is a Steven Universe
fanfic written by Xxawesomenerd37xX
concerning two of the Crystal Gems Pearl
and Garnet falling in love with each other
. It's Exactly What It Says on the Tin
It also has a sequel called One True Family
that focuses on the couple and their friends as a family.
This fanfic uses the tropes:
- All Genes Are Incompletely Dominant: According to Jade, when two Gems have a baby together, the child is a new Gem altogether with its gem's hue being a mixture of the parents' gem colors.
- Big Bad: Peridot (Peri).
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: Peri is killed by his own Cerberus in chapter 13. Come the next chapter...
- Domestic Abuser: Peri was this to Pearl.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Peri goes out this way when Jade sics the Cerberus on him. Then it turns out he's Not Quite Dead.
- Has Two Mommies: Starting in chapter 10, Pearl is pregnant with Garnet's child. By the end, they have a little boy they name Jonah. Combined with Homosexual Reproduction.
- Heel-Face Turn: Jade.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Jade decides in chapter 10 that she loves Pearl enough to let her go and be happy with Garnet.
- The Mole: Jade originally plays this role when she is first introduced in chapter 8, having been hired by her brother Peri to kill Garnet. It only lasts for two chapters before she has a change of heart.
- Not Quite Dead: In chapter 12, Jade manages to survive being severely injured at the hands of her brother back in chapter 11, thanks to some sort of healing potion he gives her.
- The last chapter reveals that Peri is still alive after being attacked by the Cerberus.
- Original Character: Peri and his sister Jade.
- Romance Ensues
- Schedule Slip: The chapters have been posted further apart than usual due to the author being ill a few times. The last chapter was slightly delayed because the computer was broken.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Pearl is the girly girl and Garnet is the tomboy.
- Wedding Chapter: Chapter 13. It's almost spoiled, though, when Peri crashes the whole thing after the brides have been officially married and he attempts to kill Pearl and her unborn child. Fortunately, Jade's there to stop him once and for all.
The sequel uses the tropes:
- Bigger Bad: Melanite (Melany) the black-magic Gem witch.
- Handicapped Badass: Jade's mother Tanzanite is one of the most powerful white-magic Gem witches to exist. She also happens to be completely blind ( that is, until Fluorite sacrifices herself to save Garnet, resurrect Jade, and cure her sister).
- Heroic Sacrifice: Fluorite.
- Karmic Transformation: Melany transforms into a monster, shortly before she retreats into her gem against her will and is bubbled off for eternity with no say in the matter.
- Mad Love: Melany is hopelessly in love with Peri and constantly puts up with his short-fuse temper and violence; meanwhile, he doesn't seem to give a damn about her beyond trying to keep our heroes from saving Jonah. It probably doesn't help that she was the one who brought him back to life.
- Off with His Head!: Peri winds up dying like this.
- Psychic Children: Jonah has the ability to read people's minds, specifically his momma Garnet's, and communicate with telepathy.
- Sacrificial Lion: Poor Jade becomes this in chapter 9. She gets better, though.