Fan Fic: Spiritof Redemption
Spirit Of Redemption
by Myetel is a 3 million+ word AU Fiction set after the Reaper War is over. Shepard and Garrus have hybrid kids and are now in charge of the Spectres
. The Reaper war is over but that doesn't mean the galaxy is at peace, new Spectres are needed and war is on the horizon.....
The side story Dualities and Harmonies is here.WARNING: This page assumes you have played Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. Spoilers for those two games will be UNMARKED.
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Inverted with the "NCAI's", especially EDI and Pelagia.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Batarian vibro-swords
- Action Mom: Shepard, and most of the female Spectres by the epilogue.
- Alien Pet: Shepard's pet varren Urz. Inverted with Solanna's dog and Makur's pet snow leopard.
- How Turians can raise a mastiff on Palaven is beyond this troper.
- They didn't. In Boot Camp, Dara makes it pretty clear they got it after the Velnarans moved to Mindoir, even if she doesn't come right out with it.
- All There in the Manual: Myetel has made D&D style stat sheets for the characters on the forums.
- Apocalypse How: Pre-fic Planetary/Physical Annihilation with the asari homeworld.
- Mind you, Thessia fell to the Reapers in Mass Effect 3, too, but then we can blame Cerberus for accelerating that process.
- Armor Is Useless: Zig-zagged; The armor the Young Guns start out with works as well as expected when it is 10-20 years old and comes face to face with modern high end weapons. However, when you take a vibro-sword to a rachni's natural armor, it will scratch it at best, and piss off the rachni at worst.
- Arranged Marriage
- Ascended Fan Boy: Some of the Forum Role Players have become canon characters.
- Ascended Meme: Blasto the hanar Spectre. Started as a joke in Mass Effect 2, in the fic-verse he is an actual spectre and a pretty badass one at that.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Taken to the extreme. By the epilogue you can count the number of characters without kids of some form on one hand.
- Badass Boast:
Shepard: You are on a Spectre base. Spectres are outside the law. This base is outside the law. You have inflicted atrocities, by any standard, against Spectres and those affiliated with them, and have attempted similar acts against the families and loved ones of other Spectres...There is nothing that legally prevents me from having you shot and fed to the damn varren for dinner....Council put me outside the law, so if I remand you to their custody in the form of varren shit in a waste receptacle this big," Shepard held up her hands a couple of feet apart, "they really can't complain, can they?"
Siege "It is our affair because it is our battle brother's affair. Not that we expect you to understand the nuances of this fact. We do, however, expect you to respect it." Runtimes inside the platform made the specific decision to allow its biotic transceiver to broadcast in the clear. All the biotics there would feel the real, actual rage from the machine, true protection-anger and insult-anger wrapped inside that cold metal shell. "Give us cause and we will break you, you cold-song bitch."
- Badass Grandpa: Gavius
- Badass Mustache: Sam
- Badass Normal: Sam, Kasumi
- Barehanded Blade Block: Dara
- Battle Couple: Shep/Garrus, Dara/Rel, Sam/Kasumi, Dara/Eli, Dempsey/Zasha, and a whole buttload more.
- Berserk Button: Call Shepard's kids monsters, It'll be fun. Also, DO NOT BOTHER THE AUTHOR about Dara and Rel's breakup, ever. You better not do anything that is not in Madison's best interest or else you will have Dempsey, a wolverine healing death machine with the same biotic power as a brood warrior who just happens to be immune from the law coming after you.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Kalaxia's uncle had a livestock habit
- Butt Monkey: Lin and his knee; mostly his knee.
- Canon Immigrant: some of the fan characters from the Role play forums have been added to the story
- Chekhov's Gun: Azure Dust's effect on rachni. This 'gun' collects a lot of dust, over 5 years to be exact, but when it fires it is a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Confusion Fu / Combat Pragmatist: Also known as Mindoir-Mixed Style
- Crusading Lawyer: Mr. Maxwell, his crusade? AI rights
- Cultured Badass: Shepard is fluent in Latin.
