The Hallowed Halls of Fielding
is an Alternate Universe Daria
fanfic by Roentgen.
When the Morgendorffers move to Lawndale, Daria and Quinn start at a new school. Thanks to the influence (and bank account) of Helen's mother, the girls are enrolled in Fielding Prep instead of Lawndale High. Thrown into a world of privilege and, frequently, snobbery, Quinn is immediately inducted into Topisiennes
. Meanwhile, Daria finds herself in an academically challenging environment for the first time.
At the entrance ceremony, back and forth snarking introduce Daria and Elsie to each other, and the two quickly become thick as thieves. Although most of the students are boarders, the Sloanes, like the Morgendorffers, are day students. Daria soon meets Elsie's twin brother, Tom, and develops a crush on him.
Quinn finds herself at home in the social world of Tops, but adrift in the academics. Daria finds herself forced into the swim team as the lone high-diver.
Best summarized as Daria goes to Dallas
The first few chapters are available on Fanfiction.net
, but the vast bulk of the 140+ chapter story is only available on The Paperpusher's Message Board
The Hallowed Halls of Fielding provides examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council - Subverted. The student council has little power over anything except club budgets.
- Alternate History - Daria and Quinn going to Fielding instead of Lawndale High.
- Big Fancy House - The Sloane residence.
- Boarding School - Even though the main characters don't board, Fielding is one.
- Coming-of-Age Story - Hard to do a high school story without this one.
- Cool Uncle - Elsie's uncle Tyler.
- Crowd Chant - Fielding, Fielding, rah rah ree.
- Down to the Last Play - Happens sometimes with the swim team, but most notably with a football game hardly anyone was actually watching.
- Dysfunctional Family - Just about all of them.
- Elaborate University High - Indeed.
- Gym Class Hell - General Fitness has this reputation.
- High School - The part of the school we're most concerned with, anyway.
- In-Series Nickname - A number of students pick them up.
- Meaningful Funeral - Jake's
- Melodrama - This is about teenagers, after all.
- Nostalgia Filter - Far too many alumni view even the worst of Fielding's traditions this way.
- One Gender School - Fielding used to be an all boys school. The anniversary of the day this ended is still known as Bitchmas.
- Our Founder - Questions about Habbakuk Fielding are part of The Knowledge.
- Penny Among Diamonds - Most of the students attending Fielding range from rich to really rich. The Morgendorffers are not.
- Real Song Theme Tune: Somebody suggested in a forum thread Ali Project's Girls' Aristocracy would make a good theme song for it and Roentgen approved.
- School Play - Given the status of those at the school, this one attracts an usual amount of attention.
- School Uniforms are the New Black - Fielding requires their students to wear uniforms, although Tops still manage to stand out.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money! - Pat Six gets Pat Seven out of a lawsuit by funding a movie.
- Socialite - A number of the parents.
- Spoiled Brat - Numerous, but Sue Bentley and Yong Ae stand out.