Fanfic / The Capitol Series
The Capitol Series
is a series of fanfictions based on The Hunger Games
, published on Fanfiction Dot Net
by author Claratrix Le Chatham
. The series currently consists of three works: A Capitol Experience
, Capitol Punishment
, and With A Capitol G
Provides examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Soren snapping Lecia's neck.
- Action Girl:
- Several, mostly Careers, but Demetra is probably in the running for most triumphant example.
- Kali would like to contest that assertion, though she is more of a Dark Action Girl herself.
- Action Survivor:
- Lectic, definitely. He is alive thanks to a generous amount of intervention on Demetra's part, and a good amount of luck and intelligence on his own.
- See also Carden, Hypatia, Holland, Actassi... most of the non-Careers who actually... y'know, survived. The bloodbath, anyway.
- Action Duo: Lectic and Demetra do pretty well for themselves, though Demetra would sooner cut her tongue out than admit it.
- Aerith and Bob: Rachel/Asha/Tanner/Diane: all relatively typical names. Auroch/Hetcher/Rippel/Pasque: not so much.
- Alpha Bitch: Lycra.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Each and every one of them.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Enforced. Fanfiction.net doesn't allow list-format stories, so the first page of With A Capitol G (a character list) has been replaced with a place-holding Crack Fic while the story is on hold.
- Anti-Hero: Soren, Lucian, Demetra... a good portion of the Careers.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: He is prepared to...shoot? Explode? Blast fire? Serve pancakes?
- Axe Crazy:
- Demetra is flamethrower crazy.
- Chalice starts going this way, too, until Diele kills her.
- The Berserker: Diele puts an end to it pretty quickly, but Chalice seemed to be turning into one.
- Blood Sport: The Hunger Games.
- Brainless Beauty: Twyla. Though she's prefectly aware of her effect on Sherman, and is smart enough to use it to her advantage.
- Brains and Brawn: In Capitol Punishment, Lectic is brains and Demetra is brawns.
- The Brute:
- Bond from A Capitol Experience, and, debatably, Royce.
- Cat Scare: Lucian hears a noise in the bushes and pulls his gun on it. A squirrel runs out. A subversion, as we know it's actually Lissom hiding there, with the squirrel just being pretty convenient for her.
- Children Forced to Kill: And not-so-forced, in some cases.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Soren and Demetra know how it's done.
- Comically Missing the Point: Demetra's friends spend most of her interview time gushing over how lucky she is to be in the Hunger Games with a cute guy and a flamethrower.
- Crack Fic: The chapter that replaced the character list in With A Capitol G.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Subverted. Strong, smart Auroch is beaten by not one, but two of his Games' youngest contestants. You gotta feel sorry for the poor guy.
- Cute Kitten: Lectic has a pet kitten. Named Sparky. Can I get an "aww", please?
- Dark Humor
- Deadly Game: The Hunger Games.
- Deadpan Snarker:
- Demetra informs the readers that snarking is one of her very favorite things to do.
- Soren, her uncle, shares the trait as well as the trope.
- Maren too.
- And they all qualify as First Person Smartasses, too.
- Death from Above: The mutt that looks like Actassi's mother in A Capitol Experience, and then the Giant Flyer in Capitol Punishment.
- Doomed by Canon: The District 12 tributes in A Capitol Experience.
- Dual Wielding: Kali is described as wielding a knife in her left hand a staff in her right.
- Driven to Suicide: Diane, after her victory.
- Eye Scream:
- Actassi kills Kali by stabbing a spear through her eye and into her brain.
- Skiff gets a quarter launched into his eye.
- Famous Last Words: In handy...well, okay, spoilered out alphabetical order.
"Fuck death. Also, fuck life. Fuck everything. I'm through with this shit." -Demetra Boise
"No 'fense, Tassi, but I always thought you'd be first." -Maren Ericsson
"You saw. You saw me. I did...I did something good." -Lissom Henley
"So I suppose you got rid of your silly phobia of me? Good. I hate a coward." - Kalika Hope
"I love you, Rhea -Esther Jaffe
"It's worth it. Living is worth dying." -Lectic Riggs
"You really do?" - Hypatia Leonodas
"I think...he wants to give me a ride." -Lecia Smithfield
- Final Speech: Hypatia delivers a rather haunting one about why people die.
