Fan Fic: Pretty Cure Perfume Preppy
Written by cure_shabon
at Livejournal, it's one of the first fictional Alternate Continuities
for the Pretty Cure
franchise, and practically (if not actually) the oldest and longest. It's said to be "aspects of old Pretty Cure
series gathered together to form a new one", but still has a fairly large fanbase.
The story goes like this: Many years ago, a great evil struck the Scent Kingdom
, a kingdom in an alternate dimension populated by small talking animals. Their last hope was a team of five Extraordinarily Empowered Girls
known as Pretty Cure, who easily managed to destroy this great evil and bring peace back to the kingdom.
However, several years later, the organization of Karlix appears, in plans to obtain the Angelic Dandelion
and Take Over the World
. After Karlix causes havoc in the Scent Kingdom, the current prince and princess are sent to Earth, more specifically to the small town of Oriyama, where they are charged of managing a perfume shop and finding the next generation of Pretty Cure. Within a few chapters or so, they have assembled a complete team:
- Chloe Auriville (Cure Rosa): The Leader of the team and The Protagonist, 14 years old. A gentle and collected cherry-redhead from France, who cares a lot about her family and friends.
- Chiara Auriville (Cure Vanilla): Kid-Appeal Character, 13 years old. The youngest member of the team, and Chloe's cheerful and "just clueless" younger sister.
- Ayameko Mayonaka (Cure Jasmine): The Lancer, 14 years old. A tomboyish girl who is the captain of the school's baseball team. Loves pudding.
- Hanae Mitsukawa (Cure Tangerine): The Smart Gal, 14 years old. A graceful and demure Meganekko who is training to become a ballerina.
- Ikuko Torino (Cure Cardamomo): The Big Gal, 16 years old. The oldest member of the team, and the heiress to a toy store chain. Becomes Hanae's seme, and is quite well-endowed.
- Lavvie and Lotus: Double as Team Pets and Mentors. Scent Kingdom's prince and princess themselves, two skunks who are brother and sister. Lavvie is happy-go-lucky, while Lotus is slightly more down-to-earth.
Later on, two additional characters are introduced to the main cast:
More character-specific tropes may be found here
It can be read on the LiveJournal page
and on Fanfiction.net
This fanfic contains examples of:
- A-Cup Angst (Chiara and Ashley, to hilarious extents on the former's part.)
- After the End (The Cures encounter a desolated, post-apocalyptic Oriyama after returning from the Scent Kingdom in episode 48.)
- Alternate Continuity
- Annoying Younger Sibling (Kiyo, Ikuko's little brother, and Taisuke, Ayameko's cousin from episode 9 (although he would be more of an Annoying Younger Cousin). It doesn't help that in the same episode the two form an unstoppable duo and team up with Caitlin, the younger sister of a minor character.)
- Anti-Villain (Lucia, in The Movie)
- Artificial Human (Ashley, who was presumably created from biological materials and rapidly grown in a tank. She even has the atypical eye color and coldness to go with it.)
- Asshole Victim (Ashley's very first on-screen casualty, in her official debut in episode 24, was someone who tried to touch her inappropriately.)
- A-Team Firing (Happens as part of Hanae's bad luck spree in episode 36)
- Ballet Episode: "Flying with Broken Wings" centers on a devastating injury Hanae suffers that almost causes her to quit dancing. The rest of the Cures put on a ballet show of their own in a successful attempt to make her feel better.
- Beach Episode (episode 16)
- Belligerent Sexual Tension (Ayameko and Pittan)
- Bland-Name Product / Captain Ersatz
- Bloodier and Gorier: If you like graphic depictions of blood, corpses, and cannibalism, go to episode 48.
- Bond One-Liner (Cure Jasmine in episode 45. "We're having roasted cheese for dinner tonight!")
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: Lili, who starts wearing braces from episode 39 onwards. Subverted since hers are of the small, ordinary kind.
- Bumbling Dad (Theodore)
- But Not Too Foreign (Chloe and Chiara; subverted due to them being fully French rather than half-French)
- By the Power of Grayskull! ("Pretty Cure's Scent of Love! note
- Ashley/Leather Ashes uses "Kage Mutate!", which gets "Watashi wo Akiraka ni!" attached onto the beginning in episode 41, to transform into Beserker Ashes.
