Fanfic / New California Dreaming
New California Dreaming
by Hotpoint (Also available on FF.Net
) is a Fallout
fanfic. Although it takes place in the Capital Wasteland
, it incorporates many elements from the other games, mainly Fallout 2
and later on re-edited to include information from Fallout: New Vegas
The New California Republic has not heard of anything about the East Coast Brotherhood of Steel for too long. Ranger Scout-Sergeant Cassidy Nagor Coyle is sent on a recon mission to check out what's going on.
This fanfic contains examples of the following:
- Animal Motifs: Discussed. The symbol of the NCR is a bear. Coyle claims many of the tribals he fought called the NCR "the Bear people", and claimed the NCR's success in war came from having the powerful bear as their totem.
- Badass: Coyle is a Ranger formerly from 1st Recon, he has to be.
- Been There, Shaped History: Coyle visits a lot of places that the Lone Wanderer would eventually go to and is responsible for some of the events.
- Brick Joke: Combined with Call Forward. In canon the Galaxy News Radio aerial was shot off by a Super Mutant. Early on here, Coyle thinks about shooting it off and making people believe a Super Mutant did it. When he reaches the Mall proper, he delivers on the promise.
- Blasting It out of Their Hands: Subverted. When Coyle catches some buckshot with his left hand, it leaves him temporarily unable to use that hand for gunfighting.
- Exact Words:
‘You know he didn't say anything about not deliberately shooting him’ Dreamer pointed out, finding a place to lie down where she could put down fire with her R91.
‘I think that was meant to be implicit’ Hoff told her, leading the brahmin away from the possible field of fire.
- Fan Disservice: Coyle has an unpleasant memory of Ghoul lesbian porn films and Super Mutant lap dancers.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Coyle's response to an awful Super Mutant joke is to open fire.
- Genius Ditz: Moira Brown, just like in canon. In particular, she explains why the .32 Revolver sucks so much.
- Groin Attack: Discussed. ‘And for what it’s worth aiming the barrel on that thing low, like you’re planning the messiest piece of gender-realignment surgery in history, will make for a very effective threat if you need one of the fuckers to back-off’
- Guns Akimbo: Coyle favours a .44 Desert Eagle and a MP9.
- Made of Iron: A Super Mutant Overlord can take a gauss round between the eyes and keep on trucking, as Coyle learns painfully. For context, he brought the Gauss Rifle specifically to deal with Brotherhood of Steel Powered Armor.
- Magnetic Weapons: Coyle brought a M72 Gauss Rifle (not to be confused with the Chinese Gauss Rifle) with him to take down BOS Powered Armor.
- One Riot, One Ranger: Played with. While Coyle is a real badass, he's only supposed to be doing recon, not tearing down strongholds singlehandedly.
- Shown Their Work: As with most of his stories, Hotpoint has author's notes after every chapter explaining exactly where in the original works every character, plot-twist and gadget in the chapter was pulled from and how the new ideas make sense in context.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: At one point Coyle forces Dreamer to take on two radscorpions as part of live fire training.
- Taking You with Me: Agatha's method for deterring raiders is a mininuke. She doesn't have a launcher for it, but figures that threatening to "Hit the damn thing with a hammer" would do the trick.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough?: Coyle is offered a quest by Moira Brown, but is less than willing to horribly mutilate himself. A few weeks later, some sucker from Vault 101 takes the job...