Fanfic: Fate Digital Hazard
, written by Candescence
, is a crossover between Fate/stay night
and Digimon Tamers
. In particular, the Fate part is focused around the Unlimited Blade Works route, though with elements of all three Routes.
The scenario is simple - in this universe, the Tamers live in Fuyuki City rather than Tokyo. And, as it happens, Digimon are appearing in the real world around the same time as the fifth Holy Grail War begins. Both Shirou Emiya and Takato Matsuki, in a shared dream, witness the start of a battle between Rin Tohsaka's Archer and Rika Nonoka's Renamon. The events of both stories go on as normal, until after the battle with Berserker - Calumon appears at the Emiya household, surprising everyone, which results in a chain of events leading up to Shirou and Saber intervening in a battle between Guilmon and Renamon, and meeting Takato, Henry, and their Digimon partners. Shirou decides that in order to gain the trust of the Tamers so he and Saber can protect them from the other participants in the Grail War, he needs to let them in on the loop and ally with them. Meanwhile, Ayako Mitsuzuri is saved from an attack by Rider by Renamon, which pisses off Shinji Matou, who focuses his desire for revenge on her and Rika...
How this affects the plans of so many forces remains to be seen...
This fanfiction provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Ayako Mitsuzuri and Issei Ryuudou, who were originally minor characters in Fate, now get expanded roles hinted as being future tamers. IceDevimon also survives beyond his initial encounter with Rika, due to allying with Caster.
- Badass: The Servants, the Digimon, and some of the humans, obviously, but special credit goes to the Sealsdramon who wipes the floor with Archer before retreating into the night.
- Big Damn Heroes: Rika and Renamon save Ayako from a Shinji-ordered attack on Rider, which starts Rika and Shinji's 'rivalry'.
- Broken Bird: No, Sakura and Jeri haven't met (yet). But a single encounter with Jeri results in Shirou and Saber coming to the conclusion that they share some uncanny similarities in behavior, as both are trying to hide past trauma (in different ways, mind you). Considering the shit that's happened to them and what could very well happened to them both, this is more true than they realize.
- Butterfly of Doom: The Tamers, instead of living in Tokyo, live in Fuyuki City, and HYPNOS is also based in Fuyuki.
- Canon Foreigner: Remember the digital anomaly that appeared for all of one episode without explanation? Well, that turns out to be Daemon's work, as he is trying to escape from the Dark Ocean after the events of Adventure 02. Rin and Archer foil his plans.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- Calumon is so adorable that even Ayako briefly acts feminine in reaction to him.
- Illya is convinced to stop trying to kill Shirou partly because she finds the Tamers' Digimon so cute.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- At the beginning, Renamon is absolutely no match for Archer, who is far more powerful and skilled than her at that stage.
- When she witnesses the battle against Berserker, Rika admits to herself that it's a battle that only the highest-level Digimon would be able to take part in without getting wiped out easily.
- Archer is able to easily repel and damage Daemon on his own without incurring any wounds, something not even the 02 Digidestined were capable of. Of course, he kinda had a virtually endless supply of exploding holy swords, and he merely needed to hold Daemon at bay before the Yuggoth program would force him to flee back into the Dark Ocean, and the finishing blow was Caliburn. This effort actually infuriates Daemon enough to make him swear vengeance against Archer.
- The mysterious Sealsdramon wipes the floor with Archer, easily outfighting both his swords with a single combat knife. This is quite the achievement for an adult-level Digimon, even if it seems to be emulating Kiritsugu Emiya's abilities.
- Face-Heel Turn: Rika and Renamon join Caster's side when Caster appeals to their partnership, rather than letting IceDevimon try to convince Rika to let him be her partner. With a side-order of enabling Rika to become a magus, of course.
- For Want of a Nail:
- Due to IceDevimon's meddling, Bazett is rescued from the church, and then healed by Caster. Bazett then becomes Assassin's Master, allying with Caster with the intent of getting revenge on Kotomine and retrieving Lancer's command seals, and informs Caster that Illyasviel is the Grail vessel. This will inevitably have prominent consequences.
- As well, due to Rika and Shinji's fighting, Shinji's provisional command seal book is accidentally destroyed by Kyubimon, causing control of Rider to revert back to Sakura. Shirou and Rin, when they find out, decide to keep them both as far away from Shinji as possible.
- Interspecies Friendship:
- Lancer and Impmon end up becoming drinking buddies. Hilarity Ensues.
- Saber and Guilmon. Guilmon, due to their draconic connection, is aware of Saber's true identity, and Saber has taken on something of a slight motherly role for him, knowing how dangerous dragons can be.
- MacGuffin: Shirou, Saer, Rin and Archer quickly become aware of Calumon's status as such after he accidentally uses his powers to open up Shirou's magic circuits, with Rin noting that, if a magus with enough skill and knowledge got their hands on Calumon, they would have access to what would effectively be an incredibly powerful prana battery, which would give any Master in the war a huge advantage.
- Phlebotinum Overload: While demonstrating his Projection spell to the Tamers, Shirou accidentally taps into Calumon's prana and the end result is multiple swords erupting from his body. Luckily, Avalon's presence allows him to live and recover, and the incident clues Saber in to her missing sheath's location.
- Posthumous Character: Kiritsugu Emiya appears in flashbacks, naturally, and Takato's parents knew him personally before he died as an old customer. However, Shirou is having dreams of memories that never happened of Kiritsugu teaching him to use guns, and a Sealsdramon is going around impersonating him, including appearing at the church to psyche out Kotomine...
- Power of Friendship: As in canon, the bond between Digimon and their Tamers helps trigger evolution. When Rika and Renamon are able to do this even after joining Caster, Archer mentally complains it's not supposed to work that way.
- Superhero Packing Heat: Well, he's not a superhero, yet, but Shirou dreams of memories of Kiritsugu teaching him how to use guns, memories that never happened, though the handgun suddenly under his futon and the discovery of Kiritsugu's old gun stash gives him pause. He and Saber then agree that he should carry a handgun on his person as an emergency weapon. He ends up using a handgun in desperation on IceDevimon to distract him long enough for Guilmon to almost fry him, which surprises everyone.