Fan Fic: Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers
"The fate of our world hinges on those six men... God help us all."Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers!
— Optimus Prime
is a fanfic written by Thaeonblade
. It is a Mega Crossover
, featuring characters from various franchises, including Neon Genesis Evangelion
, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
, The Big O
, Zoids: New Century
, Vision of Escaflowne
and many others
The story takes place in Angel Groove
which is administred by Seto Kaiba
and he entrusted Simon the Digger
, Roger Smith
, Bit Cloud
, Van of Fanelia
, and Shinji Ikari
as the protectors of the city, by blackmailing them into the job. Without means to refuse, they join forces to defend the city, which seems to have more than eyes meet
The story has twenty-nine chapters so far and also a spin-off, the Parallel Works
, which details the backstory of the plot and many characters. It is drawing to the end of what the author has dubbed "The first season."
Character Sheet in the works: 
Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers! contains the following tropes:
- Ascended Extra: Several minor characters have larger roles than in their source anime with Hikari Horaki as the most obvious example.
- Adaptational Badass: The main team, Kaiba himself and even much of the side cast show shades of this.
- Some villains count as well: Asuka is basically The Dragon to Lelouch alongside Zero (implied to be Suzaku).
- Lelouch himself later mind rapes Reedman
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The new Jet-Alone.
- Alternate History: As detailed in Parallel Works #5, the main differences start during the American War of Independence (also name Washington Rebellion as a continuity nod to Code Geass) Benedict Arnold (and Benjamin Franklin) remain loyal to the independence movement and the slaves are freed to fight against the British, and the United States earns their independence with much more favorable terms. And Britannia emerges after a coalition of European countries defeated Napoleon.
- Minor in the grand scheme of things, but Nia joined the Dai-Gurren Brigade without Kamina dying.
- The Autobots and Decepticons awakened Adam and may have accidentally caused Second Impact. (Albeit Megatron was the one who accidentally awakened Adam.)
- And I Must Scream: Deathwing is angry because he was caught in the Second Impact and trapped inside the Earth, while being forced to hear Barney's theme song during his confinement.
- When he almost died, Shinji was briefly forced to listen to the city and the other rangers fall to the Zilla Pack
- Badass: Take your pick.
- Badass Boast: Most of the main cast have given at least one, but Kaiba surprisingly has had plenty for himself and his ego especially his latest boast to Enoch
- Barrier Warrior: Shinji in Unit 01.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Pick a member from the team, really pick one.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: So far we have Gendo Ikari, Lord Genome, Kaworu, the Decepticons, and possibly that thing in Kaiba's basement.
- With the recent Parallel Works perhaps we should add Makarov?
- While we're at it, let's add Gato, General Shepard and Enoch and we have ourselves a party!
- Big Brother Mentor: Who else besides the mighty Kamina?
- Big Damn Heroes: Kamina and Gurren in the battle against Deathwing and Heero Yuy in the battle against the zord.
- Black and White Morality: The Mecha Rangers and the Angel Groove Defense Force have to go up against various enemies that would most likely destroy the town For the Evulz...
- Bowdlerise: In-universe, the story that Dorothy tells to her daughter about how robots gained sapience is modified to be kid-friendly.
- Butt Monkey: Shinji
- Upon arriving in Angel Groove, Misato takes his place.
- Kittan and Rossiu for the Dai-Gurren Brigade
- Euphemia for all of Britannia
- Co-Dragons: Asuka and Suzaku/Zero appear to be this to Lelouch.
- The Cameo:Harry Dresden, Monkey D Luffy, Detective Conan, and various others get mentioned.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Shinji gives Deathwing a good bit of this that wouldn't be out of place in his own series.
- Combining Mecha: All of the main mecha combine into the MechaLord and it keeps combining with Gurren and Kaiba's Blue Eyes White Dragon jet.
- Is anyone really surprised that a fic with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and other japanese mechs based on Power Rangers has combining mecha?
- Crapsack World: To put it lightly.
- Creepy Child: The Black and White little boy that torments Shinji from chapter 7 through to chapter 10. He comes back when Shinji nearly dies in chapter 22
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The entire second-half of the Deathwing crisis (which eventually culminates with MechaBreakerLordtearing the Dragon's humanoid form apart...AFTER HE BARELY SURVIVES A GIGA DRILL BREAKER!)