- Cute Kitten: Loki
- Curb-Stomp Battle: A few
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: The control chip for Dempsey's cybernetics is implanted in the emotion center of his brain, which prevented him from feeling anything except anger for a time.
- Cyborg: Shepard, Dempsey.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Only once.
- Door Stopper: 3,404,854 words. Impressive.
- Drugs Are Bad: A asari drug (azure dust) is turned into a gas grenade. Every species has a different reaction: It's ecstasy for humans, pot for turians, Super Crack for salarians, and increases biotics for rachni and asari. Later down the line, it's stated that azure dust instantly triggers blood-rage in krogan who are exposed.
- Evolution Marches On: The asari have been largely successful as a spacefaring race, but eventually they have to realize that parthenogenesis is an evolutionary dead-end. It's theorized that within 5,000 years - that's only five generations for the species - the asari civilization will completely collapse from cultural stagnation. Cue Lina Vasir, daughter of Tela Vasir whose genetic mutation made her the first documented asari to exhibit sexual dimorphism (read: a male asari). Too bad 'she' was also a Ardat-Yakshi.
- Fortunately, they found another male Asari later who was still in childhood and spirited him away, unofficially adopting him into the Spectre Clan after his mother died from the Batarians' Synthetic Plague. This led to a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming with Dempsey, and later confused the crap out of Madison when 'she' went to the boy's restroom.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Kirrahe Orlan's standard loadout includes a flamethrower.
- The Glomp: Joy-singer(a Rachni Queen) to Dara in Chapter 151.
- Grand Theft Me: Joker uploads himself in to a prototype of the super tough ex BigBad Race to have a Big Damn Heroes moment leading to the Curb-Stomp Battle with a surprising good guy bias.
- Gag Penis: When Rel sees a "happy" male hanar, he thinks it has an extra tentacle.
- Half-Human Hybrid: One of the few good uses of this trope in Shepard's hybrid kids.
- Heel-Face Turn: Seheve Liakos.
- Hell, the Spectres practically make it a policy to convert batarians taken captive by them.
- Heroic RROD: Siara's Empathy ability. She can take pain into herself, allowing a squad-mate to stay standing in spite of the worst wounds. A dangerous ability, because it does not actually heal the squad-mate, but prevents them from collapsing to the ground. Too much pain can damage her own nerve endings.
- Hive Queen: The rachni queens, and Dara.
- Hospital Hottie: Dara
- Hot Skittyon Wailord Action: Ylara (a 5'6" Asari) and Tulluust (an Elcor)
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: Kella gives part of her essence to Elijah, allowing him to speak asari, among other things
- Interspecies Romance
- Keystone Army: The Reapers
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Just try counting them all. We dare you.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Eli and Lin.
- Mama Bear: Shepard.
- Mighty Glacier: Dempsy, any elcor that knows how to use a weapon.
- No Biochemical Barriers: While subverted as with canon, this is played straight with royal jelly.
- No Sell: A Elcor has the muscle to move its body in 4x earth gravity so when a 800kg Yahg lands on one they probably will not notice the added weight.
- Official Couple: Shepard and Garrus.
- Parental Incest: Siara suffered this in a bad way.
- Parrot Pet Position: The rachni workers, mostly 1812 and Chopin.
- Power Armor: The quarians and the geth have made War Machine battle suits for the Quarians to wear. Instad of buying new armor after the First battle of Kar'Shan, Siara buys an Atlas mech.
- Puppy Love: Eli and Dara in the beginning of the story. Amara and Madison later on.
- Really 700 Years Old: In the epilogue; after 50,000 years of medical advancements, death is more or less optional.
- Refuge in Audacity: Maxwell wins a court case by tricking a senator to say ON RECORD the the wording of the law in question is just symbolism.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: James, who's essentially a personality upload of Dempsey.
