What a horrible night to be lurking around.
Once upon a time Haruno Sakura was recruited as a spy. What follows is a tale of her struggles under all the difficulties this entails. Most would be crushed under the pressure, the never-ending questions (do they know, do they suspect?) and the constant prodding, demands for more information. Instead of melting down, Sakura rises to the occasion, heroically... somewhat.
Sakura's story follows her repeated attempts to circumvent her Cursed Seal, recover information without arousing suspicion, and survive both the rigors of ordinary ninja life while simultaneously evading discovery.Loyalty
by A True Radical Dreamer
is remarkable for both exceptional pacing and general quality, and a realistic portrayal of espionage- such as it is in a world like Naruto.
This fic comes highly reccomended.
Provides Examples Of:
- Anyone Can Die
- Becoming the Mask: Sakura notes her own corruption, it worries her at first. Then she gets over it.
- Brutal Honesty: Sakura, in the face of the Kazekage and his council, points out how their village is dying and the caravan her village was hired to protect chose ninja from a place other than their village because no one trusts them. The Kazekage acknowledges the point calmly and it serves to secure his alliance to the plans to invade Konoha, just as Orochimaru planned.
- Cloak & Dagger: Fun times!
- Darker and Edgier: And how!
- Deepcover Agent: Sakura. Also Kabuto.
- Determinator: Sakura at the climax of the Desert Arc- Holy Shit!
- Dishing Out Dirt: Sakura gets a major power upgrade- and several earth jutsu -due to some serious motivation via Kabuto and knowing Naruto is the Kyuubi container.
- Death by Disfigurement: Poor Hinata has her eyes scooped out by a Rain-nin and left to die.
- Dirty Business: The aftermath of the fire pit traps Sakura uses against the bandits in the Desert Arc is all about this. Sasuke is notably disturbed by Sakura's actions.
- Do You Trust Me?: Sakura asks Hinata this while the latter hesitates with giving Sakura the exploding tags she needs while bandits attack their caravan in the Desert Arc. She does.
- Driven to Suicide / Dying as Yourself: A major theme spanning the first two arcs. Subverted, played straight, and then double-subverted by Sakura. She attempts both, then fails, as she lacked the willpower to go through with it. Then when she confronts Hinata's murderer it is played very straight and subverted, because Orochimaru still has use for her...
- Eye Scream: What the Rain-nin does to Hinata. While she is alive, no less, though it happens offscreen.
- Guile Hero: Sakura.
- Human Resources / Organ Theft: Sakura needs an organ transplant after the Rain-nin stabs her in the liver before she kills him. She got it from a perfectly healthy nurse after the doctor knocked her out and she was probably killed afterwards.
- I Did What I Had to Do: After feeling guilty about it for a while, Sakura eventually acknowledges this after having killed dozens of bandits with her fire pit traps. If she hadn't done it, the bandits would've killed more people. Kakashi points it out to her as well.
- The Mole: Sakura, unwillingly, for Oto, and specifically Kabuto until she gets bumped up to being a part of Orochimaru's plans. From the other side of the fence we have Danzo
- Properly Paranoid: Sakura.
- The Spymaster: Kabuto, also Orochimaru, a little higher up the food chain.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After traversing the desert for days in hopes of saving Hinata, Sakura arrived too late and proceeded to not only chase but kill the Rain-nin who took her eyes, even if it left her near death.
- Shoe Phone: Sakura gets her missions via a disguised journal sealed inside an (apparently) blank scroll.
- Teen Super Spy: Deconstructed and played straight.
- Talking through Technique: An interesting case, musical notation is used as code.
- War Is Hell: Kakashi tells a guilt-ridden Sakura all about this after she killed the attacking bandits with her improvised fire pit traps in the Desert Arc.
- Wham Episode: The Desert Arc. Full stop.
- You Are Too Late: Sakura thought she made it in time...
- You Can Barely Stand: The end of the Desert Arc.