- Colour Coded Characters (The author likes being original and standing out from the rest, so instead of the usual Sentai color combination (Red+ Blue+ Green+ Yellow+ Some Other Color), she brings us Pink+ Yellow+ Purple+ Orange+ Green. However, red and blue do show up in the girls' school uniforms.)
- The dance lessons scene midway through episode 28 has the four girls participating wearing their respective theme colors.
- Cooldown Hug (From Cure Rosa to Berseker Ashes in episode 41.)
- Crossdresser (Ayameko gets the part of one of the male villains of Futari wa Hearty Pure, Pisshurd, in episode 28.)
- Pittan pulls this off in the second eyecatch and is rewarded by a Paper Fan of Doom from Ayameko.
- Darker and Edgier (While not overt, this trope is definitely in effect in places during the second half, especially whenever Ashley's involved.)
- Dark Magical Girl (Ashley McFly A.K.A Leather Ashes. Also the Cures' Ylang-Ylang mirror images in episode 7.)
- Disappeared Dad (Hanae; her dad died in a forest fire.)
- The Ditz (At the beginning, Chiara was one of these in training.)
- Early-Bird Cameo (Suggested for the closing credits of episode 50, the scene in question in which Kaori Furuya, who will have a major role in episode 47 of Pretty Cure Heavy Metal, appears as a member of Oriyama High's dance club with Hanae.)
- Embarrassing First Name (In episode 37, Santa Claus is a seemingly young boy who prefers to go by the name of Nicola.)
- Embarrassing Nickname (Pittan hates to be called "Pit".)
- Elemental Powers
- The Elevator from Ipanema (Subverted in episode 6, since it's not Girl From Ipanema playing. Also lampshaded by Chiara and Hakuo.)
- Eleventh Hour Superpower (Granted by the Angelic Dandelion, no less!)
- Everybody Laughs Ending (Once or twice.)
- Everything's Better with Princesses (Lotus)
- Everything's Better with Spinning (Cure Tangerine's "Pretty Cure Tangerine Whirlwind", her spinning kick in episode 17, and her spinning punch in episode 24.)
- Eye Tropes
- Brown Eyes (Ikuko in civillian form, Sasaki)
- Green Eyes (Many people have green eyes, actually: Chloe, Arisa, Lapinyuu, the Ichiyou brothers, Pittan... and Ikuko as Cure Cardamomo.)
- Kaleidoscope Eyes (From civillian to Cure form. Chloe: green to pink; Chiara: light blue to hazel; Ayameko: dark blue to purple; Hanae; red to orange; Ikuko: brown to green.)
- Expy (Most of all, Chiara and Pittan are expies of Urara and Syrup, plus Ikuko's a lot like what would Sailor Jupiter and Rina Toin's offspring would be like.)
- Five-Man Band
- Foreign Fanservice (Averted with Ashley.)
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: A rare five-temperament example. Chloe is melancholic (but she's not a perfectionist at any extent), Chiara is sanguine, Ayameko is choleric, Hanae is supine and Ikuko is phlegmatic (although not to the point of being lazy).
- Furo Scene: For Ikuko, at the beginning of episode 35.
- Genki Girl: Chiara and Lapinyuu.
- Genre Popularizer: Would there be any Pretty Cure OC-season fic without this story? Probably not.
- Genre Savvy: Lapinyuu
- Gilligan Cut: In episode 44.
Pittan: No, no and NO! I am NOT going to school with you guys! I'm staying here and there is nothing you can do to make me change my mind! I'm not going to school, end of story!
Pittan: I can't believe that I'm at school.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Peppermint Carnage in episode 45.
- Go Out with a Smile: Queen Aida.
- Gratuitous Japanese
- Groin Attack (Chiara does this to a monster in episodes 6 and 15. Same with Hanae in episode 35.)
- Hair Tropes
- Hannibal Lecture (Rare heroic example: Leather Ashes to Raflesina, who then proceeds to go "Shut Up, Hannibal!" like never before.)