- ( Blackout vs Eva Unit 03 and an entire US army base armed with tanks and mobile suits, guess who wins?)
- Britannia-backed Germany (lead by the Baroness and Dilandau) against Luxembourg. Then they discover that Luxembourg has a Planet Buster. It doesn't work.
- Lagann and the Homodrone 01 versus two Jet Alone robots...really guess!
- Decepticon Blackjack vs Autobot? Ultranus
- What does Yugi do when he first meets Spacegodzilla? Mindcrush it of course!
- Thus far, the Regis MK. 5 versus everything that he fights other than a colony of ants
- Deconstruction Crossover
- Deconstructive Parody
- Despair Event Horizon: Shinji managed to stay next to it two times, but never passed it.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first five chapters of the story are very different in tone and writing style when compared to the rest of the story. This especially noteworthy in Chapters 1 through 3 that have more emphasis on comedy than action.
- The Empire: Britannia
- Epic Fail: Mecha Lord's initial deployment against Ramiel
- Even Evil Has Standards: Neither Kaiba brother approves of how Shinji is treated by his father or Misato for that matter
- The Federation: The Earth Federation exists, though it tries to avoid issues between countries.
- Gambit Pileup: Kaiba has a plan, Gendo has a plan, Lordgenome has a plan, Lelouch has a plan, Zechs has a plan...
- Gorn: Not that much, but the violence is notably a bit more graphic when Shinji's the one doing it.
- Government Conspiracy: What the underground mines seems to be.
- The Federation is secretly gathering a fleet near the moon with a large possibility of an attack on Angel Groove.
- Groin Attack: Shinji uses the horn of Unit-01 to strike the crotch of Cloverfield. His teammates then get horrified for this, though it was the only way he could see to destroy the creature.
- Hand Wave: Some minor issues such as how the pilots all end up in the same cockpit sometimes is told off with awesomeness or nobody even cares enough to ask.
- Hidden Depths: Kaiba initially seems like his abridged self, but gradually turns out to be as much a Chess Master as his canon self.
- Hot Springs Episode: At the end of Chapter 27.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Thrown in as a joke between Van and Bit; Simon and Shinji; Yugi and Kaiba ;Lelouch and Shinji
- Ironic Echo: During the battle with Deathwing, Shinji basically throws his "The Reason You Suck" Speech back in his face.
- I Was Told There Would Be Cake: How Kaiba tricked Simon into joining. Simon claims that in the underground village he's from, people will die for a cookie.
- Jerkass: Kaiba is the most obvious example, but there are a few others.
- Kick the Dog: Plenty on all areas of the alignment chart.
- Kaiba loves to tick off the rangers, defense force and Mokuba.
- Rossiu is the favorite punching bag for Simon and Kamina.
- Shinji against almost every monster that the ranger have fought and even punches out a reporter...given that she was asking for it.
- Emperor Charles to everyone that he views as inferior. So this means everyone including his own knights and children.
- Kirk Summation: Aina to Misato shortly after the latter lays a Motive Rant on Hikari, showing WHY Misato's justifications simply are NOT enough to cover what Shinji's gone through because of Gendo. Misato appears seemingly unfazed, but the author has indicated the may be further ramifications of the incident to come.
- Large Ham: Lots, due to the nature of the fic, but Deathwing excels everyone.
- In the battle against Cyclopisis, everyone, even more stoic characters like Roger and Heero turns into hammy hotbloodeds.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Consider this the subtitle of Chapter 22. Shinji, Hitomi, Bit and Yugi are all shining examples as to why.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: This is a Mega Crossover after all.
- Ludicrous Gibs: The aftermath of the battle against Cloverfield.
- Make My Monster Grow: Used to either summon and/or strengthen the Monster of the Week.
- Mexican Standoff: An eight-way example in chapter 19.
- Mind Screw: Getting inside Shinji's head in later chapters.
- Monster of the Week: So far we've had Ramiel, Clover, Deathwing, Cyclopsis, once (while Shinji was unable to fight), the other four Rangers had to fight a separate enemy on their own, Kenzo the Train Horse, Brittle Bullet, Jet Alone, and a pack of nuclear dinosaur hybrids cloned from Godzilla and the Sharptooth
- Mood Whiplash: For one moment we have antics that can rival any abridged series, silly comments and so. And another, it's reminded that is a Crapsack World, guarded by a Well-Intentioned Extremist, people dying like animals almost parelling a Cosmic Horror Story.
