"National Anthem" and its sister series of side-stories, "A Gathering of Sacrifices" is a fan fiction universe by Shadsie. 
It is a hybrid between the Video Game Super Smash Brothers
and the Literature
series The Hunger Games
. This page will cover tropes present in both the main fan fiction and the side stories.
Though a crossover fan fiction, the story is centered on Super Smash Brothers
in an alternate timeline. It borrows themes and situations from The Hunger Games
, but does not directly follow the books' storyline, going its own way at several points. The story's main character-focus is upon Adult Link from Smash Brothers Melee' and Toon Link from Brawl. The purpose of the side-stories is mainly to give some limelight to the supporting cast.Summary
: The Super Smash Brothers annual tournament used to be a fun affair - combat without murder or lasting pain in which warriors from many worlds could test their skills, gaining friendships and glory. It was also wonderfully silly. That was before Ganondorf took over.
Sometime after the Melee' Tournament and before the upcomming Brawl, Ganondorf used unknown sorceries to seize control and rule the nation of Ninten. He turned the tournaments into cruel games of survival filled with death in which only one chosen fighter comes out alive.
Link Kokirin, the once Hero of Time, is a haunted veteran of the first "Brawl of Honor." This year, he finds himself the mentor of his young successor, an innocent boy from New Hyrule. How can he teach an idealistic young Hero how to give up his life - or his soul?
An illustrated version of the first story as well as the plain-text side story series can be found here 
Additionally, they are available here 
and here 
If all else fails, the first story is on Deviant Art with title cards their system over-shrunk 
The crossover fan fic National Anthem and its side stories contain examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Young Link kills Adult Link with a well-shot arrow in the first of the Brawls of Honor, mistaking him for an invader into their camp.
- The Alcoholic: Link, aka "Toki."
- Apocalypse How: Class X-4. The ability that Ganondorf has gained to send any given universe into oblivion is what motivates Nintendo's worlds to obey him and to sacrifice their people to his Brawls.
- Broken Angel: See below and take a guess...
- Clip Its Wings: There are three winged fighters that enter the Brawl the plot of the main fic principally follows. This happens to one of them.
- Crossover: More of a concept-crossover than a straight one.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Sheik stumbles into a flock of muttation-cuccoos. The poor, unnamed characters (one of whom is hinted to have been one of the Ice Climbers) that Kirby "ate and digested" in his Brawl may count, as well.
- Cruel to Be Kind: This is Twilight Link's attitude toward killing in the deadly Brawl. In addition to his role in the resistance requiring him to win, he wants to keep more innocent fighters from living with blood on their hands. He will take the memories and the guilt that comes with them.
- Cynical Mentor: The Hero of Time has fallen far from his roots. He starts getting better.
- Dark Fic: Something definitely has gone wrong in the happy go lucky world of Nintendo...
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: A few characters have done this in the history of the Brawls.
- Dwindling Party: As to be expected of a Hunger Games style story.
- Expy: A few of Nintendo's characters serve functions similar to certain Hunger Games characters. Link "Toki" = Haymitch, Peach = Effie Trinket, Pit has shades of both Rue and Katniss, Toon Link volunteers to save his sister, like Katniss, and Pikachu's portrayal was inspired by Beetee.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Toon Link and Pit (of the "largely indifferent at first" variety).
- Go Out with a Smile: Pit invokes this in an attempt to help Toon Link feel better about his victory.
- La Résistance
- Mercy Kill: Discussed and preformed.
- National Anthem: The story gleans its title from the Super Smash Brothers Brawl theme being made into a bitterly-ironic national anthem for the "nation" of disparate universes and worlds under Ganondorf's magical iron fist.
- The Nicknamer: The ex-Hero of Time prefers to be called "Toki." he calls Toon Link "Tiny" and "Little Link." He not-so-affectionately refers to Peach as "Miss Peachy-Keen" as well as some curses untranslatable from Old Hylian.
- Obfuscating Stupidity / Sapient All Along: Pikachu.
- Pokémon Speak: Pikachu's language, which a few of the characters (notably Toki) figure out.
- President Evil: Ganondorf.
- Shout-Out: A few.
- To food-jokes in The Simpsons in Chapter 5 of the main fic and Chapter 1 of the side-stories.
- In Chapters 1 and 2 of the side-stories, Peach accidentally calls Pit ("Mr. Icarus") "Mr. Ikari" and makes a reference to other fighters watching Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- Chapter 4 of the side-stories is meant to reference The Secretof NIMH in both title and theme, only... with Pikachu.
- Tragic Keepsake: Pit's crown for Toon Link. Adult Link's version of the Master Sword may also count, if seen from a certain perspective.
- Wham Episode: What Chapter 5 of the main fic was meant to be.