- Happy Holidays Mini Dress Of Power (In episode 37, the girls gain Christmas versions of their usual Pretty Cure outfits.)
- Heel-Face Turn (Lapinyuu is fired from Karlix for sporting Pretty Cure paraphernalia in Raflesina's presence and desires to join the Cures but is rejected, though by chance she winds up in her first acting job immediately afterward—as Third Ranger to Hearty Pure, Glowy Radiant.)
- She's not the only one, though; Ashley will have one too, in episode 49—and she'll nearly pay for it with her life. However, she survives.
- Hell-Bent for Leather (Subverted; the only place where Leather Ashes really has leather on is her name.)
- One of two Halloween costumes suggested for Ayameko was the costume worn by Marlon Brando in The Wild One (the other was a San Francisco Giants uniform), but which one she'll wear will be decided if and when the Halloween picture is put up. Better late than never...
- Hey, It's That Guy! / WTH, Casting Agency? (Invoked: the author is glad Imagine Casting has a page for this series and recognized Edward Cullen and Troy Bolton as being the Ichiyou brothers... but thought that Rupert Grint as Cure Rosa was pretty lame and didn't recognize half the rest! The author of Shining Pretty Cure has posted her own cast listing that keeps most of the original choices and cast Hallie Kate Eisenberg as Cure Rosa. The original poster has found agreement on most of the choices except for Hanae's mother from an unknown user who wishes to remain anonymous to TV Tropes.)
- High Heel-Face Turn (The only two denizens of Karlix that converted to the good side here were female: Lapinyuu and Ashley.)
- Humanity Ensues (Pittan is able to transform into his human form whenever he squawks.)
- Idol Singer (Aurora-sensei, the girls' teacher, was one of these when she was younger. Also, Hyosuke Holic.)
- Ill Boy (Sasaki's brother, and the reason she had to give up her dream of being a Yamato Nadeshiko.)
- I'm a Humanitarian (Ashley in episode 48)
- Insistent Terminology
- I Should Write a Book About This: In the final episode, Chloe decides to write about everything that happened.
- Kawaiiko (Lapinyuu)
- Keet (Meguo and Lavvie)
- Ladies and Germs (When the author is introducing episode 35: "Ladies, gentlemen, and Ryanasaurus...", referring, of course, to the author of Pretty Cure Heavy Metal, which is set in the same universe.)
- Laser-Guided Amnesia (Ikuko and many other Oriyama citizens in episode 35.)
- Laughably Evil (Lapinyuu again)
- Lemony Narrator (Most of the time.)
- Little Miss Badass (Ashley.)
- Magic Pants (Beautifully averted by Pittan whenever he turns human.)
- Magic Skirt (Every Cure except Rosa.)
- Make Me Wanna Shout (Chiara/Vanilla's first attack, "Pretty Cure Vanilla Echo", and Hanae/Tangerine's power-up attack, "Pretty Cure Tangerine Silver Wail".)
- Malaproper (Hanae's grandmother Sadachi, who in her first appearance mistook Chloe and Chiara's names for Black and Crown.)
- Marshmallow Hell (Ikuko puts Pittan through this in episode 35.)
- Meaningful Name (While some of the names were picked out at random, Ayameko's last name means "midnight". And given that purple is kind of a night-ish color...)
- Meganekko (Hanae and Sasaki)
- Mid-Season Upgrade (The Silver Cure Humming Birds.)
- Minion Shipping (Gaabeitan/Raflesina, althought still one-sided. Yes, she's his boss, but that's not the case.)
- Missed the Call (Lili in episode 4. Turns out, Ikuko beat her to the cardomom scent.)
- Missing Mom (If you're not Ayameko, raise your hand.)
- Modesty Towel (Hakuo at the end of episode 19, Ikuko at the beginning of episode 35.)
- Monster of the Week (As in any other Pretty Cure series; here, they're called Ylang-Ylangs.)
- The Movie (Yes, there's gonna be one after the series is over. Word of God says so.)
- Mythology Gag (Futari wa Hearty Pure, mentioned very often through the fanfic.)
