Fanfic / Coffin Side
is a Death Note Fan Fiction
that is a direct Continuation
of the series by fellow Troper Ruin Takada
.If you havenít read Death Note yet, there are Spoilers below.
Set a few days after the death of Light Yagami at the Yellow Box warehouse, Coffin Side
follows the effects that Lightís death has on the Yagamiís left behind, particularly the oft-forgotten Sayu. However, with barely a murmur, that is all changed in a Lazarean-style wake-up call
that leaves the funeral attendees in disbelief
- A Boy and His X A Boy And His Shinigami
- Adult Fear
- And I Must Scream
- Applied Phlebotinum: The Death Eraser, especially since you literally use it by rubbing.
- Artifact of Doom: The Death Eraser and the Death Note (the latter takes a back seat).
- Attending Your Own Funeral
- Back from the Dead
- Bearer of Bad News: Matsuda and Aizawa
- Biblical Motifs: This was based on the story of Saint Lazarus.
- Body Horror: The description of the resurrection.
- Buried Alive: Technically this, but closer to Murder by Cremation.
- Cessation of Existence: The true meaning behind 'MU', as hinted in the fic.
- Coming of Age: Sayu
- Death Is Cheap: the Death Eraser.
- Determined Widow: Misa, of course.
- Divine Intervention: Ryuk's part in the whole affair.
- Emotionless Girl: Sayu's part until the end.
- Fate Worse Than Death: There's a reason one should try to bring our loved ones back before the funeral.
- First Law of Resurrection: If the author wants it, that's what will happen, and that's why there's a fic of it.
- Four is Death: Yamaguchi-Sensei, the piano teacher, demonstrates this. "Threes are better than fours, and five even more so!"
- Friendless Background: Light, as noticed by Sayu.
- Fun with Acronyms: 'E.C.U' means 'Eternal Care Unit', and you can probably tell where this is going.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Mourning Wear is 'Mofuku', 'Kyokaidou' is a Church, and a 'Rood' here means a wooden cross perfect for warning off demons.
- Growing Up Sucks: For Sayu, yes it does.
- He's Back: Oh yes he is!
- Her Heart Will Go On
- Inner Monologue
- Lonely Funeral: Everyone did love Light, but then he pushed them away, hence a pretty bad turn out.
- Murder by Cremation: Naarrowly Avoided by Light, somewhat. Grandpa Yagami? Not so much.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Notice how no one's told the Yagami women his true identity.
- Oh, Crap!
- Primal Fear
- Publisher-Chosen Title: This was originally to be called 'Coffin-Side', until ff.net took out the hyphen and took away the space. It's been like that ever since.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Round Robin: This fic is written as a competition piece where anyone can enter and write a continuation of it. The deadline is still open, if anyone is interested.
- Rules Of Anime: #38: Law of Hydrostatic Emmission.
- Shown Their Work: This fic was the result of much research over Christian and Japanese Buddhist funerals, and there is a glossary at the end to prove it.
- Sidekick Promotion
- Small Name, Big Ego: Yamaguchi, the piano teacher.
- Song Fic
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A hopeful song played through a somewhat hopeless situation.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Light's opinion of Misa, as he compares her to tin foil - it is only good for two things: Preparing food, and chewing up and spitting out for a good high.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Light is killed, painfully brought back to life, about to be Murdered By Cremation, and then he is free from all that? Yes indeedy. (Could be Yank the Dog's Chain - you decide!)
- Treachery Cover-Up
- Troubled Production: This fic was due for April, for obvious reasons. However, there was extensive edits to be done, reportedly on busrides over potholed roads only, hence the delay.
- Unable to Cry
- Unexplained Recovery: And boy, did he!
- "What Now?" Ending: What will happen next? Well, thatís for the competition entrant to decide! Also, that ending is a bit of a cliff-hanger.