Fan Fic / New World
is a Pokémon
Fanfic written by An Enemy Spy
. The plot centers around an eighteen year old trainer named Dust and his adventures. Rather than the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh or Unova regions, New World takes place in an original setting in a time period based loosely around the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries.
The story is somewhat post apocalyptic, though the cataclysm happened far in the past and nobody knows about it.
Interspersed with this narrative is another one following a girl named Espa at some time in the distant past. This part of the story will detail the destruction of the formerly advanced human civilization. Her narrative will tie into Dust's as the story goes on.
Read it here
This story provides examples of:
- After the End
- Agony Beam: Yoko's Psyshock has this effect on a bandit.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: The Baron and his son, Ashton. The Baron rules over his territory with an iron fist and is quick to destroy anyone who challenges him in any way. His son Ashton is more stupidly sadistic, hurting people because there is no authority to keep him in check.
- Averted by Amelia Blackmoor.
- Attempted Rape: Almost happens to Maddie. Then later it really does happen. Many many times.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: The Baron does this while Maddie in his custody. It has nothing to do with sex, he just wants her to look presentable.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Dust is attacked by a giant Ariados.
- Black Box: Pokeballs. Extraordinarily useful devices. They catch wild Pokemon, mentally bond them with their trainer, and will implant information about that Pokemon in the trainer's mind. Nobody has the slightest clue how they work. In fact, nobody even seems to know how to make them.
Nidoman: "I have traveled to many parts of the world, and everywhere I go, the people tell me that the pokeballs come from somewhere else."
- Bubblegloop Swamp: Dust briefly visits a boggy area, and is almost eaten by a Swampert.
- Cliffhanger: Many chapters end on them.
- Darker and Edgier: Pokemon are highly dangerous creatures, and will kill each other if able to instead of just knocking each other out.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ashton savagely attacks Maddie after she slaps him. While he is attempting to rape her. In fact, everything Ashton does counts as this.
- Evil Brit:
- Obviously, Britain doesn't exist in this story, but if his accent is anything to go by, Ashton is an example of this.
- Interesting note: Despite his noble birth, Ashton speaks with a working class accent, perhaps to accentuate his rather unnoble nature. note
- Farm Boy: Dust.
- Giant Spider: Dust falls into a Spinarak nest, and is attacked by a giant Ariados.
- Girl Next Door: Maddie.
- Groin Attack: Dust attempts to have Beedrill do this against an enemy Rhyperior. It didn't work very well.
- Humans Are Bastards: Mewtwo certainly thinks so. Ashton and his father don't do much to prove that notion wrong.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Maddie is subjected all manner of sexual abuse when Ashton takes her a "guest".
- Ludicrous Gibs: What happens to the Scyther that encounters Mewtwo.
- Meaningful Name:
- Ashton, whose first Pokemon is a Pichu.
- Also, the main character is named Dust, although Word of God states that the similarity of his name to Ash's was unintentional.
- Pokemon's names seem to be imprinted codewords in their brains that trigger them to obey their masters. For example, Totodile doesn't follow Dust's commands unless he specifically says "Totodile [do something]"
- Mind-Control Device: Any Pokemon caught in a pokeball is bonded to its trainer and will obey him.
- Mooks: The Blackshirts, although they're actually fairly effective.
- Pokémon Speak: Averted. Lampshaded with Hoothoot.
"Hoothoot!" It went. Whoever had named this Pokémon clearly hadn't felt very creative that day.
- Schizo Tech: The story is set in a psuedo-Edwardian world, and yet people apparently have easy access to the technologically advanced pokeballs.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Mewtwo, until an idiot trainer breaks him out.
- Telepathy: Mewtwo communicates like this.
- The Edwardian Era: The story takes place in a pseudo version of this time period.
- The Load: What Dust originally thinks of Totodile, as it has yet to grow into a competent fighter.
- Tsundere: Amelia Blackmoor.
- We Are as Mayflies:
Mewtwo: Your wondrous civilization is little more than a castle of sand against the relentless tide of the eons. Humans, who measure the passing of time in decades and centuries, thought you were fit to rule over those for whom a hundred millennia is but a single tick on the clock?
- Would Hit a Girl: Ashton, very much so.
- You Got Spunk: Ashton hates a girl with spunk.