"Diabetes is a terrible thing."
A rather infamous My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic where Pinkie Pie dies of diabetes. The story revolves around everyone's reactions to her death
, as each of her friends handle the loss differently. Unfortunately, they aren't left to their grieving; a new crisis threatens another one of their friends... but can they face it without Pinkie Pie?
Can be found here
Tropes that star in this story:
- Alternate Ending: Much like another infamous Pinkie Pie Dark Fic, has one where the events of the main story are All Just a Dream... though Pinkie still has diabetes, and simply chooses to live with it rather than leave her friends behind.
- Artistic License – Biology: Diabetes. The commentary for Rainbow Dash Presents notes that a diabetic trying to sugar herself to death would take hours or even days and would be a horrific way to go.
- Big Damn Heroes: In the final chapter, twice.
- Bittersweet Ending: Fittingly, considering the title, as Rarity's plan to revive Pinkie fails, yet her spirit is able to give her friends the closure they needed before departing.
- Book Ends: The first and final chapters contain the line "Where do you think we are?"
- Crapsaccharine World
- Darker and Edgier
- Dark Reprise: In the penultimate chapter, "Giggle at the Ghosties" is reprised to send Pinkie to her final rest.
- Deconstruction Fic
- Death by Irony
- Death Fic
- Downer Beginning
- Driven to Suicide: Pinkie decides she can't make the changes required to live with diabetes and gives herself one final binge on sweets.
- Even Jerks Have Standards: Gilda doesn't quite like the fact that Rainbow Dash left Ponyville after Pinkie's death.
- It's All My Fault: Rainbow Dash blames herself for Pinkie's death.
- It's What I Do: Pinkie Pie's explanation for her choice in the first chapter.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "Did somepony order a PARTY?!"
- Revised Ending: An alternate ending was posted after the epilogue where it was All Just a Dream...except Pinkie having diabetes, but she doesn't die from it, at least.
- Sanity Slippage: While her friends react to losing Pinkie in various ways, poor Rarity goes into outright denial, to the point of seeking a spell to bring her back from the dead.
- She Didn't Make It: Unwilling to explain to his little sister about death, Big Mac tells her that Pinkie's "on vacation". When she finds out, she's not happy.
- Side Story: Apple Blossom revolves around Apple Bloom's reaction to learning Big Mac lied to her about Pinkie's death.
- Shout-Out: The first chapter heavily draws from the Scrubs episode "My Screw Up", including the line "Where do you think we are?"
- Sweet Tooth: Deconstructed.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After learning about Pinkie's death, Gilda calls out Rainbow Dash for running away from her problems and turning her back on the others right when they need her the most.