Fanfic / Definitionofa Human
Definition of a Human
by Moonrose91 is fanfic series set in a Marvel Cinematic Universe Alternate Universe
(though the Author categorized it under The Avengers
at first) first published on July 27, 2012 on Archive of Our Own.
The series revolves around the Avengers and how they adjust to having a possibly brainwashed teen around. It is, entirely, Fury's fault that she's there.
Contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Natasha Romanov. Maggie when her conditioning is activated.
- Adult Fear: In the first chapter of the eighth installment Maggie is kidnapped.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Arc Number or Arc Words: Maggie's serial, which is made up of numbers and letters, is brought up a few times and is even used as the series description. Maggie's first name comes from the AGM acronym in the serial.
- Central Theme: Most of the stories revolve around what it means to be human, and all that it entails.
- Crocodile Tears: How Natasha gets into the labs.
- Cry into Chest: Dr. Heinrich does this to Mr. Nyst the security guard of the lab when she loses her card to get in.
- Deadly Nosebleed: Subverted. While the second part is filled with nosebleeds and people getting vertigo, it is cured with removing them from the range of the cause.
- Determinator: When Maggie's conditioning is activated, she becomes this.
- Fix Fic: Technically. Word of God says that they started writing it before the movie and just didn't feel like editing everything for that thing that Joss did.
- Going Cold Turkey: In the eighth installment Maggie was forced to be addicted to a drug created by AIM and/or Hydra. The ninth installment revolves around this with a vague timeline involved.
- Hello, Nurse!: Dr. Heinrich, according to the security guard, Mr. Nyst. It's Natasha.
- Happily Adopted: More or less by the third part Maggie is adopted by Agent Phil Coulson and Clint Barton.
- Happily Married: Agent Phil Coulson and Clint Barton. More or less.
- Killer Rabbit: The giant robotic bunnies in the second part.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: In the eighth installment. It is revealed that Maggie has conditioning. She goes Determinator mode when her home is threatened. However, Maggie doesn't consider a place home.
- No Social Skills: Maggie, at first.
- Oh Crap!: In the eighth installment when Maggie's conditioning activates.
- People Jars: Natasha, while undercover in the first part of the series, discovers a lab filled with them.
- Sensory Overload: Maggie gets knocked out do to auditory resonance.
- Schmuck Bait: The item that is like a black Rubix's cube that Tony takes out of the giant robotic bunny.
- Sonic Stunner: The item Tony retrieves from a giant robotic bunny in the second part.
- Shout-Out: To The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Bruce Banner/the Hulk in the second part. Also, Maggie's last name, Yarnell is a Shout-Out to the Mime Duo, Shields and Yarnell.
- Super Senses: At the end of the second part and in the beginning of the third part it is revealed that Maggie has enhanced hearing. Also the Other Guy, aka the Hulk, and Bruce Banner can hear very high pitches.
- Teen Genius: Maggie. She is very adept at math, especially angles, and grasps new concepts easily.
- Trigger Phrase: The eighth installment reveals that yes, Maggie has conditioning. Her conditioning is activated when her 'home' is threatened.