Fanfic / Stop Singing
Stop Singing is a Steven Universe
AU fanfiction written by Art Director 123
in which Jasper was abandoned on Earth after the Gem War. As such, Jasper has to live with humanity while trying to avoid the wrath of the Crystal Gems. It can be found on Archive of Our Own here
.Needs Wiki Magic Love
Stop Singing provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: The story's chapters jump all over the place, describing multiple time periods as well as the present day.
- Alternate History: Jasper's been to a lot of places through a lot of time periods, so this is a given.
- Been There, Shaped History: Jasper's presence in history has caused a lot of stuff to happen. She shows up in a lot of historical art and poetry and she also claims to have invented the Olympics.
- Blood Knight: Jasper's still this, showing up in multiple wars and moving from place to place for new challenges. She mellows out a little bit.
- Character Development: Jasper's opinions on humans go from "stupid primitive apes" to "actually caring about them" over time. This is most notable with her travelling companion Thadius, as he starts off as annoying but slowly becomes more important to her as time goes on. She also doesn't immediately attempt to kill Rose Quartz when they meet one-on one, instead coming to an agreement about the humans: if they don't bother Jasper, she won't go after them.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Goes along with Jasper's Character Development. She slowly becomes good friends with Thadius.
- Thadius goes from afraid of Jasper's antics to unamused and finally acts as something of a Straight Man near the end.
- Face Palm: Happens a lot in this fic, mostly from Jasper.
- Faking the Dead: At one point Jasper obtains a regular jasper gemstone and does this on the Crystal Gems. Rose doesn't take the bait.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Jasper gets poofed in 1805 and put in a box. She only gets released due to Steven falling into the area she's in.
- I Know You're Watching Me: Rose appears to spot Jasper hiding during her Faking the Dead plot but makes no mention of it. Then she sends the other Gems back and calls Jasper out of hiding.
- Never Gets Drunk: Jasper has a fondness for all kinds of alcoholic beverages (except champagne) and at one point drinks in a Russian bar for an hour without any adverse effects. Justified since she's a Gem.
- Morality Pet: Thadius to Jasper. He successfully talks her down from killing a Jade in a Kindergarten because the Jade hadn't done anything to deserve it and wasn't a raging monster like the corrupted Gems she had been fighting on-and-off.
- No Name Given: The Jasper/Thadius fusion that lasts for one chapter.
- Oh, Crap!: Jasper's reaction when she realizes at the last possible moment that she's about to fuse with Thadius.
- One-Shot Character: Most of the people Jasper and Thadius encounter due to their habit of Walking the Earth. Peridot also shows up in one chapter and is promptly forgotten about.
- Omniglot: Since Jasper tends to jump from country to country at the drop of a hat, she's picked up a lot of languages. Steven is surprised that she knows English when she rescues him in the Swiss Alps, since she was speaking in German up to that point.
- Our Spirits Are Different: The Chinese man that fixes Jasper's cracked gem takes the Gem to be a spirit.
- The Black Death: Thadius winds up catching it, driving Jasper to seek out Rose Quartz to get him healed. It forces Jasper to abandon him to be healed by the Gems.
- Violence Is the Only Option: Given the main character, this is pretty much a given. At one point the duo is forced to leave the area when the sultan....proposed to Jasper. He wouldn't take no for an answer and so she broke his face.
- Walking the Earth: Most of the fic is comprised of short snippets of Jasper being in a different location doing things.
- Wandering Minstrel: Thadius.
- What Is This Feeling?: Jasper, while fused with Thadius, experiences the sensations of a heartbeat and cold, and feels fragile. Her panic over this breaks the fusion and she wonders if humans felt this 'fear of death' all the time.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Employed by a soldier during a Prussian-French war to get Jasper close enough so he can poof her. It works.