Fanfic / Equestrias First Human
Equestria's First Human is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic written by Ceehoff
. Connor Powell, a high school loser, becomes as the title says, Equestria's first human. He befriends the Mane Six, but finds befriending the rest of Ponyville to be more of a challenge since they are wary of strangers. Their ostracism combined with the appearance of a shadowy terrorist group may force Connor to fight for the thing he's desperately wanted all his life: friendship.
The story is presently completed and can be found here.
The author has written three sequels detailing Connor's life in Equestria
as well as a prequel:
The following sequel stories are:
- Connor At The Royal Wedding: The Mane 6 have been cordially invited to the Royal Wedding... Connor, too! Completed
- Sweetie Crush: Connor and Sweetie Belle have been doing some quality time together: helping with homework, walking to school, playing, talking, comforting after a personal dispute. After a while, Sweetie Belle begins to crush on the colt. She wants more than anything for him to be her coltfriend, but what will hold her back? Completed
- Having Hands Again: Shortly after the theft of Twilight's crown by Sunset Shimmer and Twilight's departure, Equestria's First Human, Connor Powell, goes through the mirror into a world he is most familiar with.
The author has also created an enormous amount of fanart and supplemental material which can be found on Deviantart
and even a Tumblr
The Tropes for Equestria's First Human are:
- Aesop Amnesia: Played with: While first wary of Connor, like they were of Zecora, the Mane 6 and Spike do make an effort to be his friend. Problem is, the rest of Ponyville don't see the way they treat Connor as the same as they treated Zecora. In fact, they start treating the Mane 6 as pariahs for associating with Connor.
- Animorphism:: After being killed in a car crash, and his soul being sent to Equestria, Connor is offered the choice of being reborn as a pony or a human. Connor after much soul searching, decides to be reborn as pony, deciding he could better love Fluttershy in that form. Connor is reformed, but takes a while to learn pony walking.
- Ax-Crazy: Hellfire, who is prone to violent, murderous rages.
- Badass Normal: Connor himself defeated Hellfire, a stallion powerful enough to slay a dragon.
- Bad Boss: Hellfire. Your minion fails to apprehend a baby dragon, but suggests sending messages through loudspeakers. His response? Gut him with his sword.
- Divine Date: Downplayed. When Connor first meets Celestia, he calls her "old" (she is hundreds of years old, but she isn't considered to be an old lady.) Mortified, he backspaces and calls her "hot", which... charms her. It's heavily implied that this was the reason, besides saving Ponyville and herself from Hellfire, she enchanted him so that when he died, his soul would return to Equestria for a new chance at life. When he is turned into a pony she also gives him a kiss on the forehead as gift. They don't get together but her crush shows up from time to time in the sequel stories.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Connor has to battle prejudice, isolation from the few friends he's made and a crazy terrorist before he can earn Ponyville's love and trust.
- Princess Celestia herself decides he's earned a second one, and puts a sign on him that allows his spirit to return to Equestria, so he can have a new life.
- Easily Forgiven: Even after all he's done Celestia still wants to help Hellfire after seeing how broken he's become. His response is to feed her to a hydra.
- Subverted with Connor and Ponyville. Connor only saves Ponyville from Dragonfire to clear his conscience and help the Mane 6, and decides to leave since the Ponyville ponies still act ungrateful toward him. Only when all of Ponyville decides to apologize and show their appreciation does he forgive them.
- Eye Scream: Connor accidentally stabs Hellfire in the eye with a piece of broken glass.
- Fallen Hero: Hellfire, after losing his wife and child.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: A chilling example. Hellfire considers Rarity to be beautiful mare he's seen, and starts nuzzling her and licking her neck, and then threatens to slit it. It's implied that Rarity resembles his late wife.
- He later does the same thing to Fluttershy, though this is done to taunt Connor aware of his crush Fluttershy.
- Interspecies Romance: Connor and Fluttershy fall in love with each other. It's averted later on when Connor returns to Equestria as a ghost and chooses to be reborn as a pony, realizing he could return Fluttershy's affections more easily that way.
- Karmic Death: Hellfire is devoured by the hydra he abused and tried to feed the Princess and the Mane 6 to.
- Knight of Cerebus: While the story was already a little dramatic, dealing with Connor's status as a pariah, and the Mane 6's becoming isolated for their association with him, things become darker when Hellfire shows up. His first act kill one of his minions over a petty order.
- Nice Guy: Joshua, Connor's only real friend before going to Equestria. Connor's experiences in Equestria eventually turn him into one.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Connor saves Celestia by pushing her out of the way of all falling spike. How is he rewarded: He is beat up by her Royal Guards. It is justified since those guards were actually Dragonfire Moles. Princess Celestia did try to thank Connor. Unfortunately that event pushed him over the edge and he stormed off before she could get a word in edgewise.
- Rage Breaking Point: After being treated as a plague by the townspeople and ostracized by almost all the friends he's made, Connor snaps When he rescues Princess Celestia and receives a beating from the Royal Guards (actually Dragonfire spies) and is instead laughed at by the rest of the town for his crush on Fluttershy. In the rewrite, the town simply stood by and watched the beating take place, including the Mane 6. It drives him into leaving town.
- Sixth Ranger: After Connor returns to Equestria, as is reborn as pony, he more or less joins the Mane Cast as this.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When Connor refuses to help save the town from the Dragonfire ponies Spike calls him a loser, and that if he can't let go off his anger, he'll stay that way. Connor agrees, and decides to help him.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Connor calls out the Mane 6 for avoiding him like the rest of town, and not helping him integrate, after he is beaten up by the Royal Guards. He later admits he was just being a jerk for expecting them do to everything for him.
- Connor tears into Celestia for For putting the seal on him that brought him to Equestria behind his back. Luna herself is annoyed by Celestia's con. Connor later admits he's more upset about dying and just directed that toward Celestia.
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: Ponyville at first treats Connor like they use to treat Zecora, by closing their shops every time he walks by. Connor being a good Samaritan doesn't change their attitude, and soon the whole town starts avoiding the Mane 6, boycotting their businesses, and refusing to help them prepare for a festival for Princess Celestia. The reaches a peak when Connor is beaten up by the Royal Guards (actually Dragonfire spies) after he saves Princess Celestia from getting skewered, and town just watch it happen. (In the original, they just laughed at Connor for having a crush on Fluttershy). Connor runs off in anger, and Princess Celestia tells the town off for treating a visitor so coldly.
Connor At The Royal Wedding.
- Badass Normal: Connor is still badass as a pony. He fights off Queen Chrysalis, who at that point had enough power to defeat Celestia, and even though he loses, he still survives.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Connor vocally expresses his disgust at the implications of Chrysalis impersonating Cadence. The Queen is... not amused.
- Dope Slap: During the Changeling invasion, Connor sees Pinkie twist Twilight's tail and use her as a Gatling gun. Connor tries the same thing to Rarity, who gives him this as a response.
- Famed In-Story: Connor is treated as a celebrity for his exploits and attracts a lot of attention when he arrives in Canterlot. A young colt even asks him for his autograph.
The Tale of Hellfire: