Fanfic / The Black Sheep
fanfic which can be found at Fan Fiction Net
A comedy thriller in which a confidence trickster is hunted, brought to book, and made to repay money he has blagged.
This fan work contains examples of:
- Adventurer Outfit: Balthazar. It's part of the image presented by the legendary Balgrog Hunter.
- The Apartheid Era; Rimwards Howondaland and its people, both black and white.
- Ascended Extra: Howondaland Smith is referenced in passing in the canon. He gets a story to himself here.
- Bilingual Bonus: There is a little Dutch/Afrikaans spoken. French is used in the casino scenes.
- Chatty Hairdresser: Conina Cohensdaughter-Harebut, who having retired from being an active Barbarian/Thief to run a hairdressing salon, keeps her ear to the ground and provides information to a clientele of professional ladies, whose hair can get a bit mussed up in the course of normal work as a thief, Assassin, Barbarian Heroine or Teacher. She trades information with Emmanuelle over a styling session.
- The Chief's Daughter: Sissie - but this is her form of grifting. She is a Genuan who has never been near Howondaland in her life.
- Ruth N'Kweze, who is genuinely a Zulu Paramount Princess. Do not call her a kaffir. She's a proud trained Assassin...
- Cool Big Sis: Johanna. Her younger sister is introduced, who wants to grow up to be just like her. As she has been selected to go to the Assassins' Guild School in faraway Ankh-Morpork, her wish may be granted.
- The Dutiful Niece: Johanna Smith-Rhodes, even knowing her uncle is a disreputable cheating rogue and con-man, still feels a family duty and is compelled to do right by him, even though she knows he won't give up grifting and she'll never see her money again. This is family.....
- The Exile: Balthazar, through past crime. Also a subtext of Johanna becoming a self-imposed exile as her politics diverge from those of her homeland.
- Freestate Amsterdam: The laid back and libertine culture to be found in the city of DamHamster.
- Gambler's Fallacy: Subverted and exploited by Emmanuelle.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: the flipside of the Bilingual Bonus coin.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Balthazar Smith-Rhodes was exiled from Rimwards Howondaland not for being a rogue and a confidence trickster, but for repeatedly offending against the Racial Separation Acts. He has left one officially unacknowledged mixed-race member of the Smith-Rhodes family behind him, to further embarrass the whole family. Based in Sto Kerrig, he further appalls his countrymen by setting up home with Sissie, who claims to be a Zulu Princess. Neither they nor their more liberally minded Sto Kerrigian hosts give a damn about this, but expat White Howondalandians have their eyebrows more than raised.
- National Stereotypes: "Sto Kerrig" especially. Holland, with all the knobs turned up well past eleven.
- Race Fetish: Balthazar has one. A drawback in Rimwards Howondaland.
- Sassy Blackwoman: Sissie.
- Snipe Hunt: The search for the Balgrog. The people financing Howondaland Smith's expeditions don't need to know it's completely fictitious.
- Up to Eleven: Sto Kerrig and Rimwards Howondaland.
- Quirm The major protaganist of this story is Quirmian Assassin Emmanuelle-Marie Lapoignard les Deux-Epées, a woman who embodies the Discworld France with tous les controles emphasées a l'onze.note
- The Netherlands: Sto Kerrig, the Motherland of the Boor people who emigrated to the colonies in Howondaland.