Fanfic: Arrow 18 Mission Logs
Arrow 18 Mission Logs is a the banner title for two My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfics written by Admiral Tigerclaw, depicting a First Contact scenario between Earth and Equestria. Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Sparkle's Notes tells the story from the ponies' point of view, using Twilight Sparkle's diary and correspondence, while Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger mostly uses the log of human astronaut Randolph Edwards.Both stories are currently incomplete, and Sparkle's Notes is significantly behind Lone Ranger in the timeline.
- Adorkable: Twilight, as in canon, but her reaction to realising that Randy is trying to communicate with her using MATH is a standout.
- Aliens Speaking English: Twilight teaches herself English from Randy's ship's computer impressively fast. Otherwise averted — Luna tries to speak English, but only manages to sound like a horrifically malfunctioning toaster.
- Later, Rainbow Dash gives it a try and fares even worse!I'tok! Uno-tok! Tok'i!
- Later, Rainbow Dash gives it a try and fares even worse!
- Anti-Magic: Much like in the author's other major story, Randy is essentially immune to all forms of magic, including Cockatrice Stares, Luna's Dream Walking and Changeling Love siphoning.
- Carnivore Confusion: Inverted at one point when Twilight mistakenly eats one of Randy's meat-based MREs and discovers, to her dismay, that she likes it.
- First Contact: The story as a whole. Actual initial communication uses math.
- Heroic BSOD: When Randy discovers that yes, Celestia and Luna do in fact literally control the sun and moon, he kind of... breaks for a little while. Particularly noteworthy in that he was perfectly willing to consider it as a hypothesis; seeing actual evidence is a different experience entirely.
- Rainbow Dash is discovered to be claustrophobic...when they're on a ship traveling over twenty times the speed of sound.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Takes place whenever Twilight fills in for Randy when he is incapacitated in some way.
- Magic Versus Science: An interesting take. Twilight manages to hack into Randy's computer with magic. Specifically, by using her magic to painstakingly track the electrical currents within the computer, poking and prodding at different circuits until she found the one bit that needed to be flipped which told the computer that the correct password had been entered. It apparently took her over eight hours to find it.
- Naked People Are Funny: Rarity reacts to Randy's apparently ugly uniform by having Applejack hogtie him and bring him back to Carousel Boutique, then stripping it from him. Twilight arrives soon afterward, having just learned about human modesty, and covers him up.
- Refuge in Audacity: Twilight steals two of Randy's spare pressure suits and has them adapted for ponies, giving them cutie marks and an embroided name tag reading “Sparkal (sic) Space Program”, all before even getting his permission to take either her or Rainbow Dash into space with him. Randy can't help but be impressed.
- Scrapbook Story: Both stories are complied from logs, letters and a transcript from a flight data recorder.
- Scream Discretion Shot: After realizing she just ate - and enjoyed - meat, Twilight quietly excuses herself from the room and shuts herself in another, but Randall can still hear her scream...which is so strong that it affects the Arrow freighter's power as well.
- Shown Their Work: To the point of simulating flights in Orbiter and linking the results.
- Taser Tag Weakness: Randy tasers Twilight to get her out of his ship and into bed when he becomes concerned about her obsessive studying. He tries it on Rainbow Dash during her panic attack later, but it doesn't work.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Rainbow Dash proves to be extremely claustrophobic once in Randy's spaceship, going into a panic attack during takeoff.
- Later Justified by Twilight. Rainbow Dash is a pegasus and is used to flying under her own power. To be flying in an enclosed space not under her control is hell!