It's time for the Second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest! Details here
Fanfic: The Tabula Avatar Universe
The Tabula Avatar Universe
is a Mega Crossover
fanfiction series written by Speaker-to-Customers
. When the Trio get their hands on the unbroken
memory crystal from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer
episode 'Tabula Rasa' they download the stored memories into the PC game Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
In a strange and lethal new world Buffy and the Scoobies find friends, romance, and deadly peril and a magic that changes the entire galaxy in ways that no-one could have predicted. Back in Sunnydale, Randy and Joan, Rupert and Anya, Willow and Tara, Alex, and Umad make unexpected new friends and face astonishing dangers. Watching both worlds, the Trio make strides to that strange and awesome goal of Character Development
And then the SGC
gets involved... Which spins out into a case marked for the NCIS
The series as a whole provides examples of:
- Alien Arts Are Appreciated: The richness of Earth music wins many fans and even seems to be preferred by magic itself over the native generic bardic songs. This trope also applies to many Earth imports such as watches, bras and sunglasses.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Turns out that many of the Dark deities of Faerun, if given the opportunity to grow beyond their status of two-dimensional game characters, will network and make better choices.
- For Want of a Nail: The memory crystal that is accidentally crushed as the Reset Button in Tabula Rasa, isn't.
- For a closer look at the immediate aftermath of the Scoobies not regaining their memory, see one of the inspirations for this story: Kallysten's and Kantayra's Tabula Rasa Ad Aeternum.
- Genre Savvy: The Scoobies have picked up on a lot of tropes from their life in Sunnydale. As the realism spreads, both heroes and villains start making their plans a lot smarter.
- Light Is Not Good: Sune, goddess of beauty, will drop anyone who loses physical attractiveness, even for scars acquired in saving people. Especially horrible considering that those who are rejected that die before finding a new patron god will be made into bricks for the Wall of the Faithless...
- Our Vampires Are Different: Due to the game not having a check for adjusted PCs, vampires are only burnt by their native sun.
- The Power of Rock: Given access to this new music, bards are redefined as extremely effective magic users with unpredictable results.
- RPG Mechanics Verse: Xander's aware of how Dungeons & Dragons' magical weapons scale with pluses and minuses. When he proves it as a working model, it's named after him.
- That certain enchantments work differently between the first story and Neverwinter Nights due to the edition change is Lampshaded by the characters.
- Running Gag: Expect every raised eyebrow to be compared to some other ascent, possibly involving Sherpas.
- Sliding Scale of Vampire Friendliness: Buffyverse vampires count as positive energy creatures, so they lack a level drain ability. As they are able to feed safely from willing victims and survivors of their attacks heal at a normal rate they rank as being friendlier than D&D vamps.
The core story, Tabula Avatar, provides examples of:
- The Igor: Kelemvor's scribe Jergal, who always speaks in capital letters.
- Light Is Not Good: Selūne's kneejerk reaction to Shar's kind approach is to lock her in a prison of moonbeams and throw a party.
Debt of Blood and its sequel provide examples of:
- MacGyvering: Few obstacles can stand up to the team given enough time and the minimum of resources. That said, this trope is Discussed and Averted several times.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: The Illefarn song portals are sophisticated enough that they can tap into the Stargate network and probably work on the same principles.
A Plague of Serpents, a story that joins most of the series' threads, provides examples of:
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: One of the first signs of things going wrong is one of the Tears of Selūne, a set of very prominent orbiting asteroids, exploding...
- Mission from God: Chantry joins up with Kelleth's party because her patron Talona, goddess of disease and poison, believes that important things will happen along the journey.