Fan Fic / Officer Misako
"Save Soluna city, save the Universe." Kaede repeated, "Before the Marquis strikes..."
is a Troper Work
done by the sabrinadiamond
, inspired by the online RPG game MechQuest
. It is both a Deconstructor Fleet and
a Dark Fic
, combining Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
, meta-references to horror and Science fiction with a twisty ending... Sometimes it shows elements of Intercontinuity Crossover
at some points.
In the year 3008, Misako and her ˇThree Amigos!
attend the prestigious Soluna University
, run by a crotchety old principal named Dean Warlic. Life is normal, except for the occasional Mecha stomping past, alien invasions, werewolf bikers, the mystical 'Force'
and the power of Rock and Roll. At the same time, two band members are preparing for an important concert
when a Mad Scientist
and the disdained brother
'The Black Prince' who both declare a technological 'warfare'
on most Solunian citizens
all in the name of "For Science!
"! The end of their structured society as the three know it is nigh - as the Mad Scientist
converts more of the citizens against their will, into cyborgs
How are all these strange events related? It all changes when The Hero
is badly wounded by an aggressor and henceforth goes on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge
, taking up police work all in the name of patriotic JUSTICE
A human, a Deadpan Snarker
Martin and a werewolf hating
Police officer, They Fight Crime
Read the mayhem here
... It now has a Character Page! Yayz!
Here are the tropes...
- Action Girl: Larosin and Misako.
- Arranged Marriage: The Black Prince and the Lightning Mage, she's not happy with the proposal- she was kidnapped prior to this. It's actually more blatant and explicit in Her Unbound Captors prequel.
- Affectionate Parody: Detective Noir, B-Movie plots and Mecha anime justified...
- All There in the Manual: Blade 100's A Rouge's Tale and Legend of The Stars
- All-Powerful Bystander: Rayne Daie in Reaper mode- almost nothing can beat Death.
- Ambiguously Gay: Devlin and some unspecified others. Yes even the cyborgs Kayo/Kaede, the (fraternal) Creepy Twins of Soluna University.
- Amnesia Loop: Happens to the main cast after the Reset.
- Angel Unaware: Vixen reincarnated as the 'Avatar of Time' and resident Reality Warper in the finale.
- And the Adventure Continues: In the finale, with everyone else dead, except for 'old' Rayne, poor Diaglo and the main character- who all says, "We Are Not Going Through That Again!"
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Both the Lightning Mage and Vixen... Or is it?
- A Woman Scorned: Larosin, lampshaded and quoted by Misako
- Bad Thing You Can Heal: Larosin can heal quite quickly...
- Bittersweet Ending: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Beneath the Mask: Everyone, but especially Larosin and the Lightning Mage, who is at least Affably Evil and years later suffers a Split-Personality Takeover but that's another saga in itself.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The Lightning Mage and/or Misako
- Big Bad / The Chessmaster: The Queen of Monsters of AdventureQuest Worlds
- Bizarre Baby Boom: This event effected the whole world- even After the End
- Black Comedy: The whole story (Circle You)
- Blessed with Suck: Most of the main characters.
- Blind Date: Misako and her Best friends enter a Valentine pop-quiz show For the Evulz, sadly the dates do NOT match up.
- Blind Seer: See Fainting Seer.
- Blood Brothers: The Mad Scientist and his understudy, Helikoth, were arguably blood-brothers.
- Butch Lesbian: Larosin.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: The Lightning mage herself, to her own misfortune!
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Poor Misako (she can't even tell when Larosin's dileberately 'hitting' on her)
- Cloning Blues: Garnet Admete, a replacement clone of Larosin.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Poor Kayo and Kaede get this treatment.
- Cycle of Revenge: This is the 'song that never ends'...
- Coming-of-Age Story: An Aesop.
- Cooldown Hug: Melkior does this to a rampaging Diaglo. Then they both hug.
- Crossdresser: Misako was accused of this and even dressed up like a male to fool a werewolf blind date, it doesn't work out.
- Conscience Makes You Go Back: Misako considers not assisting Larosin after an almost fatal injury with Kayo the cyborg, but she helps her anyway. This act end up like The Farmer and the Viper later on.
- Continuity Cavalcade: After the 'Fourth Reset' in Swordhaven, nearly everyone from both eras were 'brought back' as the Timey-Wimey Ball soon bounces back to normal, this also causes a rather permanent merging of both past and future events... This was very confusing for everyone involved as the Big Bad arrives.
- Crapsack World: Soluna City (prior the Reset) exposes seams of a corrupt Police State ultra-dependent on technology. Everyone has personal problems, and suffers through them.
