Fanfic: Ghost In The Evangelion
Well, once upon a time, there was a series with Humongous Mecha, overblown Freudian imagery, and a Mind Screw ending. And another one with less robots, but even more Mind Screw. And a final one, with some Mini-Mecha, and quite a bit of Viewers Are Geniuses.And, so, as a result, The Ghost of Evangelion is a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Serial Experiments Lain/Ghost in the Shell Crossover, by Latw PIAT.She likes Technology Porn and Gun Porn. A lot.
See Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, and Ghost in the Shell for other tropes which might appear. Specific tropes found in Ghost In The Evangelion:
- America Saves the Day: The American Empire tries this.
- Bilingual Bonus: Creeps in, especially in Sumerian or German.
- Cold Sniper: Saito. They try to teach the rudiments of this to the pilots; it is dubiously successful.
- Cyborg: Cyborgs? In a GITS crossover? It's more likely than you think. Pretty much every character has at least some implants; Rei in particular received multiple grafts after the Unit 00 Synchronisation Accident.
- Deadpan Snarker: This Shinji may not be so good at the deadpan, but he more than makes up for it in snark.
- Fun with Acronyms: D.E.A.T. aka Defence:Extraterrestrial and Alien Threats, the American counterpart to ECCO, the reskinned NERV.
- Fusion Fic: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost in the Shell, to be precise.
- Gun Porn
- Heroic BSOD: Shinji lapses into this state several times during the Ishkur fight.
- Infodump: The author is exceptionally fond of these, and will quite frequently get rather distracted by describing the proper sniping tactics.
- Mind Screw: Rei/Lain moments.
- No Transhumanism Allowed: Averted; there may be questions of what makes a person a person, but that doesn't stop full-body prosthetics or anything like that.
- Also subverted. Aramaki is shocked by the very high rate of cyberization in Shinji's new class. Usualy, only a minority of the minors population has cyberbrains and other cyberizations.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Getting that gun was such a pain.
- Omake: teh Mathematical Adventures of Rei Ayanami, complete with intentional misspelling. This largely consists of mathematical jokes.
- Our Gods Are Greater: The Rakbu, the reskinned Angels, are weird.
- Post-Cyberpunk: Well... duh.
- Psychic Block Defense: Yui acts like this for Shinji when Major tries to mindhack Shinji. Doesn't stop her doing it herself though, for obvious reasons.
- Shown Their Work: In great detail.
- Spider Tank: As expected from a Ghost In The Shell crossover. Less expected is the fact that the Tachikomas have taken it upon themselves to protect Rei's virtue (from Shinji).
- Veteran Instructor: Saito temporarily takes this role.
- The Worf Effect: A carrier battle group, the symbol of the military might of the American Empire, is quickly annihilated by Ishkur, the reskinned version of Ramiel.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Rei, naturally, and it should be noted that her hair is, instead of the normal page-boy haircut, Lain-esque. In addition, many of the people with full-body prosthetics chose unnatural hair colours, because, hey, why not?