Our hero. Celestia help us all.
Canterlot has fallen.
Lord Ironshod staged his coup d'etat, and it succeeded perfectly. Celestia and Luna are trapped and contained, the Elements of Harmony captured shortly afterwards. His army of animated armors patrol the streets, capturing and punishing any resistance. His magic chains retrict and drain the magic from anyone unfortunate enough to be captured. Equestria's last hope lies on one hero...
Well, "hero" might not be the best term. There's only Blueblood
. Blueblood isn't a soldier, nor a mage, nor a diplomat, nor anyone you would count on to save a country. Blueblood doesn't care. Ironshod has the audacity to attack the rightful god
of Equestria, and Blueblood would rather die than see Ironshod sit another moment on the Solar Throne. Out of options, the prince of Equestria takes drastic (and dangerous) action...
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
by Rune Soldier Dan is a oneshot aimed at presenting an alternate take of Blueblood. He may be an Upper-Class Twit
, but why
? Compelling narrative and a unique unfolding make this story a great read, regardless of one's stance on Blueblood. The story can be found on Fimfiction.Net here
This Fanfic contains examples of:
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: In-Universe - All of Equestria holds a higher opinion of Blueblood after his Heroic Sacrifice. Even Rarity wrote him a kind letter despite despising him the most.
- Anti-Magic: The mystical chains that Ironshod conjures, able to drain magic from ponies, up to and including Princess Celestia herself.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- Blueblood challenges Lord Ironshod to a duel, pitting a layabout noble with little experience in dueling against the pony who just defeated Celestia, Luna, and the elements of harmony. Blueblood knows he doesn't stand a chance. He's right, as Ironshod toys with Blueblood before effortlessly impaling him. unfortunately for Ironshod, the last failed strike by Blueblood wasn't a miss at all.
- Once Celestia is freed, she vaporizes Ironshod on the spot.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit:
- Exactly What I Aimed At: Ironshod effortlessly dodges Blueblood's final sword toss... which severs the chains holding Celestia down, allowing her to curb stomp Ironshod as he's distracted.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Blueblood, though he potentially survives.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Blueblood, although he considers himself a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk.
- Mecha-Mooks: Lord Ironshod conjured an army of Animated Armor mooks, which allowed him to drive Canterlot to its knees. Blueblood doesn't actually get to fight any of them; he boldly challenges Ironshod to a duel, which the tyrant elects to honor.
- Multiple Endings: The story branches into two mutually-exclusive epilogues.
- Ending One has Blueblood die from his injuries, and shows Celestia and Luna mournfully reflecting on his death and discussing their memorial for his sacrifice.
- Ending Two has Blueblood slowly recovering from his injuries and having a heart-to-heart with Celestia, Blueblood insisting he's ultimately insignificant while Celestia tells him You Are Better Than You Think You Are.
- The Power of Legacy: In Ending One, Luna remarks that their memorial for Blueblood depicts him and Ironshod performing a Mutual Kill on the other, when in actuality it was Ironshod stabbing the prince and Blueblood freeing Celestia, whow as the one to actually kill the tyrant. Celestia admits it's embellished, but considers it the best way to honor him.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Blueblood has a low opinion of himself, and similar opinions on other ponies, for that matter. He considers everyone insignificant compared to the Princesses.
- Stop Worshipping Me: Princess Celestia, in contrast to Blueblood's idea of her. She nearly has to beat this idea into Blueblood.
- Physical God: Possibly Celestia. Blueblood believes she definitely qualifies, Celestia wants people to Stop Worshipping Me, and she both manages to be defeated rather easily and then atomizes Ironshod once she's freed.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Lord Greyshod pulls a coup with his animatronic armors and magic-draining chains, becoming Lord Ironshod, ruler of Equestria. It ends within the same day.
- We Are as Mayflies: Blueblood holds this mentality, especially compared to the Princesses, whom he views as perfection.