- Deal with the Devil: Larosin's whole schtick with The Queen of Monsters
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Rayne, post-Reset, becomes Death's assistant after spending his whole pre-Reset life as a pizza delivery boy. His new job status doesn't affect his witty banter or very funny humour. Still everyone fears Rayne after all.
- Darker and Edgier: Fanfic of MechQuest, in a more deconstructed fashion.
- Dating Service Disaster: Vixen tries to send her email to Kayo, but somebody else intercepts that... It ends badly.
- Deconstruction Fic: Makes you wonder...
- Dead Person Conversation: Already deceased Lightning Mage and Misako both communicate in their Self-Inflicted Hell / The Life Stream.
- Demonic Possession: The unfortunate Lightning Mage.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Kaede Maple (full name) has the same effect of saying Maple-Leaf Maple twice.
- Devour the Dragon: The Queen of Monsters does this to Priestess Pascha's body in the Citadel.
- Door Stopper: The entire series is THICK.
- Dysfunction Junction: Arguably everyone is screwed.
- In chapter 21. They're not happy.
- Elemental Powers: The Force acts like this (no, not THAT Force)
- Eldritch Abomination: The Queen of Monsters
- The Ending Changes Everything
- End of an Age: The end of Mecha technology, which becomes Lost Technology
- Episode 0: The Beginning
- The Evils of Free Will: Priestess Pascha firmly believes in this theory...
- Face–Heel Turn: The Lightning Mage, Pascha and Larosin
- Fainting Seer: Pascha, Devlin's Brainwashed and Crazy sister, also became a Blind Seer in the finale.
- The Fair Folk: The Black Prince himself is a changeling, which makes him become a Fatal Attractor
- False Friend: The suspense in this is to find out just who is false and who are your real allies.
- Fantastic Racism: Pascha and magic, Misako and werewolves.
- Freudian Trio: Misako, Devlin and Larosin.
- Friend or Idol Decision
- From Bad to Worse: The entire fanfic.
- First Church of Mecha: The AdventureQuest Worlds Citadel in the final chapter becomes like this with Pascha as the priestess.
- Fractured Fairytale: Has slight elements of this.
- Fusion Dance: FUU-SION, HA!
- Gainax Ending: Activating Genre Shift! (everyone: AAAAAAAAAAA-)
- Guardian of the Multiverse: The One
- Gender-Restricted Ability: Subverted somewhat, Devlin gets a really cool power, the power of getting people to 'ignore' him by becoming invisible. Diaglo gets a rather unusual tail which lifted heavy things, most are blood-knights.
- Genre Roulette: Good luck!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Numerous. Let us count the ways...
- Government Conspiracy: Part of the Milkman Conspiracy and a direct 'cover up'.
- God Is Evil: The Big Bad in some ways ( The Queen of Monsters).
- Gender Blender Names: Often used for 'comical' effects, and these are often unintentional. For example, is *Kayo* really a boy's name? (Well, it is in Africa, but...Whoops)
- Going Out With A Smile: The Lightning Mage at the end of her lifespan.
- Half Lorian Hybrid: The Lightning Mage.
- Humanity on Trial: The Big Bad is the post-Reset 'judge' of the Lorians...
- How We Got Here: Explained in the prequel Rites: Requiems Past (Larosin's biography) and Her Unbound Captors (The Lightning Mage's Belated Back Story and/or origins)
- How Unscientific!: A common nuance.
- His Name Is...: A minor annoyance when the team does some investigations of their own.
- History Repeats: Oh nooo!
- Human Alien: The majority of Solunian city people are this trope.
- Humongous Mecha: Only in the first few chapters.
- I Know What You Fear: Had Priestess Pascha continued her progress, then she would have expanded on her prophetic abilities to the detriment of everyone's fears.
- I Have Many Names: The Lightning Mage to Misako.
- Industrialized Evil: The whole concept.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: A lot of causalities ended up this way...
- The Lifestream: Most Solunians and (even humans spawn) from the Force and dissolve into the essence when they end their existence, with a few exceptions of course...
- Lost Common Knowledge: A lot of the people after the Reset seem to have reverted back to the basics
- Lovecraft Lite: The epilogue.
- Love Polygon: With a School Days twist
- Magic Versus Science: A major plot-line in the saga, with the Mad Scientist and the Priestess Pascha representing science and The Force representing a form of hidden pseudo-magic. Finally comes to a head in the Going Cosmic Grand Finale. It's a tie.
