Fanfic / Crisis Of Infinite Twilights
"Crisis of Infinite Twilights" is the sequel to the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic
fanfic The Many Secret Origins Of Scootaloo
The plot summary: "When Scootaloo's attempt at flying causes her to crash into Twilight's lab, it sets off a chain reaction that causes Twilight to disappear, leaves the library in shambles and Scootaloo knocked out. A wave of purple energy rips through Equestria, leaving all to wonder 'great, what now?'
When Scootaloo awakens, she learns from the Bureau of Undoing Trouble from Twilight Sparkle that this world's Twilight is gone... and in her place are dozens of Twilights from different dimensions, tearing across the land. Worse, Nightfall Eclipse, a wicked Twilight from the antimatter universe, is assembling other bad Twilights to form The League of Evil Twilights, who seek to take over Equestria.
Now gifted with the ability to track down these Twilights, thanks to the explosion, Scootaloo will seek out these visitors from other universes in the hopes of sending them home and getting the real Twilight back."
Can be read here.
A side-story about what the Twilights left back at BUTTS HQ got up to during the Ponpan arc, Truth, Dare, Drink
can be found here.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Tydal sings 'Friends on the Other Side', which was original sung by Keith David, whom the author has stated would be Tydal's voice actor.
- Alternate Self: This is the primary plot hook of the fic, as many alternate Twilights appear, and Scootaloo needs to find them and return them to their own worlds.
- Evil Counterpart: Nightfall Eclipse and her League of Evil Twilights are obviously this to the other Twilights.
- Fun with Acronyms: Bureau of Undoing Trouble from Twilight Sparkle....Think on that for a second.
- Also, Twilight's mother is Dedicated Innovation-Centered Scientist.
- The side-story has the Aggregated Nexus of Unusual Surveillance.
- Lampshaded and subverted at the end with the BUTTS-aligned Twilights forming a Legion of Heroic Twilights. It doesn't have a dirty-sounding acronym because Night Light wasn't allowed to come up with the name.
- Gilligan Cut: In chapter 18, Night Light tells his wife that everything will be fine with Scootaloo and her companions. Cue Cadence screaming "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"
- Gotta Catch Them All: Scootaloo has to find all the alternate versions of Twilight that have ended up in her world before they cause trouble.
- Intentional Engrish for Funny: Sparkle-san's dialogue is full of Engrish, including adding extra words and honorifics.
- My Life Flashed Before My Eyes: Scootaloo at the beginning of chapter 19. Except it's not her life that flashes before her eyes.
- Outside-Context Problem: The Ponyville Saints. Why add a third faction into the mix? Why not?
- Recursive Fanfiction: The Twilight from Faith and Doubt, another fic by the same author, appears, as well as versions of Twilight from other fics. Also, the Green Lantern Twilight Sparkle and the universe Twiley's from eventually got their own fics.
- Self-Deprecation: Much of Faith and Doubt!Twilight's screen time is basically the author making fun of his own story.
- Shout-Out: Plenty, as you'd expect:
- Spear Counterpart: Dusk Shine, Twilight's male version, from On a Cross and Arrow is one of the many Twilight counterparts.
- Spontaneous Choreography: Happens many times in this fic, including:
- Twilight and Scootaloo singing an original duet
- Agent Coltson, Spike and Scootaloo singing 'Look on the Bright Side of Life'
- Subverted when Coltson starts to sing 'Rio' after what he wrongly assumes to be a cue, then trails off when nobody else joins in.
- Discord does his rendition of 'Friend Like Me'
- Tydal sings 'Friends on the Other Side
- Luna, Tydal, Spike and Baby Twilight all sing 'The Monster'
- Take That: Twilight Twilight was created just to mock the Twilight series.
There had been an interesting cover story about 'Two and a Half Stallions' and if it could still be funny with the departure of Charlie Horse; the answer was 'it had never been funny in the first place'.
- Waking Non Sequitur: Scootaloo gets an interesting one at the beginning of chapter 3:
"Nnnnggghhh... Miss Cheerilee, I don't think I should be drinking wine and giving you flank massages..."