Fan Fic / Light Of The Fireflies Trilogy
Light of the Fireflies is a trilogy of Grave ofThe Fireflies
stories written by Haruko123
The trilogy begins in June of 1945, not long after Seita and Setsuko leave their aunt's house. When an air raid destroys a portion of the city of Nishinomiya, a fourteen year old girl named Yuki is separated from her family, and flees to the bomb shelter where the siblings have made their home. After getting over his initial distrust, Seita allows Yuki to stay with them until she finds her family, and soon, the three of them find themselves depending on each other for survival in a time when food is scarce and when air raids are becoming an increasingly common occurrence. Yet despite everything, Yuki clings to the hope of seeing her family alive, and Seita and Setsuko dream of the day their father will come home. But what will happen to them if these hopes and dreams turn out to be impossible?
However, the end of the war is only the beginning, and the series takes on a more slower, slice of life pace as it continues to follow Seita, Setsuko and Yuki as they grow into adolescence, and finally into adults. They are still haunted by their memories of the war, and continue to face hardships, but with each other's help and encouragement, they are able to press forward, with bright hopes for the future.Light of the Fireflies Part 1: SurvivalLight of the Fireflies Part 2: LoveLight of the Fireflies Part 3: Endurance
The trilogy is now complete and all three stories add up to 118 chapters.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Berserk Button: Hurting anyone that Seita considers to be his family will put him in a rage. This also holds true for Yuki to an extent.
- Big Brother Instinct: Seita will go to great lengths to protect Setsuko.
- Cheerful Child: Setsuko. Despite having to live during rough times, she's still able to smile and be optimistic. Having an older brother like Seita who does his best to cheer her up certainly helps.
- Cool Big Sis: Yuki becomes like this to Setsuko, as well as being the Team Mom. Seita himself is a Cool Big Bro.
- Ill Girl: Setsuko in Part 1: Survival, as she weakens from malnutrition. Unlike in the film, she gets better.
- Parental Abandonment: As in the original film, Seita and Setsuko's mother died of her injuries from an air raid, and Seita eventually learns of their father's death. Yuki's father died fighting in the war, and she is separated from her mother and sisters during a separate air raid. She never sees them again, and they are heavily implied to have died in the raid.
- Parental Substitute: Seita, Setsuko, and Yuki end up in the care of a kind elderly woman named Tanaka Teruko.
- Scenery Gorn: The aftermath of the various air raids leave piles of ruins, and several blackened, decaying corpses.
- Sole Survivor: Thanks to an air raid and a naval battle, Tanaka Teruko (known as "Obaa-chan") is the only surviving member of her family. Yuki is also the only one in her family to live through the war.
- War Is Hell: Losing one's home and family, being permanently injured in an air strike, and struggling to find food every day when one is starving is not a pleasant experience to say the least.