Fanfic: Digimon Adventure A Slightly Darker Retelling
A fanfic made by troper Pikachu 4 Prezident.This fanfic is a complete novelization of the entire first season. It follows the dub almost word for word.Wait..."almost"?Yes, well, almost is a major league understatement. It's neither complete, nor a novelization. In fact, it's Exactly What It Says on the Tin: a darker retelling of one of my favorite shows as a kid.Original Character Brandon Cash has just gotten back from his last day of school, and after a long day's celebration of the matter, he's just about to kick back and relax...at least until he gets word that his arch-nemesis Xana (not to be confused with Code Lyoko's villain of a similar name) is heard to be building a new nuke production line for his factory. This could threaten the city, so naturally, Brandon gets into the factory, and beats Xana once again. Upon taking care of his newly built satellite laser, a temporal warp opens from the remains of the satellite, and sucks Brandon into the Digimon universe.Thus begins Brandon's journey through the Digital World with the characters seen in the show. Brandon and the DigiDestined will need to survive Xana's attacks if they intend to survive the vices of the Digital World.You can read it hereAs of this writing, there are currently six chapters and counting.Author's Note: If you can, please make edits as you see fit. I'm not going to be able to keep up with how many tropes there might be in this fanfic. I will put the tropes that I know of that likely fit in here. Tropes from the original series also apply here.
Tropes found in this work:
- Adaptation Decay: It stays fairly faithful to the dub script, but it does shift away at times, especially whenever Xana gets involved.
- Adaptation Expansion: At the same time however, there seems to be a lead up to how things like the factory, the trolley car, and other things early in the story are there in the first place, among other things.
- Attack Its Weak Point: MechaKuwagamon's core is brought out when all of his arms are destroyed.
- Author Avatar: Brandon Cash himself. And he's one of the main characters.
- Ax-Crazy: Volcanohead Holmes.
- Big Bad: The other main villains will make their respective appearances, but the villain that takes center stage this time is Xana.
- Calling Your Attacks: Still as prominent here as it was in the original series.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Super Powered Robot Andromon was so advanced in technology that it disarmed and reversed all of the traps that Brandon set up while he was dealing with Greymon and Garurumon. And then he tried to put down Brandon's friends. Unfortunately for him, Brandon got pissed about this.
- Darker and Edgier: As the title indicates, the story is to be much dakrer than the original series. The attempted genocide of the Yokomon Village by Xana and Volcanohead Holmes is one particular example of this.
- Deadly Upgrade: Many of the Digimon upgraded by Xana lose all of their free will (whatever little of it that they had left), and cannot revert to their original forms unless killed in a fight. However, it was revealed that Unimon, despite modification, still obtains his free will pre Black Gear.
- Dub-Induced Plot Hole: The author is attempting to fill some of these in, mostly through dialogue changes and mentions that explain these.
- Genocide Dilemma: Subverted. Xana seems to care very little about not only humans, but the Digimon as well.
- Humans Are Bastards: Xana's view on them simply because they turned him away. The same thing could go for the Digimon.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Brandon, in a sense. He loves what he does, but he doesn't like the fact that anyone he may run into will be put at risk by his own enemies.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: According to Brandon, Xana is normally supposed to be this.
- Kill It with Fire: Xana sics his robotic pyromaniac on the Yokomon Village, killing hundreds of them with little remorse.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Dream Bot!Xana utilizes a heat-seeker version of this in his fight with Brandon, during "Ikkakumon's Harpoon Torpedo". He also shoots like this in a fit of rage near the end of the fight.
- Made of Explodium: Quite a few of the modified Digimon that the children have come across have exploded spectacularly upon their defeat.
- Made of Iron: Brandon can take a lot of punishment from just about anyone he fights.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Andromon received one from Brandon when he screwed with his traps and his friends.
- Schedule Slip: The fic updates sporadically, with updates either coming weeks after a hiatus. This is mostly on account of my (the creator) procrastination problems.