Fan Fic / My Photonic Friend
My Photonic Friend
is a Hannah Montana
/ Star Trek: Voyager crossover fanfic
written by James Doyle
, posted on FanFiction.Net
The story is based upon the third-season Voyager
episode "Future's End". In this story, it is revealed that sometime during the events of said episode, a copy was made of The Doctor's program and sent off to a secret Chronowerx lab in the Mojave Desert. After Henry Starling's death, the company folded, and portions of the company's assets were purchased by Rico's father's company.
Some years later, Robbie Ray Stewart arranges to purchase some of this surplus equipment from Rico, and enlist his assistance in creating a holographic double for Hannah Montana to help Miley cope with the numerous and time-consuming publicity appearances Hannah is required to make.
During the initial testing of the equipment, the Doctor's program reactivates. The Doctor takes the Stewarts and Rico into his confidence, and together they work toward finding a way of getting him back to the twenty-fourth century. In the midst of this arrangement, another problem arises: The Doctor's presence brings back memories of Lilly's secret past that could place her and the Stewarts in danger.WARNING: The trope index contains unmasked spoilers
My Photonic Friend provides examples of
- Badass Bookworm - Special Agent Timothy McGee, NCIS
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass - Lilly's rescue mission is Jackson's time to shine.
- Half-Human Hybrid - Lilly's actually 5/8 human, but has a mixed pedigree, including Bajoran and Cardassian.
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder
- The Doctor, after being conscripted to work at Rico's:
Doctor: This is humiliating. I'm a doctor, not a short-order chef.
- Robbie Ray when the gang is trying to plan a rescue mission for Lilly:
Robbie Ray: Dang flabbit! I'm a country-boy, not a commando!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Even though Rico's willing to cajole the Doctor into working at the shack and price-gouge the Stewarts when he discovers the real value of what he's selling, he really does want to help the Doctor, and reverts to the original agreement when he realizes the Doctor is a person and thus not for sale.
- Kudzu Plot - Adapting Lilly's backstory, not to mention explaining away some of Fridge Logic plot items in the source material, involved a bit of a song-and-dance.
- My Own Private "I Do" - Wanting to tie the knot before anything else happens, and to include the Doctor before sending him back to the future, Jackson and Lilly opt for a modest ceremony at a Nevada wedding chapel.
- My Sensors Indicate You Want to Tap That - Jackson's hidden feelings for Lilly are first discovered when the Doctor reads his physiological reaction to her.
- Older Than They Look - Lt. Cmdr. Lazura was thirty-nine when she transported through an unstable temporal core, regressing her to the physiological age of two, at which point she became Lilly Truscott and aged to the physiological and social age of eighteen, making her fifty-five (incorrectly calculated as fifty-seven) as of the story.
- Pimped-Out Dress - Averted. Lilly opts for a Starfleet dress uniform.
- Projected Man - Voyager's own Doctor.
- Schizo Tech - Justified: The gang has to employ whatever 21st-century technology they can get their hands on to keep the Doctor's program running.
- "Shut Up" Kiss - How Lilly makes it clear to Jackson that he's won her heart and can stop rambling like an idiot.