- Naked People Are Funny (Much like the cursed Sohma family, Pittan is always in the buff when he transforms into a human, leading to much awkwardness in Episode 44.)
- New Job Episode (episode 5)
- New Transfer Student (Chloe and Chiara at the beginning, Ashley and supporting character Arisa later on.)
- No Celebrities Were Harmed (Hyosuke Holic, of course, as well as some subtle examples from episode 44.)
- Non Sequitur Thud (The "Smily Lolipopu Land" song.)
- Official Couple (Hakuo and Chloe, Meguo and Ran, Hanae and Ikuko, Pittan and Ayameko.)
- Ojou (Ikuko)
- Older Than They Look (Nicola may look 18, but in fact he can't even remember his real age.)
- One-Winged Angel (Ash Powder doesn't just strengthen monsters, it can turn users into them, as seen in Episode 39).
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase (Chloe's general Catch Phrase "Hanekaeshita anata wo uketomeru", translating to "Catch you on the rebound" according to Word of God.)
- Opera Gloves (Sported by Cures Jasmine and Cardamomo.)
- Our Mermaids Are Different (Hanae, episode 20)
- Original Character (And how!)
- Paper Fan of Doom (Ayameko uses one on Pittan during one of the eyecatches.)
- Petting Zoo People (Lapinyuu for having bunny ears and a cat tail, Chiara in episode 18, and Chleo (and apparently her unseen teammates) everytime she transforms into Cure Rhodonite.)
- Phenotype Stereotype (Averted with Ashley (see Foreign Fanservice above); also one of the things she hates.)
- Polly Wants a Microphone (Pittan)
- Pose of Supplication (Done by Chloe in episode 10.)
- Post-Episode Trailer
- Post-Kiss Catatonia (Happens to Taisuke in episode 9, after Caitlin kisses his cheek.)
- Precision F-Strike (Pittan in episode 38. "DON'T CALL ME PIT, DAMMIT!")
- The Psycho Rangers (The boys from the Sunday Scent Shop.)
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! ("IT! WASN'T! A! DATE!")
- Punny Name (Ikuko's surname means "of the bird", and her theme color is green. What's so punny about it? The chain of toy stores her parents own is called "Green Bird's Toy Heaven". Plus, there's a whole theme of humming birds going on, so...)
- Quirky Miniboss Squad (Again, as in any other Pretty Cure series.)
- Redemption Equals Death (Subverted, as when Ashley is redeemed it's Cure Rosa who dies. She gets better, though.)
- Refusal of the Call (with Lili)
- Retool: Cure Shabon has expressed interest in remaking Perfume Preppy and fixing its mistakes in the form of a new product called Fragrant Pretty Cure. As of now, there isn't any more information than that.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians (Hanae and Ikuko are slowly developing into this. It'll be canon by episode 43.)
- Screaming Birth (The beginning of episode 14. To quote the narrator, "birds fled at the resulting wail".)
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here! (The magician, Tsumuji, says this in annoyance as the audience is distracted by the fight of the Cures versus One-Winged Angel Frencheese in episode 45.)
- Shirtless Scene (From both Ichiyou brothers at the end of episode 19.)
- Ship Tease (In episode 18, it's implied that Lavvie is worried about Chiara, spawning a rather crafty dialogue exchange between him and his sister.)
Lavvie: We have to finish this quick, Lotus! Otherwise Chia-chan won't be able to fight with the others!
Lotus: You like her, don'tcha, desu?
* Of course not, nee-chan! It's just that I'm worried about her and the others!
- Show Within A Fanfic (Again, Futari wa Hearty Pure, a surprising case where both varieties appear in the same time: the Cures (and also most people at their school) are big fans of the show, and Lapinyuu becomes part of the cast, playing a Shiny Luminous parody.)
- The two shows that helped Chloe and Chiara's father Theodore become a trampoline fetishist, Bounce and Thud, also count.
- Shout-Out (If the author saw it, it'll get referenced in the story at some point.)
