"I'm going to kill every stallion that threatens my Rarity."The Dragon's Notebook
(alternate link here
) is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
written by ArbyWorks. It's an unofficial Fusion Fic
with Death Note
Spike was tired of hearing the tales of Rarity's coltfriends, and how they amaze her. Going home sad and broken, he found a black notebook that granted him the power to kill anypony as long as he had their name and face. He made a steely resolve to protect Rarity... at any cost.The Dragon's Notebook
is a dark tale exploring how murder can twist an innocent mind into a barely-sane relic of what it once was and how love can make one do anything
for the one they love.
Compare with Death Note Equestria
, the other Death Note
Tropes present in this work:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Spike goes through a lot of psychological abuse in his efforts to "protect Rarity".
- Alternate Ending: The series, so far, has three endings total, one of which (the canon one) leads into the sequel.
- Always Save the Girl: Spike's excuse for why he kills stallions.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: Spike in the show is a child-like baby dragon that enjoys goofing off and messing around. Spike in The Dragon's Notebook is a desperate, paranoid wreck who gets more insane with each murder.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Spike believes the best punishment for making Rarity sad for a day or two is death.
- Deadpan Snarker: Spike begins to show signs of this after the fourth chapter.
- Freudian Excuse: Spike kills others to stop Rarity from coming home from a date in tears.
- A God Am I: Subverted; Spike doesn't believe himself a God as Light Yagami does.
- Hostagefor Mac Guffin: The "plan" in chapter 9; it was put together in-haste which caused the actor's death.
- Idiot Ball: Spike for the entire story. Not once does he try to explain how Blueblood died or what the Death Note was and in one alternate ending, it gets him killed.
- I've Come Too Far: The reason Spike doesn't reveal that he accidentally killed Prince Blueblood in the first chapter is that he believes that he's already done too much.
- Manipulative Bastard: Subverted — Spike is nothing like Light Yagami and is constantly fearing his friends finding out.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Spike kills Golden Shutter, he suffers a breakdown after realizing that Golden Shutter has zero interest in Rarity.
- Powers in the First Episode: Spike picks up the Death Note in the first chapter.
- The Pen Is Mightier: Spike uses a pen, a quill, and his own blood to write names.
- Unreliable Narrator: Possibly; in the end, it's revealed the whole story is Spike recounting everything that happened to him... but he was also insane most of the story, so much of it could be hallucinated or incorrect.
- You Are What You Hate: Spike becomes the "scum" that he spends the story killing.