Fanfic / Exodus of Stars
Exodus of Stars
is a crossover between Mass Effect
. Aleksandr Kerensky has led the war weary Star League Defense Force on a two year long journey into exile. A chance decision leads to a long awaited discovery, and final proof that humanity is not alone in the cosmos.
Exodus of the Stars contains the following tropes:
- Batman Gambit: Used by the Star Covenant. During their invasion of several Batarian worlds a number of rebel groups form to drive away the invaders. Rather than wipe them out, the SC deliberately retreats from them, and eventually leaving the planets altogether...so that those same rebel groups will riot once the Batarian Hegemony tries to force them back under it's brutal caste system
- Berserk Button: The Star league does not react well to the the fact that Batarians practice slavery. Even Aleksader Kerensky is pissed at this.
- Big Damn Heroes: Done twice so far. The first time is when a combined Quarian/Human strike team save a Volus mining outpost from Batarians. The second time is when the Wolf's Dragoons save a Turian outpost from the Blood Pack. Both times involve mechs. Lots and lots of mechs.
- And now thrice- A Human platoon lead by Blackwatch Shepard arriveing to rescue Tali and a squad of Eclor.
- Cain and Abel: Nicolas Kerensky is killed in this fic when his brother Andery sabotages his mech. This is after Nicolas tried to do the exact same thing to Andery's mech.
- First Contact: A Pure First Contact for Humans with the Quarians using protocols dating back to Terran Alliance.
- First Contact Team
- For Want of a Nail: The story practically runs on this trope. Humanity has a peaceful first contact with the Quarians instead of a first contact war with the Turians. Nicolas Kerensky also never creates the Clans in this fic because he is murdered by his brother before he gets the chance. Saren is still a Spectre, but has a grudging respect for humanity as opposed to the OTL hatred.
- Saren's respect for humanity is actually justified. In Mass Effect, Saren's Fantastic Racism against humans stemmed from the fact that his brother was killed in the First Contact War. That is no longer an issue, because in this story the First Contact War never happened.
- Humongous Mecha: Par the course for a BattleTech story.
- Mugging the Monster: In one chapter, batarians attempt to capture a Star Covenant transport with boarding teams smuggled aboard, as well as an ambush by three warships. Not only does the ship crew gets wind of the boarders and easily takes them out, but there is also the fact that the batarians have no idea about the armament of a Carrack class transport.
- Even worse is when you consider what Kerenesky's forces are. When he left the Star League, he took along the entire military. Most of the people who came with are veterens of the wars that plagued the League before its collapse.
- Prolonged Prologue: The story is at ten chapters so far and it's only now looking to kick off the main plot.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: The author states that the Star League calls Dreadnoughts "Modest-sized cruisers." The definition of a dreadnought is based on Mass Accelerator yield, not actual ship size. In fact, in canon, the Systems Alliance was quite well noted for creating ships as large as traditional dreadnoughts that weren't dreadnoughts; specifically, carriers. However, the reference does make it clear the general size of the Star League's ships, since Dreadnought-scaled ships are usually between 800 and 1200 meters long. So in terms of calling the ships "Dreadnoughts," it's wrong, but in terms of sizing, it's correct.
- Shout-Out: Many. Very many. Mostly as nods to Mass Effect, or BattleTech.
- The name that the Exodus Fleet (Human government) and the Admiralty (Quarian government) give their new union is called the Star Covenant. Commonly referred to as The Covenant.
- Sarah McEvedy's socio-economic ideas in Tales of the Exodus 2 are essentially the system that the Titanian Commonwealth operates on.
- Superweapon Surprise: The Geth have built their own battlemechs. Their upscaled pulse weaponry is disturbingly effective against even Star Covenant designs.