- For instance, there is a BLATANT Shout-Out to the Brazillian edition of American Idol in episodes 31 and 34, particularly to a contestant known as Marcos Paulo. He ended up being eliminated during the Top 6 (such thing did happen to his fanfic counterpart Hyosuke Holic during his second appearance) and never popped up at media again since then, but the author still swoons over him.
- And then there's Ayameko nicknaming her guitar "Blue Moon" in episode 45, which also mentions "Second Spin" (Night and Sunday's finishing move) and includes a Ship Tease moment reminiscent of Asa falling onto Yoko in episode 10.
- Shrinking Violet (Hanae, more like Shrinking Orange)
- Sick Episode (Well, hurt, but still counts.)
- Skinship Grope (Ayameko's infamous "Gropefruit Hour", which fails miserably when she tries it on Ashley.)
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion (Happened once to Chloe during episode 8. Naturally, she was the Austicles parody.)
Chloe: Whoa! I look like I took one heck of a sunburn. (twirls about) I mean, I'm cherry-red even when I— (covers mouth in shock) Xi. I was about to rhyme.
- Superpowered Evil Side (More like Superpowered Eviler Side; Ashley gains a new transformation into Berserker Ashes in episode 41. It doesn't last, though.)
- Surprise Santa Encounter (In episode 37, Ikuko finds an unconscious white-haired boy next to her Christmas tree. Guess who that is?)
- Sweet Polly Oliver (Sasaki, when she was in the basketball team masquerading as her brother.)
- Theme Naming (A motif of scents stretches itself through the Cures and the mascots (Lavvie is short for lavender, and Pittan's name is supposed to be derivated from the Brazillian name of the Eugenia uniflora). Heck, even Raflesina and the monsters fall under this!)
- Theme Tune Cameo (The ending theme of Fresh Pretty Cure!, "You Make Me Happy", is both Chloe's ringtone and played in episode 12 as a Chinese parade song. And a bossa nova-fied "Smile Go Go", the opening for the first season of Yes! Pretty Cure 5, is elevator music.)
- 3-D Movie (Suggested for The Movie, though scrapped as the movie slowly changed its plot. Failed attempts to get the author to reconsider may force the author of Pretty Cure Heavy Metal to do two 3D movies instead of just one to make up for the turn of events.)
- Trademark Favorite Food (Ayameko has such an obsession with pudding. Also, Pittan and his butterscotch.)
- Transformation Sequence (Subverted; the space normally used for describing the transformation are filled with random comments by the Lemony Narrator, usually about "sparkly stuff". In episode 12, there is a little quote by the narrator during that part which reasons that.)
First, it's repetitive and boring if you read the series everyday; second, it's a matter of letting you guys imagine how they would be like; and third, I don't have the time to do it.
- Transformation Trinket (The CureBottles, their replacement pendants in episode 17, and Leather Ashes' Leather Fan.)
- Twelfth Night Adventure (Sasaki. However, unlike most others, it didn't end well, as she got kicked off the team after her secret is revealed, and the team's luck had the floor drop from under it, as it lost a lot of games and eventually gave up and dissolved.)
- Two-Teacher School (Averted; Oriyama Junior High has a set of different classes, with one teacher for each class, plus a school nurse and a PE teacher.)
- Underboobs (Ikuko as "Cure Wintergreen" in episode 11.)
- Verbal Tic (Lotus tends to finish her sentences in "desu". Also, in episode 18, puppy Chiara adopts the suffix "-da wan" to the end of her phrases, and Tsubo-kun (the Karlix denizens' butler) adds "-iran".)
- Where the Hell Is Springfield? (The fanfic takes place in the fictional town of Oriyama, which neighbours the equally fictional town of Tsukimiya. Add another equally fictional town, Isuten, and you have the Tri-Cities. Now, about where they're located, the author is still unsure.)
- Xtreme Kool Letterz ("Karlix" is actually just "garlic" (or even the plural "garlics") with this invoked. Granted the whole scent thematic, it's not surprising.)
- Yamato Nadeshiko (Sasaki strived to be one of these at first, but gave up when she had to cut her hair and replace her brother at the school's basketball team.)
- Zettai Ryouiki (Cures Vanilla and Jasmine, as well as Leather Ashes. Vanilla is probably the most attractive of them.)