A Road to Somewhere
is a fanfic sequel to Spirited Away
by Lady Librarian
, Book 1 of the Kamikakushi Saga.
What began as a child's story has now become an international bestseller. After 10 years of defeinding what really happened, Chihiro stops believing. Until she takes a road to somewhere and learns some things can't be forgotten.
Book 2, In the Dreamer's Wake
, has been completed. Book 3, The Wheel of Yamanote
is in progress.
A Road to Somewhere contains examples of:
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Hidé's fate.
- Beta Couple: Kiri and Amano, Lin and Suzume
- Bittersweet Ending: Hidé is gone and Chihiro has no memory of the last three weeks or the onsen. However, the Onsen is safe, the Beta Couples are happy for now, and Suzume and Haku have some hope that Sen will wake up given time.
- Brought Down to Normal/Mortality Ensues: Haku chooses this to remove all barriers to a relationship with Chihiro. The other gods and some of the kami do not take it well.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Haku's inability to find Chihiro was because she stopped believing in him until after she came to Hakuryo.
- Demonic Possession: The Forgotten possesses Kiri and then Chihiro, feeding on their insecurities to stop them Fighting from the Inside.
- Domestic Abuser: Karou, though emotionally rather than physical.
- Forceful Kiss: Karou to Chihiro in chapter 10.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Haku ages up his humanoid form about ten years to match Chihiro.
- Genius Loci: The onsen is a benevolent example.
- Genki Girl: Michio
- Half-Human Hybrid: Hidé, a god on his mother's side.
- Hypocritical Humour: Michio chides Chihiro for yelling over the phone.
- I Know You Are In There Somewhere Fight: Done to Kiri in the climax. It ultimately works.
- I Know Your True Name: Suzume is able to see Lin's name, Hayashimi despite it being taken by Yubaba because he loves her, and uses it to free her.
- Incoming Ham: The phone call at the end of Chapter 5, which turns out to be from Chihiro's best friend Michio.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Sengen's curse blocks off Chihiro's memory of everything that happened to her since she came to the onsen. It's explained that "Sen" has been put to sleep, and that Chihiro will not remember until Sen wakes up.
- Like Brother and Sister: Hidé and Kiri.
- Love Triangle: Type 7. Chihiro claims that Sen loves Haku while Chihiro loves Hidé.
- The Mentor: Reika Nikkou, who teaches Chihiro to access her spiritual powers.
- Nice Guy: Hidé
- No Indoor Voice: Michio, especially when she's talking on the phone.
- No Ontological Inertia: Averted with the kami, who remain bound to their contracts with Yubaba despite her death in the spirit world. Working at Chihiro's onsen allows them to fulfill the terms of said contracts.
- Perky Goth: Michio, in spite of her green hair and Girlish Pigtails.
- Reality Warper: With instruction from Mrs. Nikkou, Chihiro uses her powers to add another wing to the Onsen, to house the kami.
- Rescue Romance: Haku is reunited with Chihiro when he intervenes in an implied Attempted Rape by by the Dasai brothers.
- Second Love: Chihiro with Hide (subverted when First Guy Wins), Suzume with Lin.
- Sequel Hook: Chihiro and Michio leave Izu together, and Haku and Cinna follow at a distance, in hopes of waking her.
- Shown Their Work: Either in footnotes, or on a separate website.
- Spoiled Sweet: Chihiro is rich as a result of her book, but she's typically friendly and generous with her money, albeit sometimes making others uncomfortable in the process.
- Team Mom: Chihiro, after she takes in the refugee Kami.
- A True Story In My Universe: In this universe, the Hayao Miyazaki movie is an adaptation of Chihiro's book.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Lin's first reaction to seeing Haku again is to call him out for abandoning the bathhouse.
- Year Outside, Hour Inside: What was six months for Haku in the Spirit World was ten years for Chihiro.
- Your Cheating Heart: Karou has been caught cheating on Chihiro numerous times, the last straw being when she finds another woman's underwear while doing his laundry for him and his response is, “That's what you get for going through my laundry.”