- Lectic and Demetra get some final banter.
- Fingore: Kali loses part of her thumb, not that she notices.
- Five-Bad Band: The Careers in aCE.
- Gallows Humor: Demetra comments on the morbid jokes she and Lectic make. This continues all the way up through their final dialogue as they lay shot and dying.
- Genius Bruiser: Auroch is something of one.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: A few examples.
- Go Out with a Smile: Sherman, because he believes he'll be Together in Death with Twyla.
- Gratuitous Spanish: A cryptic author's note in Capitol Punishment.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Diane plans to die so Carden can leave the arena. It doesn't work.
- Lissom suicidally attacks Lucian so he won't be able to finish off Lectic and Demetra.
- Holding Hands: Demetra takes Lectic's hand as they lay dying from bullet wounds.
- Home Base:
- Lectic and Demetra's car.
- The cave on the island with the freshwater spring that Hetcher, Diane, and Carden always seem to find their way back to.
- Incredibly Lame Pun:
- The author has a sort of love affair with these. A Capitol Experience? A 'capital' experience! Capitol Punishment? 'Capital' punishment. With a Capitol G? With a 'capital' G.
- In-universe, Demetra makes a comment to herself about "pushing [the] buttons" of a girl wearing a calculator costume.
- It's Quiet... Too Quiet: Soren drops one.
- It Has Been an Honor: Lectic to Demetra, as they part ways.
- I Was Beaten by a Girl: Soren and Kali had an similar dynamic until she killed him and cut off his jaw.
- Just Friends: Lectic and Demetra. Hetcher and Diane. Diele and Dylan. Maren and Actassi. The Capitol Series is rife with this trope.
- Kill It with Fire: Demetra's general attitude towards anything that bugs her. The flamethrower helps.
- Lack of Empathy:
- Lucian. Word of God states that he was borderline autistic before suffering a skull fracture, and picked up a few worse traits accompanying his not-quite-recovery and the encouragement of District Two's warped values.
- Kali from aCE was a perfect example of The Sociopath, no genetic disorders involved aside from whatever is going through most District Two DNA.
- Love Confession: Aww, Carden and Hypatia. Oops, now she's dead.
- Meaningful Name: The author has a fondness for these, and, luckily, such names or within the relms of canon.
- Lissom, lithe and flexible. Auroch (Aurochs), an enormous, extinct breed of cattle comparable to a buffalo. Forester... forester.
- Mercy Kill: Lissom to Skiff.
- Mr. Fanservice: Lectic, both in and out-of-universe.
- Moment of Silence: As an out-of-universe example, Claratrix Le Chatham calls for one in an author's note after Diele's death.
- Morality Pet: Lecia to Soren, Carden to Franz/Esther/Diane, and, in measure, Lectic to Demetra.
- More Dakka: Demetra knows how to fight perfectly well, but prefers the raw power of her flamethower.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Diane after killing Actassi.
- No Fourth Wall: The...very interesting chapter used as With A Capitol G's first chapter to hold its place while Capitol Punishment is still underway.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Chalice snaps. And Auroch is on the receiving end.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Soren knows exactly what's going to happen, exactly who's going to do it, and exactly one syllable to summarize his thought process.
- "Oh crap," is also the first thing Esther says in response to her reaping. Esther, too.
- Older Than They Look: Head Gamemaker Xenia is quite a bit older than she looks, thanks to the wonders of Capitol beauty treatments.
- Original Character: At least twenty-two of 'em per story.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: All resemblances to any authors, real or imaginary, is entirely coincidental.
- Out, Damned Spot!: After Sherman's fever-induced hallucination leads him to believe he murdered Twyla, he tries to wash the black blood off his hands, to no avail.
- Overly Long Name: Forester Montgomery-Cunningham.
- Playful Hacker: Lectic is somewhere between this and The Cracker. He has no real malicious intent, but he does use his hacking skills for material and monetary gain.
- Plot Tumor: Lectic and Demetra's subplot in Capitol Punichment. Most definitely ''not'' a Romantic Plot Tumor, though.
- Quit Your Whining: Demetra really, really doesn't care about other peoples' problems. Especially when they're getting between her and a giant vulture. Even if it's Lectic.
