Fanfic / Folie à Deux ♥ Pretty Cure!
Folie à Deux ♥ Pretty Cure!
is the first Pretty Cure Elsewhere Fic
, featuring a dream motif
The Radieux Kingdom
was once a beautiful and peaceful land, ruled over by a benevolent woman called Le Grande Rêve-Reine.note
Her most precious possession, L'Étoile Royalnote
, is said to be the binding force that keeps the kingdom the way it is
, and able to grant happiness and wishes whenever it's necessary.
However, one day their land was attacked by the dark and twisted Death Dream Kingdom, a place where love and positivity go to die and become the nightmares of human beings. The ruler of this kingdom, the Great Dream Demon King, was jealous of the rivalling land's prosperity
, and had always sought to destroy it by any means necessary so that they may be just as miserable as he was — but had never once succeeded until now.
Even with the Radieux Kingdom's best efforts, they were swiftly defeated... and L'Étoile Royal shattered
, the shards escaping into another dimension as the kingdom began to fall apart. Before her life force faded, La Reine sent a trio of fairy protectors out into the human realm to seek out those who would recover them: the Pretty Cures! But, will their efforts succeed, or will their new heroines be less-than-stellar for the job?
- Momoe Uehara (Cure Lumièrenote ): The main character of the series. A sweethearted transfer student from Okinawa, who can be overexcitable and a little too eager to jump into new situations.
- Sumiko Hasegawa (Cure Pétillenote ): An intelligent girl with a reputation for being harsh, but can be rather awkward regarding friendships in reality. Has a secret passion for collecting idol merchandise.
- Miyori Okazaki (Cure Guimauvenote ): A 21-year-old college student who happens to be one of the Cures who fought the Death Dream Kingdom before the series. Definitely One of the Kids, while still somehow being the girls' 'tutor' of sorts.
- Konacha, Kukicha and Matcha: The Team Pets and sort-of mentors, who are siblings and former protectors from the Radieux Kingdom. While they're dedicated to their mission, their clashing attitudes make them more than a handful for the girls in their everyday life.
And their enemies:
The series is still currently in development, with episodes to be posted here
and more info here
. More character-specific tropes can be found here
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Alien Sky: The skies of the Radieux Kingdom almost always look like there's a sunset... until L'Étoile Royal is shattered, anyway. Then it starts growing darker and bleaker.
- Alpha Bitch: Reina, and to a lesser extent, her Girl Posse. Sumiko is envisioned by the students as one, but she definitely doesn't have Reina's over-the-top attitude.
- Bizarrchitecture: Miyori's college campus apparently looks like a cross between the Stata Center and the Rizzi-Haus◊.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Pretty Cure, Unlock the Dream!"
- Cannot Dream: All of the residents of the Death Dream Kingdom, funnily enough. La Reine is subject to this once the Radieux Kingdom is destroyed.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Momoe and Miyori both have their moments. Lilja, however, is leaps and bounds beyond them both.
- Dream Land: the Radieux Kingdom, complete with Dream People to keep things running. The Death Dream Kingdom acts as a Nightmare Land.
- Edible Theme Naming: Konacha, Kukicha and Matcha are all named after varieties of green tea. It's apparently La Reine's favorite drink.
- Elemental Powers: Notably averting Color-Coded Elements for the most part, as they don't seem to match the perceptions of what colors would go with each element.
- Freudian Trio: Amongst the Cures and their enemies, though this doesn't necessarily make them Foils to one another:
- Gratuitous Foreign Language
- Gratuitous French: In case the title, the Cures' names and nearly every important term listed here didn't make it obvious enough. However, much of it is either grammatically incorrectnote or too specifically-translatednote , but Handwaved away by the Rule of Cool. As for the usage of folie à deux in the title, Kalle has promised to reveal that mystery later.
- Gratuitous English: Some of the attacks use this to mix things up, such as Lumière's Éclatant Impact.
- Misc.: Foreign exchange student Lilja has a habit of peppering her speech with Gratuitous Icelandic. To an extent, Momoe's own usage of the Okinawan dialect could count as well.
- The High Queen / King in the Mountain: Le Grande Rêve-Reine. After her kingdom was nearly destroyed, her spirit weakened until she was left in a dreamless sleep, without a physical body.
- In the Name of the Moon
Lumière: The dream of warmth in the coldest night, I am Cure Lumière!
Pétille: The dream of light in the darkest heart, I am Cure Pétille!
Guimauve: The dream of sweetness in the toughest exterior, I am Cure Guimauve!
Lumière: Together, the three of us are...
All: Banishing nightmares in everyone's heart, Folie à Deux Pretty Cure!
- Insistent Terminology: Pétille's Cure color isn't 'lavender' or 'purple', damnit, it's heliotrope!
- Japanese School Club: Daiwa Academy has the standards (the student council, school newspaper and various sports clubs), as well as Shinya's Dream Interpretation Club, which Momoe is all too happy to join.
- Club Stub: Until Momoe joined, said club only consisted of Shinya and a spaced-out girl who only signed up for the possibility of free naps.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Miyori being a Cure long before the others was never really made a huge secret in the first place, though this trope page apparently likes to think it is.
- Lucky Charms Title: The series itself, as well as the store where the girls all meet, Rising☆Star.
- Monster of the Week: Akumuma, who eat the dreams of unsuspecting victims who hold (or are otherwise close to) shards of L'Étoile Royal.
- The Movie: It's happening. Though when remains to be seen...
- My Greatest Failure: Miyori's initial defeat against the Death Dream Kingdom has made her reluctant to pick up where she left off, out of fear that she would let down the kingdom a second time.
- Mythology Gag: Lumière isn't the first pink Cure to wield the power of light (and hell, Happy herself probably isn't either.)
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase: "Your dream will come true next time, too!"
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Konacha, the only female fairy among the trio, is pink, while her brothers Kukicha and Matcha are shades of light blue.
- School Newspaper News Hound: Ageha, made doubly worse by the fact that she's one of Reina's lackeys and thus uses her status to blackmail others.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: In-universe, after Cure Guimauve makes her official debut, smarty-pants Cure Pétille can't help but take a potshot at how overly cutesy her (translated) name and attacks sound:
Pétille: Let me get this straight, your name... your name means "marshmallow"?! Ahahahaha—!!
Guimauve: H-hey, I came up with that on my own when I was your age! It's nothing to be ashamed of!
Pétille: And your attacks...! You have an attack called "Fluffy Blizzard"! That's so sickeningly cute, I can't even—!
- Transformation Trinket: The Folie Médaillon, which takes a special token called a 'Clé' to activate.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Sumiko has had a crush on the aloof Hayato since they were both young, but both the threat of being ridiculed for it and her own brash personality keep her from telling him so.
- Weapon of Choice: