Fanfic: Return Of The Lawndale Militia
The "exciting" sequel to the "popular" The Misery Senshi Neo Zero Double Blitzkrieg Debacle!Peter Guerin's second contribution to the Daria fandom is a Mega Crossover that mashes Koko Wa Greenwood, Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, and even Sailor Moon, into a sort of continuity stew. And then proceeds to get all of those characters completely wrong as well.As the title suggests, the remains of one of the terrorist groups from the last story are once again attempting to retake Lawndale and install their hyper-conservative regime. They're recruiting the help of Shinobu Tezuka's sister due to her ties to the yakuza allowing her to funnel them weapons, which puts the cast members of both Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats on a plane to Lawndale to investigate the weapon sales. This eventually puts the entire cast of characters back in Tokyo for a final showdown and Loads and Loads of Characters does not even begin to describe it.The original story can be found here. The MST is still here, though the authors of the MST had little familiarity with the less mainstream crossovers used for this story. This resulted in many of the jokes focusing on both the characters relative obscurity to the average media consumer and the insane personalities they received here.While this was the last story in the unfinished trilogy, Guerin did one more story in-between, the prequel Triumph Of The Retart.
- Adaptation Expansion: Misako the ghost is an extremely minor character in Greenwood. Here, she's a regular presence and the dorm mascot.
- Artistic License – Engineering: The yakuza use walkie-talkies the way most people use cell phones now. The problem is, walkie-talkies are short range radios, not long-range telecommunications devices that can cover a metropolitan area the size of Tokyo (one of the largest cities in the world.) Ironically, at the time the story was written, cell phone saturation in Japan was far higher than in the US, to the point that it would have made more sense to just include them in the first place...
- Attempted Rape/Black Comedy Rape: Shun's nearly being raped should be horrifying, but the author plays the discovery of his actual gender by the rapist as humorous.
- Calvinball: Mack distracts the guards with a card game called "Flopputs", which Guerin admits is a Homage to "Fizzbin" from the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "A Piece of the Action".
- Don't Explain the Joke: Instead of a lengthy appendix at the end as with the last work, this fanfic decides to constantly halt the prose entirely to explain every single joke as it comes up.
- Gainaxing: Brittany "practicing her jumps" causes this.
- Groin Attack: A Guerin tradition returns, the most dramatic being a henchman getting dropkicked to the groin.
- Homage: More "scene liftings" are passed off as these; in particular, a rip-off of Ghostbusters' ghost traps is used to capture Misako.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: To the point where you can get a Wall of Text just from the paragraphs needed to establish how many people eventually end up in one scene at the same time.
- Male Gaze: A ridiculous amount of time spent on describing the positions and appearances of boobs.
- Obligatory Swearing: EVERYONE. Everyone. Whether they have ever uttered a single curse word in their source works or not.
- Panty Shot: Yes, in text. So gratuitous that it even includes a foot note from the author describing the prevalence of panty shots and nudity in anime (note that he gets that wrong as well.)
- Sequel Hook: The story ends with a note telling the reader to look for "Lawndale Militia III: The Final Conflict", as the resolution of the "Lawndale Milita" trilogy. This story was never written, though a prequel was written between the two fanfics and is intended to have the same timeline. Guerin's other "Daria OVAs" follow a different continuity and ignore the Lawndale Militia stories entirely.
- Show Some Leg: Daria gets into a yakuza headquarters via her and Jane pretending to be strippers looking for an audition. Note that Daria doing a sexy striptease down to her underwear doesn't actually provide much of a distraction since both she and Jane were already armed to the teeth and the guards aren't actually being shown being distracted.
- Toilet Humour: Unlike the stories it is a sequel to, this particular entry relies heavily on fart jokes to stay "edgy".
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Repeating a joke about the extremely feminine Shun from Greenwood, except much creepier because it's part of a rape attempt by a yakuza member. Also, the sheer shock of said yakuza member in discovering his rape victim was still biologically male causes him to "comically" abandon the rape and run away screaming.
- Western Terrorists: The Lawndale Militia returns from Malarky Sushi Surprise. Again, they fall under the Right Wing Militia Fanatic type. Complete with author tracts describing their tactics!
- Writer on Board: Returning from the previous story, except this time Peter will not only have the characters parrot his opinions, he will also stop the narrative cold with footnotes on his views.
- Yakuza: The fictional Tezuka Yakuza serve as one of many criminal organizations Daria and the cast of thousands must pursue. Note that this is not a traditional naming scheme for yakuza groups...despite the author's claim of being an expert in all things related to Japanese culture.
- You Can Keep Her: Inverted in the MST.Nagisa: I've got Shun and Misako hostage here.
Mike: And I'll release them unless you do as I say!