- Sex God: Sky, weirdly. He has a 4 hour nonstop "encounter" with the rachni queen Shepard freed in Mass Effect. Everybody on the planet joins in mentally to the point that Eli is saying Sky's name. He then promptly lampshades this and asks for Sky's autograph.
- Shown Their Work: These three words alone are not enough to do this series justice.
- Hell, this could be the trope codifier for fan fiction...
- Sleep Cute: Lanar and Sam pull one off while sick these leading to Squee from Katsumi.
- Super Reflexes: Eli after his gene mods and boot camp. He once caught a falling glass almost as soon as he realized it was falling.
- Student and Master Team: Dara and Shepard, Dara and Mordin
- Sword Cane: Valak.
- Synthetic Plague: Batarians do this to the galaxy
- Tangled Family Tree: Put it this way; when Agnes and Gavius got married, it meant that a rachni was related to the leader of the turian government.
- From Chapter 146, "Inhalation":
Eli: Wait, is Shepard technically family again? Dara: Technically, since you and Lin are blood-brothers, and he's married to Serana, yes. Eli: You ever get the feeling that someone in twenty years is going to try to do our genealogy and shoot themselves? Dara:
Ciea'teilu, I don't think there's any 'in twenty years' about it. Through Lin and Serana, you're also related to Kallixta. Which means the Imperial family technically has AIs, through Rinus and Kallixta. Hybrids, through Garrus and Shepard
and through your parents. A salarian, through your dad adopting Narayana, a human, in you. . . you call Ylara your third-mother, so they can claim an asari. . . kind of. . . and when we get married, they'll have rachni as cousins, too. Kallixta told me last week that the Office of Heraldry and Imperial Genealogy is usually all of two old guys, who mostly putter around with dusty old books. There are rumors that both of them are being kept away from sharp objects and shoe laces lately.
- Take That: To the ending of Mass Effect 3; When the main characters are talking about how Shepard defeated the Reapers, they mock the idea of the Reapers possibly running on circuital logic or space magic.
- Un Coffee: Apha, essentially coffee for dextro species.
- Underwater Ruins: Technically not ruins. The submerged Prothean city is actually very well-preserved and relatively functional.
- Verbal Tic: Dara picks up a bit of Mordin's speech patterns while working under him. It re-emerges from time to time whenever she starts getting technical about medicine and science.
- Wham Episode: The epilogue chapter 'Asari Civil War, Part 2.,' where Dara makes an exposition that utterly shatters the image of the Ardat-Yakshi and sends Samara of all people into a Heroic BSOD.
- A whopping TEN PERCENT of all Asari (in-story statistics place this total at 1.2 billion) carry a recessive gene on their 44th chromosome pair that emulates the functions of the Y chromosome in humans, producing the Asari analogue of testosterone. As it turns out, this recessive gene is the same exact gene that governs biotic capabilities such as Domination and Reave, both skills characteristic of stereotypical Ardat-Yakshi, and both used by many Justicars and Matriarchs. This means a tenth of all Asari are capable of giving birth to either hermaphroditic/male Asari or Ardat-Yakshi. The reason so few of them are actually identified is because that recessive gene also has a hand in the empathy ability (Asari can feel everything their mate feels), and the few genomes that end up failing to express that ability result in the Asari killing their partner during melding without them even realizing it. Sometimes though, such as in the case of Morinth, the Asari just got plain unlucky and were actual psychopaths.
- Also, all those Asari that the Batarians abducted and lobotomized? Many of them carried this Y-gene. They were set up for abduction by an Asari cult dedicated to ridding the entire race of all birth defects, from the mundane to the extreme, under the cover of a charitable organization.
- Samiel Viridian, a male Asari, is revealed to be one of, at most, seven Asari out of twelve billion that express all of these characteristics (Domination, Reave, Empathy, and masculinity); the 'perfect Ardat-Yakshi.'
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Siege and Mercuria
- You Are The Translated Foreign Word: The Asari language is literally monogendered: it contains no masculine pronouns whatsoever. The best Asari can manage without resorting to speaking in another language is not-she.