Fan Fic: Quick To The Trigger
"Please tell me this is no way part of your horseshoes universe"
The first review for the story.
"Oh shit, it is connected. There goes the world.""Quick to the Trigger" is a Crossover fanfic between Power Rangers and Kamen Rider. It starts off the night before the opening of a big exhibit in the Los Angeles Musem of History and a strange benefactor has asked the Silver City Guardians to guard it. The find revolves around the discovery of a humongous Serpent skeleton found in the Sahara desert. On the same day as the exhibit's grand opening, there's a book signing by the famous paleontologist Dr. Thomas "Tommy" Oliver being held in Grace's Books. Unfortunately, when Tommy Oliver is about to make his speech, he collapses and a strange boy takes Dr. Oliver's body away. Not long after, a train shaped like a giant bull arrives with warnings of a great danger up ahead.It turns out that in the very distant future, a boy known as Gentaro Kisaragi somehow awakens from his slumber and plunges the Earth into chaos. Dr. Oliver is related to this madness, alongside the giant twin-headed snake flying across the city and the events that would cause Earth to become a living hell.The story is being written by Green Phantom Queen, known for her other well-known work, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades. The story fits within Horseshoe's timeline, but aside from references and a few characters mentioned, the story can be read as a separate piece of work, although the multiple references only make sense if one actually has read the fics involved.
A later review from the same reviewer.
Quick to the Trigger provides examples of:
- Alliterative Title: Dr. Oliver's book is known as Serpentine Stories: The Myths of the Sacred Serpents.
- Bad Future: What happened when Gentaro wakes up later on.
- Came Back Wrong: David Trueheart
- Continuity Nod: Maya reads one of SplitxEnd's messages regarding Gentaro's death.
- Crossover: On the Power Rangers side we have Time Force and Dino Thunder representatives. For the Kamen Riders we have Dragon Knight and Den-O, with more to come from the looks of it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tommy.
- Early-Bird Cameo/Late-Arrival Spoiler: Varies. It's an Early-Bird Cameo due to many characters coming from the future, but a Late-Arrival Spoiler because of how the stories were published. For example: Hayato is revealed to be a future Shun Daimonji resurrected by Vasuki, but Shun himself doesn't become a Serpent-bearer until the 13th chapter of Horseshoes and Hand-Grenades. Quick to the Trigger starts on a Tuesday—Shun dies three days later.
- Epigraph: Just like in Horseshoes.
- Foreshadowing: The end of the first chapter has the voice in the stranger's head mentioning that "We don't want this little trip to end in disaster." The next chapter reveals that the stranger is Trip.
- Heroes Of Another Story: Back in Horseshoes and Hand-Grenades, Owner mentioned how Ryotaro, Kotaro and Yuto were off fixing some stuff in the past. This is what they've been doing.
- Heroic Bystander: Maya, throwing a book at the "strange person" (later revealed as Trip) from getting away.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter is called 'Trigger' and each chapter name is a phrase or song starting with the last word(s) from the previous chapter, similar to Horseshoes and Hand-Grenades and A Month of Sundays.
- It's a Long Story: The dialogue in the second chapter.Ethan: Ventara? What type of strange world is that?Kit: Long, long story.
- Teddy also gets into this during the Write Back to the Future situation.
- Mythology Gag:
- Tommy still has his old arrowhead pendant. Ethan also makes references to Tommy's archives on former Power Ranger teams upon meeting Wes and Eric.
- Kotaro is depicted with blond hair, just like in Let's Go Kamen Riders.
- Necromancer: Hayato when he revived David Truehart, although he states that it wasn't easy to do.
- Noodle Incident: Hayato's necromancy was apparently so horrible that Yuto almost swore to eat nothing but shitake mushrooms for the rest of his life.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Trent Fernandez-Mercer (Dino Thunder) and Trent Mosley (Dragon Knight).
- Sarcasm-Blind: Vasuki upon reacting to Tommy's comment.Tommy: (Upon learning that his death had been delayed) Oh, I'm so flattered.Vasuki: You should be. You would've been the main general of the Armed Forces of Ouroboros.
- Shout-Out: The beginning of the third chapter has Kira singing "In The Darkness" and she and Maya brings up Fiona Philip's old paranormal website.
- That Man Is Dead: Hayato, who insist that he gave up his original name Shun Daimonji a long time ago.
- Throw the Book at Them: Maya does this to the stranger in the second chapter.
- Write Back to the Future: A photo of a snake bracelet has the word Trueheart written on it which is related to a few time-travelers working on ensuring that events in the present are being played out.