets.
- Tempting Fate: When Applejack expresses much doubt regarding Rainbow's catapult stunt plan, Rainbow utters the unspeakable, damning words.
- Third Pony Pony: Trixie always refers to herself as such instead of just using "I".
- Troll: Having a colt for a student hasn't made Celestia let up her trolling one bit.
- Troll Fic: Has been accused of this, due to the author's fast-paced writing style and the extreme amounts of Meta in the first chapter. The Author claims that this is simply his writing style.
- After Dusk's date with Fluttershy, a commenter asked if the author was sure he wasn't trolling, He more or less said that he didn't know anymore.
- Trolling Creator: A month after one of the latest chapters was released, an interlude was added to the story. 90% is merely ellipses. But it doesn't end there. The author's notes hint at a hidden four-period ellipsis thrown into the mix. There's not.
- Troperiffic: Due to the very meta tone of the story and having awareness of this page, the author seems to be shooting for this.
- The narration goes as far as calling this a lie.
- Applejack is a Type B, being as friendly and generous as canon in her default state, but anything that triggers romantic feelings in her tends to make her get violently defensive, even when ''she'' initiates it.
- Wham Line: Oh, and Word of God confirms this is canon and it's sticking.
Luna: Dear Dusk, We're pregnant. (a letter later) It's yours. The foal is yours. We forgot to include that. Sorry. In case thou is wondering, it was during the dream-sex. Left that part out too.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The ending with Fluttershy and the hydra, which was a nice Call Back to the fact that she’s the Dragonborn.
- Yandere: Evidently the Pinkamena Personality.
- As well as Rarity, although she sticks to just making dire threats with the occasional catfight.