Arrow 18 Mission Logs
is a the banner title for two My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfics written by Admiral Tigerclaw
, depicting a First Contact
scenario between Earth and Equestria. Arrow 18: Mission Logs Sparkle's Notes
tells the story from the ponies' point of view, using Twilight Sparkle's diary and correspondence, while Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger
mostly uses the log of human astronaut Randolph Edwards.
Both stories are currently incomplete, and Sparkle's Notes
is significantly behind Lone Ranger
in the timeline.
- Adorkable: Twilight, as in canon, but her reaction to realising that Randy is trying to communicate with her using MATH is a standout.
- Aliens Speaking English: Twilight teaches herself English from Randy's ship's computer impressively fast. Otherwise averted.
- Anti-Magic: Much like in the author's other major story, Randy is essentially immune to all forms of magic, including Cockatrice Stares, Luna's Dream Walking and Changeling Love siphoning.
- Carnivore Confusion: Inverted at one point when Twilight mistakenly eats one of Randy's meat-based MREs and discovers, to her dismay, that she likes it.
- First Contact: The story as a whole. Actual initial communication uses math.
- Heroic BSOD: When Randy discovers that yes, Celestia and Luna do in fact literally control the sun and moon, he kind of... breaks for a little while.
- Rainbow Dash is discovered to be claustrophobic...when they're on a ship traveling over twenty times the speed of sound.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Takes place whenever Twilight fills in for Randy when he is incapacitated in some way.
- Naked People Are Funny: Rarity reacts to Randy's apparently ugly uniform by having Applejack hogtie him and bring him back to Carousel Boutique, then stripping it from him. Twilight arrives soon afterward, having just learned about human modesty, and covers him up.
- Refuge in Audacity: Twilight steals two of Randy's spare pressure suits and has them adapted for ponies, giving them cutie marks and an embroided name tag reading “Sparkal (sic) Space Program”, all before even getting his permission to take either her or Rainbow Dash into space with him. Randy can't help but be impressed.
- Scrapbook Story: Both stories are complied from logs, letters and a transcript from a flight data recorder.
- Scream Discretion Shot: After realizing she just ate - and enjoyed - meat, Twilight quietly excuses herself from the room and shuts herself in another, but Randall can still hear her scream...which is so strong that it affects the Arrow freighter's power as well.
- Shown Their Work: To the point of simulating flights in Orbiter and linking the results.
- Taser Tag Weakness: Randy tasers Twilight to get her out of his ship and into bed when he becomes concerned about her obsessive studying. He tries it on Rainbow Dash during her panic attack later, but it doesn't work.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Rainbow Dash proves to be extremely claustrophobic once in Randy's spaceship, going into a panic attack during takeoff.