Fan Fic / Pretty Cure Perfume Preppy
Written by cure_shabon
at Livejournal, it's one of the first fictional Alternate Continuities
for the Pretty Cure
franchise, and practically (if not actually) the oldest and longest. It's said to be "aspects of old Pretty Cure
series gathered together to form a new one", but still has a fairly large fanbase.
The story goes like this: Many years ago, a great evil struck the Scent Kingdom
, a kingdom in an alternate dimension populated by small talking animals. Their last hope was a team of five Extraordinarily Empowered Girls
known as Pretty Cure, who easily managed to destroy this great evil and bring peace back to the kingdom.
However, several years later, the organization of Karlix appears, in plans to obtain the Angelic Dandelion
and Take Over the World
. After Karlix causes havoc in the Scent Kingdom, the current prince and princess are sent to Earth, more specifically to the small town of Oriyama, where they are charged of managing a perfume shop and finding the next generation of Pretty Cure. Within a few chapters or so, they have assembled a complete team:
- Chloe Auriville (Cure Rosa): The Leader of the team and The Protagonist, 14 years old. A gentle and collected cherry-redhead from France, who cares a lot about her family and friends.
- Chiara Auriville (Cure Vanilla): Kid-Appeal Character, 13 years old. The youngest member of the team, and Chloe's cheerful and "just clueless" younger sister.
- Ayameko Mayonaka (Cure Jasmine): The Lancer, 14 years old. A tomboyish girl who is the captain of the school's baseball team. Loves pudding.
- Hanae Mitsukawa (Cure Tangerine): The Smart Gal, 14 years old. A graceful and demure Meganekko who is training to become a ballerina.
- Ikuko Torino (Cure Cardamomo): The Big Gal, 16 years old. The oldest member of the team, and the heiress to a toy store chain. Becomes Hanae's seme, and is quite well-endowed.
- Lavvie and Lotus: Double as Team Pets and Mentors. Scent Kingdom's prince and princess themselves, two skunks who are brother and sister. Lavvie is happy-go-lucky, while Lotus is slightly more down-to-earth.
Later on, two additional characters are introduced to the main cast:
It can be read on the LiveJournal page
and on Fanfiction.net
This fanfic contains examples of:
- After the End: In episode 48, the Cures encounter a desolated, post-apocalyptic Oriyama after returning from the Scent Kingdom.
- Asshole Victim: Ashley's very first on-screen casualty, in her official debut in episode 24, was someone who tried to touch her inappropriately.
- Ballet Episode: "Flying with Broken Wings" centers on a devastating injury Hanae suffers that almost causes her to quit dancing. The rest of the Cures put on a ballet show of their own in a successful attempt to make her feel better.
- Bloodier and Gorier: For the most part, this fic is fairly tame and light hearted...until Episode 48 when Ashley, aka Leather Ashes, eats a corpse. It's depicted in graphic detail.
- Continuity Reboot: Cure Shabon has expressed interest in redoing Perfume Preppy and fixing its mistakes in the form of a new product called Fragrant Pretty Cure. As of now, there isn't any more information than that.
- Day of the Week Name: The Akutare brothers, Getsuyo, Kayo and Suiyo, are named after the Japanese words for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (Getsuyoubi, Kayoubi and Suiyoubi).
- Elemental Powers: The Five-Man Band comprises Heart (Cure Rosa), Sound (Cure Vanilla), Lightning (Cure Jasmine), Air (Cure Tangerine), and Earth (Cure Cardamomo), though this changes a little with the power-up attacks. On the other hand, Dark Magical Girl Leather Ashes uses the elements of Darkness and Blood.
- The Elevator from Ipanema: Subverted and lampshaded. In the sixth episode, there is an elevator moment, in which a bossa nova-ish version of the opening for the first season of Yes! Pretty Cure 5, "Smile Go Go", played instead of the obligatory "Girl from Ipanema". Chiara asks why is it so, and Hakuo responds it was too overused.
- Gilligan Cut: In episode 44.
Pittan: No, no and NO! I am NOT going to school with you guys! I'm staying here and there is nothing you can do to make me change my mind! I'm not going to school, end of story!
Pittan: I can't believe that I'm at school.
- Girl Scouts Are Evil: In episode 11, genre savvy villainess Lapinyuu disguises as a girl scout to enter the Auriville residence. It fails miserably.
Would you like some fresh-baked cookies from Aunt Makoto?s Farm? They come in the flavors of chocolate, strawberry, peach, blueberry, pineapple, passionfruit
and Oreos with peanut— (Chloe slams door on her face) —butter.
- Hair Decorations:
- Chiara and her daisy hairclip.
- In some original sketches Chloe had a pink-red-ish butterfly hairpin.
- Heel–Face Turn:
- In episode 13, Lapinyuu is fired from Karlix for sporting Pretty Cure paraphernalia in Raflesina's presence and desires to join the Cures but is rejected, though by chance she winds up in her first acting job immediately afterward—as Third Ranger to Hearty Pure, Glowy Radiant.
- High-Class Glass: Classmate Arisa Erisawa wears a monocle over one of her eyes — because she's blind in that eye.
- High-Heel–Face Turn: The only two denizens of Karlix that converted to the good side here were female: Lapinyuu and Ashley.
- Humanity Ensues: In episode 44, Pittan gains the ability to become human from Queen Aida, and is absolutely displeased with this, even refusing to go to school with the other girls. He does go anyways.
