Describe Chunin Exam Day
Well, the short version would be to say it's PKH
, and to a large extent this is true, but it does
have its own original plot points, so we'll point them out here.
Synopsis: Naruto dies during the the Sand/Sound invasion. He wakes up in bed, only to discover that he has gone back in time to the start of the chunin exams. He soon figures out he's stuck in a groundhog day loop, and begins to apply this fact to make himself smarter
and improve his chakra control, among other things...
WARNING: This fic, like PKH, has a sizable Love It or Hate It
reputation, with a large Fandom and Hatedom. Please keep discussion to discussion page. Please keep YMMV to its page.
List of tropes appearing in Chunin Exam Day
- Artistic License – Biology: Apparently the Sharingan can hijack the entirety of its user's brain to comprehend particularly complicated seals. Not to mention that somehow devoting the entirety of your brain to something (including the brain stem) merely leaves you catatonic instead of killing you.
- Author Appeal: As Partially Kissed Hero, but instead of shiny things and eternal beauty (at first) making them dresses, baking them food, giving them awesome (classified as S-rank in the fic itself) massages complete with full spa treatment and music, etc, plus the sheer number of women.
- Author Tract: The whole fic is underpinned by a rage-driven assassination of Kishimoto's plot, characters the author didn't like, Kishimoto's reasoning, et cetera, et cetera.
- Blessed with Suck: After an episode with the Kyuubi, Naruto gets an order-of-magnitude increase in chakra capacity, grows several inches, and becomes much stronger and faster. The downside? It shoots his chakra control to Hell, severely messes up his non-reflexive martial arts, and gives him ears and a tail that he has to constantly hide with a jutsu that just became severely difficult for him lest the townsfolk become afraid and kill him.
- And then it becomes quite good after Naruto learns a more about chakra control, making him just as efficient with its usage while increasing his reserves massively, and it becomes a bloodline that enabled his wives to keep their memories of these loops.
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good, Heel-Face Brainwashing, More Than Mind Control: Most girls are turned into harem members by being given massages. Classified in-universe as S-rank. They literally beg to marry him, and mean it. Including previously enemies. Plus Naruto massage+"loved" Tsunade's hemophobia away. Even the ones who weren't converted by massages seem to have suffered this, since Tenten and Temari barely knew Naruto, ten days tops, yet agreed to marry him after the Forest of Death. In the same loop. While he married Hinata too. There's a point where being good at snogging draws the line.
- Butt Monkey: Sasuke, unabashedly, and, to a lesser extent, Kakashi.
- Character Exaggeration: The entire cast, to various extents.
- Cursed with Awesome: The loops themselves. Initially, they have some of the same terror as in more conventional usages, such as Groundhog Day itself, with Naruto becoming lonely and borderline psychotic. Later he finds out how to bring friends in on the loops, and starts using the time involved to power up in every possible way, including creating a new kekkai genkai with the Kyuubi's help and starting a clan (based around a harem) to propagate it.
- Death Is Cheap: Naruto eventually develops this viewpoint, mainly because of the loop.
- After the loop is complete we get to see how cheap it had become. Haku had just done an extremely risky summoning contract creation when she is told that the loops are over. She nearly passes out at the fact that she could have permanently died.
- Dragon with an Agenda: The Uchiha clan turns out to have been this to the rest of the village, having been slowly sabotaging other bloodline clans and rewriting Konoha's laws for an eventual takeover.
- Evil Chancellor: Sarutobi's advisers, the village council, and Danzo are this.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: The main plot of the story. Ends when Naruto actually becomes chuunin, due to an offhand remark by Tsunade.
- Groundhog Peggy Sue: What Naruto turns into.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Slight subversion, given that he has infinite time in which to hone them, but Naruto learns quite a few skills, including: Tailoring, Cooking, Leatherworking, Metallurgy, and various sundry others.
- Little Bit Beastly: Naruto gets foxy appendages, thanks to his prisoner. He later upgrades his harem with them.
- Harem Nanny: Kurenai, and later Yugao. Both of them lost the job after joining it.
- Oh, Crap: The reaction of the entire Kitsune Clan when Sarutobi signs Naruto into Chuunin status, ending the loops. This was on one of their "We just don't give a shit" be-as-insane-as-possible loops.
- Older Than They Look: Naruto, who by now has experienced centuries worth of resets. The rest of the Kitsune clan as well.
- Polyamory: Between Naruto and Hinata, Ino, Temari, Tenten, Hana, Kurenai, Anko, Ayame, Tsunade, Shizune, Kin, Tayuya, Yakumo, Haku, maybe also Yugito and possibly Sakura in the future.
- Revenge Fic: Most especially towards Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi. Some towards the third Hokage as well, and a LOT towards the people of Konoha in general.
- Rule of Funny: The apparent justification for why Naruto can make any female, including several sworn and powerful enemies who one would think would be somewhat hardened against brainwashing/interrogation techniques, defect and completely change loyalty... by giving them a massage. He has been in the loop for some untold number of years, and spent quite some of that time early on using his brute-force usual approach to, well, everything to get really really good at romance, but it's still really ridiculous.
- Running Gag: Many and numerous.
- Samus is a Girl: Kyuubi.
- Sealed Evil in a Teddy Bear: "Vicky", a.k.a. "Fluffy", a.k.a. Kyuubi.
- Take That: One to J. K. Rowling with the description of the Rowling bloodline power, reflecting Lionheart's well-known view of the moral implications of the later Harry Potter books. Specifically, the Rowling kekkai genkai is that anyone within audio range of the Rowling becomes confused, friend becoming foe and vice versa. Including the Rowling herself.
- Don't forget the Kishimoto clan, which destroy anything they touch.
- Villain Protagonist: YMMV, given that none of his victims remember anything (Though that may make it even worse), but Naruto and his girls, among other unmentioned acts: Steal both Sasuke and Kakashi's sharingan eyes and spread a rumor that the Uchiha clan were a bunch of coprophiles.
- Morality always gets weird in a "Groundhog Day" Loop; it is arguable the effect of the looping on the actual morality of the act, since there are no consequences, but more than that, it's entirely possible (in fact, probably inevitable) for the one in the loop to start thinking oddly about morality, because they repeatedly have it pointed out to them that none of their actions can have any lasting consequences. On the other hand, there's a limited amount of bad behavior an unusual approach to morality can excuse.
- Weak, but Skilled: Ebisu is famous for being the only ninja ever to complete an A-rank mission using only the basic three. Unfortunately the only time he's in a fight, he's ambushed by Orochimaru, making this an Informed Ability.
- You Can Not Fight Fate: Used as a joke on Neji when Kitsune Clan changed the first part of the exam and got him thrown out because "it is not his destiny to become chuunin". Also doubles as an example of Crosses the Line Twice.
- This results in him being forced into a purple chicken costume and being dumped outside the testing hall while extremely confused.