- Mobile Maze: Misako and the others are totally lost...
- Meaningful Name: Everyone in the series. For starters, the name Misako is apparently Japanese for Beautiful, helpful child. Ironic isn't it?
- Medical Horror: The Mad Scientist doesn't discriminate... (wicked glint)
- Merged Reality: What happens in chapter 21
- Multiple-Choice Past: EVERYONE!
- Mind Screw: The finale.
- Misako is Dead: This incident causes the Reset... setting up some Disaster Dominoes for the finale- and this is exactly what the Big Bad desired.
- Mood Whiplash: The beginning is more 'light-hearted', come the finale...
- Mundane Fantastic: Werewolf gangsters, pizza-delivering robots and Human Alien detectives, nuff said.
- Myth Arc: This fanfic is related to half a dozen other stories, e.g. The Caged Phoenix saga and others... You can easily tell the author has too much time on her hands.
- The Almost Nothing Afterlife: Duh. That or Self-Inflicted Hell...
- Our Demons Are Different: Guess who?
- Puberty Superpower: Many of the characters get their superpowers during University. Big surprise, eh?
- Physical God: Melkior (temporary) becomes a physical god, subverted as she wants to return to the normal realm and gives up her godliness, aw.
- Plot Tailored to the Party: Done subtlely.
- Platonic Cave: Only Vixen 'sees reality' for what it truly is, the other characters 'can't see' the forest for the trees until the Big Bad arrives and destroys their own perceptions at the very end. Chaos and insanity soon ensures.
- Psychological Horror: And that's just for starters.
- Psychotic Love Triangle
- Role Called
- Rage Against the Author: My characters rage between chapters...
- Near-Rape Experience: Subverted oh so much.
- Recruit Teenagers with Attitude: Deconstructed like most of the tropes on this page. Despite being University students, a fatal combo of bad teamwork, an idiotic plan and a severe lack of experience with The Mafia cost Misako's team a lot.
- Reference Overdosed: Happens.
- Reincarnation: It's a cycle!
- Ret Gone: Larosin in the finale, all thanks to Melkior and Vixen's meddling with the shattered timeline
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: There are hints of this.
- Science Fantasy: The gist of this fanfiction.
- Short Title: Long, Elaborate Subtitle: The full title of this fanfic is Officer Misako: Case of Amoresi
- Shout-Out: To Indiana Jones, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Heroes and the Hulk.
- Reality-Breaking Paradox
- Reset Button Ending: Exactly What It Says on the Tin... Which leads to chapter 21.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Some of the characters 'represent' their respective sin... The Big Bad sees this and wants to recify their whole society, Cue the Reset.
- Sealed Cast in a Multipack: The Reset (thankfully) allows this to happen, causing (almost) everyone to reincarnate.
- Secret Character: Garnet, only seen in the epilogue. She's a clone of Larosin.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Diaglo and Olapen are both this as they are both Only Known by Their Nickname. They shall transform IF you say their respective True Names- aka I Know Your True Name.
- Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate: Type 3
- Snipe Hunt: Pascha sends Devlin and Misako on this to distract from the fact that she's with the mafia earlier on.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Happens in a rather dark fashion...
- Seven Little Murder Victims: Who-dunnit?
- Spear Counterpart: Harlin is essentially a more aggressive, one-tracked mind version of the Lightning Mage. Scary, no?
- Significant Anagram: Larosin is actually a really clever anagram of her former name. This is very significant as Garnet was based on her DNA...
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?: Averted, mostly- they ARE in University in their spare time.
- Strange Bedfellows
- Stable Time Loop: Don't think too hard...
- Sweet Polly Oliver: See Crossdresser
- Tell Me About My Father: Ummm.
- There Are No Therapists: Which then leads to the 'Dysfunction Junction' listed above, of course, the Adults Are Useless.
- The Evil Prince: Harlinique
- The Multiverse: Their world turns out to be a twisted version of this.
- The Tragic Rose
- They Look Like Us Now: The main problem.
- Training from Hell: The sword-dueling classes alone take over five chapters and the energy blade fights... even longer
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Misako and Vixen (they both have short hair, except Vixen acts more girly)
- Trope Riffic: This page itself!
- Unrequited Love: Larosin and Misako
- When It All Began: This is the actual situation that sets out the Reset itself.
- We Can Rule Together: The Big Bad promises this fate to a reincarnated Misako. She almost gives in then therefore takes a third option.
- Will They or Won't They?: They won't.
- You Can't Fight Fate A major theme of the fanfic.
- You'll Have to Believe Us: Frequently alluded to...