Fanfic: Disney High School
What happens when you take as many of the Disney Princesses
(and other characters) as possible and attempt a massive Bat Family Crossover
in the setting of a modern-ish American High School
An excellent story concept that has been bandied around for years, by Disney executives
alike, with little to no significant headway made on either front.
What happens when you make that concept into a webcomic, combine it with the brilliant idea of simply re-telling the classic plots of the Disney movies everyone loves a la Once Upon a Time
, add in a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor
, a well-paced storyline, a considerable amount of Shout Outs
, and the fairly neat artwork
of a dedicated Disney fangirl?
The ongoing Web Comic
entitled Disney High School
, by Morloth88
Set in a modernized Alternate Universe
in which Mother Gothel
and Claude Frollo
fell in love and got married
, the story follows protagonists Rapunzel and Quasimodo, who grew up as siblings and close friends. After being homeschooled
for most of their early life, 'Punzel and Quasi are enrolled in a public high school...where they quickly get dragged into the weirdness that goes on in this particular institution.
Hilarity - plus the clever background re-imaginings of just about every single Disney Animated Canon
movie involving humans of some sort - Ensues
Disney High School provides examples of the following tropes:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Played with. Belle and Ariel walk up to Rapunzel and make her acquaintance in the very first strip, despite Rapunzel's new girl status. However, Vanessa can give Quasi some trouble - but that is quickly mitigated when first Hercules, and later Esmeralda, Pocahontas, and Tiana, stand up for him.
- Alpha Bitch: Ursula in her human form, Vanessa.
- Badass Bookworm/Cute Bookworm: Belle and Rapunzel are each a mixture of the two, with Belle being slightly more badass and Rapunzel leaning toward cute. Milo Thatch also counts, though, as a background character, he does not see much action at first.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Belle and Adam seem to be in the beginning stages. Adam, at least, recognizes it for what it is, but Belle has no idea what he feels for her...which only makes him even more frustrated.
- Big Brother Instinct: Quasi is very protective of Rapunzel. Fortunately, though, he's not a Knight Templar. Their parents, on the other hand...
- Big Man on Campus: Hercules' Establishing Character Moment is when he makes a point of befriending Quasi just after Vanessa and her friends tease him, obviously knowing quite well how awful it is to be bullied. He has also gathered quite a coterie of guys who are just as awesome as he is, who often take on this role themselves.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The main trio of Rapunzel, Belle, and Ariel.
- Camp Straight: Kuzco. We think.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Ariel is so smitten with Eric that she can't even speak in his presence, much less sing.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Ariel walks around with forks in her hair. That is all.
- Composite Character: Adam is one...of himself. Obviously, there was no way to include his Beast form in a High School AU, so the author took his post-transformation looks and made them scruffier.
- Deadpan Snarker: Belle is the queen of this trope, with Quasi in a close second and everyone else having their moments.
- Evil Stepparents: A double-dose for poor Rapunzel and Quasi, given Gothel and Frollo's past history. Fortunately, both seem to be of the of the insanely overprotective evil rather than sadistic.
- Presumably, Cinderella and Snow White have the more traditional versions at home.
- Five-Man Band: The Snarfblats, a popular Boy Band at the school:
- Funny Background Event: Adam and Kida fighting in this strip.
- Girl Posse: Vanessa has Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine as her back-up bitches.
- Green-Eyed Monster:
- Vanessa has the hots for Eric, and tries to scare Ariel away by saying Eric doesn't like Cloud Cuckoo Landers.
- Adam has a crush on Belle, and when Belle goes to a concert with Milo, it takes all of Kida's effort to keep him from killing the poor kid.
- Aladdin is quietly jealous of Kuzco, because he thinks Kuzco is dating Jasmine. He is very relieved to learn that that is not the case
- Homeschooled Kids: Of the religious fundamentalist type most likely, given that Claude Frollo is one of the homeschooling parents in question. However, Rapunzel and Quasi are refreshing subversions to the stereotype - both are fairly intelligent and well-educated, and while Quasi is a card-carrying Nerd and Rapunzel hits Flynn when he flirts with her, both quickly adapt to the new school conditions and make good friends.
