Fanfic: Our True Colors
Scootaloo has never really cared much for Pinkie Pie, and she definitely doesn’t like the way Pinkie calls her hero “Dashie.” But for some strange reason, Pinkie seems fixated on her and insistent on meddling in Scootaloo’s life. Whether Scootaloo likes it or not.Our True Colors is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan fiction written by Donnys Boy. It takes the common fanon concept of “Orphan Scootaloo” and gives it an interesting new twist.
This Fanfic contains examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Averted. In this tale of two orphans, the adults are far from useless.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: One of the many Pinkie Pie habits that annoy Scootaloo.
- Bittersweet Ending: Scootaloo gets a new home, but it isn't with Pinkie.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: They were already bonding, but this revelation is what prompts Pinkie to open up to Applejack.
- Continuity Nod: Several.
- The CMC once again mange to cover themselves in tree sap.
- Dash and Pinkie nickname one of the boulders “Tom”.
- Scootaloo hides in the same schoolhouse bell Rainbow Dash did in Party of One.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Pinkie Pie's ravenous appetite and “hugginess” are shown to have tragic origins.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Happens twice.
- Rainbow Dash doesn't mind when Pinkie Pie calls her“Dashie”, but it annoys Scootaloo.
- And then Pinkie comes up with “Loo-Loo”. In Scootaloo's defense that one is pretty bad.
- Everybody Knew Already: Twilight Sparkle is apparently the only one of the Mane Six not to know Scootaloo is an orphan. And Applejack warns Pinkie that she'll figure it out soon.
- Fair Play Whodunnit: The clues to realize the filly in the flashback isn't Scootaloo are there from the beginning and become increasingly obvious until The Reveal.
- In-Series Nickname: It turns out Applejack is the one who first coined the nickname “Pinkie”.
- Parental Abandonment: Pretty much a given in a story about orphans.
- The Runaway: Of the orphaned type.
- Run Away Hide Away: Pinkie has her apple barrel.
- Sequencing Deception: The set up for the story naturally leads the reader to initially assume the flashbacks of the filly who came to Ponyville are Scootaloo's.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Averted, both Pinkie and Scootaloo wind up living on the streets because they ran and hid from the officials who tried to put them in an orphanage.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: The stories of Pinkie's past and Scootaloo's present.