"LECTIC FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LISTEN TO ME!"
- Raised by Grandparents: Asha chose to move in with her grandmother.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Dylan embarks on one after Lucian kills Diele.
- Sacrificial Lion: Quite a few of them. A Career or two tends to kick it in the bloodbath, too, adding the less-sympathetic variety.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The lovely duo that is Lectic and Demetra. Poor, poor Lectic. So, so, not what he signed up for.
- Self-Insert Fic: An odd variation in the placeholder chapter of With A Capitol G, in which a not-the-author-at-all is certainly not the author at all, if you catch the drift.
- Ship Tease: With twenty-some-odd teenagers crammed into an emotionally intense setting, you're gonna get some romance. When the author can't get enough of Just Friends, you'll end up with a delight amount of teasing.
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?: All of the characters are technically young enough to be in school.
- Subverted in that a good chunk of the older ones have dropped out, and the games take precedence over learning...
- Played straight in that Diane, the 17 year old victor, is definitely not in school. She has better things to do. Suicidal things.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The author in With A Capitol G is not Claratrix Le Chatham herself. Of course not.
- Shout-Out: The filler chapter in With A Capitol G feautures the line "Wow, you don't look quite like what I- I mean Clara pictured you, Pen.", with 'Pen' being short for Penelope, one of the author's friends through the website.
- Slasher Smile: Kali. She dies smiling over the fact that Actassi got over his fear of her. Not your typical Go Out with a Smile.
- Sleep Cute: Diane describes herself as sleeping with her head on Hetcher's shoulder.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: There couldn't possibly be anyone like this in the Capitol Series. Don't be ridiculous.
- Stay with Me Until I Die: Esther to Franz.
- Survival Mantra:
- Throw It In: Lectic and Demetra's Just Friends dynamic. The author has said that she "didn't intend for them to have such good chemistry".
- Tears of Remorse: Actassi, after the bloodbath, and killing Sherman.]
- Tempting Fate:
- Subverted. As Hetcher bemoans the failure of his attempt to steal the Careers' fever medicine, he says, "But it could be raining, right?" Unlike most times a character says something along these lines, it doesn't start raining.
- Played straight with Dylan and Diele. See Why Did It Have To Be Birds? below.
- Theme Naming:
- All of the titles include the word "Capitol", usually as a pun where one would expect "capital" to be used instead.
- Lectic's prep team members are named Veni, Vidi, and Vici.
- There Can Only Be One: Only one tribute gets to leave the arena alive.
- Thoroughly Mistaken Identity: Very much not Played for Laughs. Diane, convinced that not only is Actassi Kali who is already dead, but that he somehow killed Hetcher. He's got no clue what's going on, and she is unaware of the mistake until shortly after she's killed him.
- On the same vein, Franz kills Esther believing that she is the Career girl who murdered his sister.
- Together in Death: Demetra, as she lies dying from bullet wounds, takes comfort in the fact she won't die alone and takes Lectic's hand. The only kink being that she lives. So, Subverted Trope.
- Too Dumb to Live: If you know your teammate is a sociopath with a gun, what do you do? Hopefully not confront him about it on your own, as several of Lucian's allies did.
- Too Happy to Live: Carden was taking everything incredibly well, until he was crushed by a giant rock. Whoops. If he had any foreknowledge, he would have tried to fit in one last smile...
- Two out of Three Ain't Bad: Demetra to Lectic.
"I'm looking for someone smart, strong, and not allied with my dear comrades from before. You know what, Lectic? Two out of three isn't half bad."
"Umm… You're right. It's only a third bad."
- The Unfettered: Lucian doesn't care who he has to kill, what he has to do. But he doesn't exactly have a goal, just doesn't want to die.
- Violence Is the Only Option: Good luck getting out of the games without breaking a few necks... or skulls, or just plain indirectly killing other kids. Foxface couldn't do it, and neither can you.
- Why Did It Have To Be Birds?: Dylan and Diele share a moment of distaste for avians in general shortly before they are set upon by a flock of terror birds. Diele thinks they are beautiful. Dylan disagrees.
- Write Who You Know: Soren and Maren are based off of real-life friends of the author.
- World of No Grandparents: Subverted. Asha's grandmother not only appears, but is her Parental Substitute.