The Game of the Gods
, by Limyaael
, is a Parody Sue
story about The Lord of the Rings
, but also using elements of The Hobbit
and The Silmarillion
The two gods, Morgoth and Varda, play a game. Morgoth creates Mary Sues
and inserts them into Middle-earth. Varda imposes reality, logic, canon
. Varda wins if the Sue dies. Yes, she dies, trapped by her own stupidity or impossible existence. Sometimes, other gods and great heroes from The Silmarillion
take Varda's place as Morgoth's opponent. There is eventually a silly plot where Silmarillion
characters scheme against Morgoth, and someone steals two Sues from Morgoth.The Game of the Gods
features thirty-three Sues, and hits many of the Common Mary Sue Traits
in this fandom. It will amuse fans of Middle-earth who hate bad fan fiction. Part of the fun is understanding how Varda uses details of Middle-earth canon to take down Sues. Readers who don't know Middle-earth may find less amusement.
For tropes about individual Sues, see our spoiler-heavy character sheet
The Game of the Gods provides examples of:
- Alliterative Title: The chapter titles use alliteration: "Anjara's Agony", "Mirrililli's Misery" and so on.
- Butt Monkey: In The Silmarillion, Morgoth was too dangerous to approach. In The Game of the Gods, Morgoth is helpless, and several of his past opponents use this opportunity to annoy or attack Morgoth. Some of them steal his diary and do dramatic readings.
- Call Back: One can slay a Sue by referencing canon from The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, or The Lord of the Rings.
- Canon Defilement: Morgoth tries to defile canon in universe, but his Sues often meet characters who remember canon details about themselves, and use canon against the Sues.
- Cosmic Chess Game: Morgoth versus Varda. The board is Middle-earth. Morgoth's game pieces are Mary Sues.
- Crossover: Morgoth does crossovers with Left Behind, Harry Potter, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance. In each case, Morgoth brings a Sue from the other fandom into The Lord of the Rings. In most cases, the Sue loses her powers or traps herself because Middle-earth does not follow the same rules as her home canon.
- The Devil Is a Loser: Morgoth repeatedly loses the game by getting his Mary Sues killed through a loose grasp of the lore, the cleverness of his opponents, and sheer lack of common sense.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Morgoth is horrified and outraged that FŽanor would actually use the ridiculously overpowered Vala Sue Morgoth cooked up when he was feeling particularly vengeful, confessing that even he never seriously intended to use it.
- God-Karting with Beelzebub: Varda playing a game with Morgoth, the God of Evil.
- Half-Human Hybrid or Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Most of the Mary Sues are elves: if not all elf, then half elf and half something else. The part-Elvish Sue can enjoy her elven advantages (beauty, strength, and so on) and still count humans, hobbits or dragons among her relatives.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Morgoth becomes this by the end of the story, after losing so many games.
- Mary Sue Hunter: Varda and the other opponents of Morgoth.
- Parody Sue: Morgoth creates Mary Sues, but they don't succeed in Middle-earth.
- Rapunzel Hair: At least three of the Sues have hair down to their ankles.
- Reality Ensues: In this story, Reality Ends Sues.
- Rightful King Returns: Morgoth invents backstories to establish that some Sues are the legitimate rulers of various realms in Middle-earth. These Sues end up too stupid or too ignorant to take their crowns.
- Show Within a Show: Each game is a story. Morgoth is always losing, so we go through 30 stories, each centered on some Mary Sue.
- Skunk Stripe: At least four of the Sues have colored streaks in their hair. These are usually lighter streaks on darker colors, but one character has black streaks on blonde hair.
- Thirty Sue Pileup: Invoked by Morgoth, who has boxes of Sue pieces for the game, but downplayed because Morgoth never activates more than one or two Sues at the same time.
- Too Dumb to Live: Many of Morgoth's Sues only die because they act so stupid.