- Honey Trap: Meg's Uncle Hades wants her to get close to Hercules to get insider information about his father's company, which is Hades' competitor.
- Hot Librarian: Not Belle, oddly enough. Esmeralda works as a library aide.
- Knight Templar Parents: They are Gothel and Frollo, after all.
- Illegal Guardian: Gothel kidnapped Rapunzel and passed her off as her own daughter. Frollo adopted the son of his dead housekeeper, presumably out of guilt that the boy was alone...but there are no details on just how his housekeeper died.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Adam is a longtime friend of Belle's family, and she often stays at his house when her father is away on business. Mind, "innocent" is not at all synonymous with "peaceful" in this case.
- It's Quiet... Too Quiet: How Frollo and Gothel eventually figure out that Quasi and Rapunzel sneaked out of the house to go to a concert.
- Jerk Jock: Gaston, natch. Unfortunately for him, he tries to hit on Megara...who doesn't take kindly to such treatment.
- Love Dodecahedron: It wouldn't be a High School Drama without one or two. Drumroll, please:
- Quasi has a crush on Esmeralda, who is currently happily in a relationship with Phoebus, who is conveniently on the same football team as Quasi. Frollo is not in the picture this time, which is probably because his wife keeps him on a very tight leash.
- Ariel has a crush on Eric. Vanessa has a crush on Eric, too, and intimidates any and all competition for his affections. Eric has a crush on the mysterious girl he heard auditioning for the school choir, but he doesn't know what she looks like (and Ariel's too chicken to tell him it was her). And finally, Jim Hawkins has a crush on Ariel, but of course she's too oblivious to see.
- Aladdin likes Jasmine, who takes some time to realize he exists. Meanwhile, Kuzco has a long-standing acquaintance with Jasmine due to their parents' business partnership, and he keeps calling her his girlfriend because it annoys her and he thinks that's funny as hell.
- Adam has a Childhood Friendship with Belle, and his feelings are starting to develop into love. However, Belle is completely clueless about his feelings. She has a friendly relationship with Milo Thatch, who is himself oblivious to the fact that Kida is in love with him (and that she's often preventing Adam from killing him). Not to mention Kida and Adam are Platonic Life Partners who hang out together a lot.
- Meganekko: Belle pulls this off very nicely.
- My Beloved Smother: According to Word of God, Gothel did steal Rapunzel in this universe, so her motivation for keeping Rapunzel at home was probably much the same as it was in canon.
- My Sister Is Off Limits:
Quasi: Flynn! What are you doing sneaking around in our house, with my sister, no less?
Flynn: It's nothing like that! *in an undertone* Sadly.
Later, when Rapunzel is out of earshot
Quasi: *grabs Flynn's tie and pulls him down to eye level* By the way, Casanova, don't think I didn't hear your "sadly" just now. She's not the only one with a mean swing
- No Social Skills: Rapunzel has obviously been raised to think of sexuality (and anything associated with it) as a sin (we're lookin' at you, Frollo). Therefore, when she still barely knows Flynn, she interprets his mild flirtation as sexual harassment and smacks him in the face with a book. Eventually she grows out of this, but not before much fun has been had from Flynn's pain.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: Somnia Fiat Vera, meaning "Dreams Come True".
- Reading Is Cool: Belle (obviously) and Rapunzel.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Subverted. Jasmine insists that Kuzco is not her boyfriend because Kuzco is not her boyfriend. Nor will he ever BE her boyfriend. Nor is he looking to be her boyfriend - he just likes annoying her For the Lulz. Naturally, Aladdin assumes that Kuzco is indeed Jasmine's boyfriend and they're just playing the trope straight.
- Throw the Book at Them: Whenever Rapunzel feels uncomfortable with Flynn's flirting, she smacks him with the nearest blunt object on hand...which is usually the latest book Belle has recommended.
- Troubled, but Cute: Adam.
- Useful Book: Rapunzel's books are certainly useful for clocking Flynn in the face.