- Motive Rant: Misato to Hikari, about what and why Nerv is necessary and allowed, to justify what happened to Shinji. However, see Shut Up, Hannibal! below.
- Ms. Fanservice: Yoko and occasionally one of the other females. Like Euphemia
- Nebulous Evil Organization: SEELE
- The Needs of the Many: Misato's defense of Nerv. No one buys it.
- Roger, Van, Bit, Heero, Aina, the entire Defense Force, Rossiu, the Dai-Gurren Brigade, Noriko and even Kaiba all take turns destroying Misato's attempts to use this logic to put Shinji at fault for not going back to Nerv.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Deathwing deals one to Shinji in Eva after he defeats Mecha Lord.
- Deathwing's beatdown extended to each and every member of the team. But Shinji got a second far-worst one for throwing a knife in his eye and Deathwing didn't take it well at all.
- After Kamina joins the fight, Mecha Lord returns the favor to Deathwing by pulling the dragon in half.
- Cyclopsis deals three different beatdowns to the rangers before they manage to beat him. Including breaking a Giga Drill Breaker and throwing the pieces back into Gurren Lagann; Using debris from the battle to overcome the newly upgraded Unit 01; Stabbing Escaflowne with it's own sword; Telepathically bludgeoning Liger over and over again; and beating Big O so badly that parts of it's armor was destroyed and limbs didn't work correctly.
- Berserk Eva vs Zilla Rex
- Oracular Head: (Optimus Prime) The big question is how he got there.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The Rangers fight them mostly one at a time, here are the most notable:
- The Kraken from Clash of the Titans who ends up flooding a good chunk of the city by EMERGING FROM THE GROUND.
- The most recent was actually a dragon, Deathwing destroyed part of the Europe during his descent and walk to Angel Groove.
- As a result of upgrades or gained powers from their many adversaries, each ranger is now an embodiment of destruction.
- Pet the Dog: Kaiba's entire relationship with the Dai-Gurren Brigade and other escapees from the underground mines.
- Redshirt Army: Kaiba bought his own defense force and they usually get their asses handed to them. But considering that they're volunteers...
- They're slowly becoming a Badass Army, though, as their supporting roles in relation to the Rangers increase.
- Robotic Spouse: Dorothy. She even has a daughter.
- Shout-Out: Lots and lots!
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Gordon Ramsay (yes, that Gordon Ramsay) believes this.
- Sociopathic Hero: Shinji has tendencies to be one, even scaring his teammates.
- Take That: Kaiba smashes copies of The Never Ending Story 3 to vent his anger.
- During the battle with Ramiel, he destroys a bunker of 4Kids' executives.
- The Team: The Rangers:
- The Atoner: Heero Yuy is this or a Defector from Decadence considering he used to work for Zakhaev and Makarov.
- Euphemia for her "Kill the Japanese" episode even though...
- Took a Level in Badass: Shinji takes several under guidance from the other rangers and Kamina. In fact, it would be easier to list the number of people who haven't taken at least one level in badass in this story.
- The Defense Force takes a level in the fight against Cyclopsis.
- Nia, Leena, Hikari and Hitomi all took classes in badass and passed with flying colors.
- Who can forget Kaiba himself?
- Lelouch effortlessly wards off an attack from an enraged Hikari and is shown to be much more physically and martially threatening though he's more threatening intellectually.
- Town with a Dark Secret: There should be a reason why those things keep attacking Angel Groove, right?
- It's not the town that has a dark secret, but the entire area
- Villain Team-Up: The bad guys from each series join forces against the Mecha Rangers.
- Virgin Sacrifice: Some cultists tried to sacrifice Nia to the Kraken, apparently was Rossiu's idea. It didn't please Simon.
- Waris Hell: As the Defense Force is comprised of veterans from the Universal Wars or otherwise, they all share stories and accounts that have this trope as the common message.
- What the Hell, Hero??: Misato's reaction to Shinji's adamant refusal to rejoin Nerv. No one in Angel Groove holds it against him.
- Zeerust: The plot takes place in 2015 and there is already colonization of the Earth's orbit but the culture seems to be early 2000.
- Possibly due to the damage from Second Impact and all of the conflict from the Universal Wars