- Hypothetical Casting: Has both a Japanese and English language hypothetical voice cast list.
- Asumi Nakata as Chloe Auriville/Cure Rosa.
- Asami Shimoda as Chiara Auriville/Cure Vanilla.
- Satsuki Yukino as Mayonaka Ayameko/Cure Jasmine.
- Natsuko Kuwatani as Mitsukawa Hanae/Cure Tangerine.
- Rio Natsuki as Torino Ikuko/Cure Cardamomo.
- Tomoko Kaneda as Lavvie.
- Rie Iwatsubo as Lotus.
- Yusuke Tezuka as Pittan/Daidai Pitari.
- Yuriko Yamaguchi as Ashley McFly/Leather Ashes.
- Akio Ohtsuka as Stankou.
- Unshou Ishizuka as Francheese.
- Takeshi Aono as Gaabeiten.
- Bin Shimada as Shashincame.
- Miyoko Aso as Komorah.
- Chiemi Chiba as Nekoshippo Lori/Lapinyuu.
- Toshiko Fujita as Romona McFly/Raflesina.
- Sherry Lynn as Chloe Auriville/Cure Rosa.
- Luci Christian as Chiara Auriville/Cure Vanilla.
- Sandy Fox as Mayonaka Ayameko/Cure Jasmine.
- Bridget Hoffman as Mitsukawa Hanae/Cure Tangerine.
- Philece Sampler as Torino Ikuko/Cure Cardamomo.
- Tony Oliver as Lavvie.
- Rebecca Forstadt as Lotus.
- Steve Blum as Pittan/Daidai Pitari.
- Jamie Marchi as Ashley McFly/Leather Ashes.
- Lex Lang as Stankou.
- Kirk Thornton as Francheese.
- Richard Epcar as Gaabeiten.
- Mark Hamill as Shashincame.
- Catherine Battistone as Komorah.
- Tress MacNeille as Nekoshippo Lori/Lapinyuu.
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Romona McFly/Raflesina.
- Make Me Wanna Shout:
- Cure Vanilla's first attack, "Pretty Cure Vanilla Echo", had her scream into a giant yellow megaphone made of light, producing soundwaves that went straight to the enemy, killing it as of episode 5.
- Word of God says that Cure Tangerine's upcoming power-up attack, "Pretty Cure Tangerine Silver Wail", has her scream out orange soundwaves which do the same thing.
- Naked People Are Funny: Pittan is always in the buff when he transforms into a human, leading to much awkwardness in Episode 44.
- Red-Headed Heroine: Chloe has literal red hair in civilian form. Hanae is a more believable redhead (having orange hair), but gains literal red hair as well when turned into Cure Tangerine. However, both subvert the Fiery Redhead trope when it comes to personality, as Chloe is described as a gentle and kind-hearted girl, while Hanae is just a shrinking violet. The fiery one of the team happens to be purple-haired Ayameko.
- Ship Tease: In episode 18, it's implied that Lavvie is worried about Chiara, spawning a rather crafty dialogue exchange between him and his sister.
Lavvie: We have to finish this quick, Lotus! Otherwise Chia-chan won't be able to fight with the others!
Lotus: You like her, don'tcha, desu?
* Of course not, nee-chan! It's just that I'm worried about her and the others!
- Chiara’s hairstyle as Cure Vanilla was meant to resemble Bubbles.
- There is one to the Brazillian edition of American Idol in episodes 31 and 34, particularly to a contestant known as Marcos Paulo. He ended up being eliminated during the Top 6 (such thing did happen to his fanfic counterpart Hyosuke Holic during his second appearance) and never popped up at media again since then, but the author still swoons over him.
- Ayameko nicknaming her guitar "Blue Moon" in episode 45, which also mentions "Second Spin" (Night and Sunday's finishing move) and includes a Ship Tease moment reminiscent of Asa falling onto Yoko in episode 10.
- Show Within a Show:
- Futari wa Hearty Pure. The Cures (and also most people at their school) are big fans of the show, and Lapinyuu becomes part of the cast, playing a Shiny Luminous parody.
- The two shows that helped Chloe and Chiara's father Theodore become a trampoline fetishist, Bounce and Thud, also count.
- Two-Teacher School: Averted; Oriyama Junior High has a set of different classes, with one teacher for each class, plus a school nurse and a PE teacher.
- Verbal Tic:
- Lotus tends to finish her sentences in "desu".
- In episode 18, when Chiara was fused with Sophie the puppy, she ended her phrases with "-da wan".
- In episode 20, as a mermaid, Hanae ended her sentences with "pichi"; this suffix comes from "pichi pichi", the onomatopoeia of a fish blowing bubbles.
- Tsubo-kun (the Karlix denizens' butler) adds "-iran".
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: The fanfic takes place in the fictional town of Oriyama, which neighbours the equally fictional town of Tsukimiya. Add another equally fictional town, Isuten, and you have the Tri-Cities. Now, about where they're located, the author is still unsure.
- Whole Plot Reference: The fic is a rather unlikely example, as every so often it parodies episodes from actual TV shows instead of the usual things. To list what the author referenced so far: The Backyardigans, The Powerpuff Girls, Code Lyoko (three times so far!), and even Power Rangers Dino Thunder. Make that of what you will.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "Karlix" is actually just the word "garlic" (or even the plural "garlics") with this invoked.