Fanfic / New Feelings
is a Steven Universe
fanfic written by Xxawesomenerd37xX
concerning two of the Crystal Gems Pearl
and Garnet falling in love with each other
. It's Exactly What It Says on the Tin
It also has a sequel called One True Family
that focuses on the couple and their friends as a family.
This fanfic uses the tropes:
- All Genes Are Incompletely Dominant: According to Jade, when two Gems have a baby together, the child is a new Gem altogether.
- Attempted Rape: This occurred between Peri and Pearl; the latter managed to fight back and use a Groin Attack on him.
- Big Bad: Peridot (Peri).
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: Peri is killed by his own Cerberus in chapter 13. Come the next chapter...
- Does Not Like Men: Pearl. She's had little to no trust in men ever since Peri tried to rape her; the only exception she's made so far is Steven. She makes another for her son when he's born at the end of the fic.
- Domestic Abuser: Peri was this to Pearl.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Peri goes out this way when Jade sics the Cerberus on him. Then it turns out he's Not Quite Dead.
- Groin Attack: Pearl managed to kick Peri in the nuts after he tried to rape her.
- Has Two Mommies: Starting in chapter 10, Pearl is pregnant with Garnet's child. By the end, they have a little boy they name Jonah. Combined with Homosexual Reproduction.
- Heel–Face Turn: Jade.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Jade decides in chapter 10 that she loves Pearl enough to let her go and be happy with Garnet.
- The Mole: Jade originally plays this role when she is first introduced in chapter 8, having been hired by her brother Peri to kill Garnet. It only lasts for two chapters before she has a change of heart.
- Not Quite Dead: In chapter 12, Jade manages to survive being severely injured at the hands of her brother back in chapter 11, thanks to some sort of healing potion he gives her.
- The last chapter reveals that Peri is still alive after being attacked by the Cerberus.
- Original Character: Peri and his sister Jade.
- Rape as Backstory: Pearl of all people endured this at the hands of her then-boyfriend.
- Romance Ensues
- Schedule Slip: The chapters have been posted further apart than usual due to the author being ill a few times. The last chapter was slightly delayed because the computer was broken.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Pearl is the girly girl and Garnet is the tomboy.
- Wedding Chapter: Chapter 13. It's almost spoiled, though, when Peri crashes the whole thing after the brides have been officially married and he attempts to kill Pearl and her unborn child. Fortunately, Jade's there to stop him once and for all.
The sequel uses the tropes:
- Adult Fear: It's bad enough having your child be abducted from your room while you're asleep, but much worse when his kidnapper happens to be the same guy who almost raped you and tried to murder you during your wedding!
- Bigger Bad: Melanite (Melany) the black-magic Gem witch.
- Blind Seer: Jade's mother Tanzanite is one of the most powerful white-magic Gem witches to exist. She also happens to be completely blind, but she compensates for this by feeling vibrations in the ground and possessing super hearing.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Melany is clearly against the idea of Peri hurting Jonah.
- Handicapped Badass: Fluorite is apparently this, but it winds up being more of an Informed Attribute in the long run.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Fluorite.
- Karmic Transformation: Melany transforms into a monster, shortly before she retreats into her gem against her will and is bubbled off for eternity with no say in the matter.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler/Walking Spoiler: Jonah and Peri, especially if you didn't read New Feelings beforehand.
- Specifically, Peri spoils the ending of the first fic where he's killed and then brought back to life, while Jonah's entire existence is a huge spoiler for the first fic, too.
- Mad Love: Melany is hopelessly in love with Peri and constantly puts up with his short-fuse temper and violence; meanwhile, he doesn't seem to give a damn about her beyond trying to keep our heroes from saving Jonah. It probably doesn't help that she was the one who brought him back to life.
- Off with His Head!: Peri winds up dying like this.
- Psychic Children: Jonah has the ability to read people's minds, specifically his momma Garnet's, and communicate with telepathy. He also expresses psychokinesis as demonstrated in Chapter 6 when he forces his abductor to the ground with willpower alone.
- Sacrificial Lion: Poor Jade becomes this in chapter 9. She gets better, though.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Fluorite offers to sacrifice herself in order to save Garnet, resurrect Jade, and cure her sister of her blindness.