Fanfic: Ao Usagi Tribute Show
Even animated, I still say "what!?". And that's why we love Ao Usagi.
—Youtube comment by Lusvik
On the -booru Imageboards
, there is an an artist who goes under the tag Ao_Usagi. Most of Ao Usagi's artwork, ranging from "safe for work" to explicit, enters hard Mind Screw
territory. He also happens to make Touhou Project
comics which are equally surreal.
Elsewhere on Youtube, there is a Walfas video maker named Spaztique
. Behind on his main series Five Dangerous Months at the Hinata Inn
and April Fools Day fast approaching, he decided to adapt one of Ao Usagi's Touhou
comics to animation
. Realizing they were very easy to make, he decided to adapt just about every Ao Usagi comic
, resulting in this strange series
.Watch the episodes here!
Currently, Spaztique is taking a break of Ao Usagi Tribute Show to work on a feature-length Walfas video
, but you can watch Spaztique working on his videos on Ustream
every Saturday (usually
This fanfic provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Alice is featured prominently in Episode 4.
- Accidental Marriage: How Episode 0 ends.
- April Fools' Plot: Episode 0 has Marisa pranking Reimu by asking her to marry her. It backfires when Reimu marries her anyway.
- Animated Adaptation: Of Ao Usagi's comics.
- Award Snub: In-Universe. In Episode 4, Alice loses the Air Marisa Championships to Air Marisa, along with Reimu, Patchouli, Nitori, Flandre, Cirno, and Marisa herself.
- Awesome Mccoolname: Maxamillion Jazzhands, Ph.D., Professional Billionaire.
- Big "WHAT?!": In Episode 1, Alice's reaction to Reimu revealing the real Marisa who happens to be rubbing her chest.
- Twice in Episode 2, both delivered by Reimu when she sees the old man behind her and when Nazrin breaks through the ceiling.
- Marisa does this in Episode 5 not long after a Flat "What." at the realization Reimu is living off of leaves.
- Black Comedy Rape: Implied in Episode 2 with Youmu's ghost half. Explicit in Episode 5.
- Blatant Lies: Multiple examples...
- Episode 1: The weird alien thing that tricks Alice into thinking he/she/it is Marisa.
- Episode 3: Maxamillion declares a "notable difference" between tsuntsun and deredere Yuuka after Yuuka punches Wriggle in the neck.
- Episode 5: Marisa declares the mystery of Reimu's sleeves solved when Reimu reveals she sold her sleeves and the rest of her clothes.
- Bleached Underpants: Some of the comics or images Spaztique recreates are Not Safe for Work. Yet, some of the scenes (particularly in Episode 5) are still pretty raunchy.
- Body Paint: Sort of. Episode 6 recreates a NSFW image where Nitori is painting herself to look like the background. To skirt around this, Spaz has her painting her own clothes.
- Bow Chicka Wow Wow: In Episode 5, when Reimu mistakes Marisa being tied up in her donation box as Marisa offering herself to her, funky porn music starts playing.
- Breathless Non Sequitur: Plenty...
Maxamillion: And now that you know, let's return to Ao Usagi Tribute Show! This cigar is full of opium!
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In Episode 4, the events of the Air Marisa Championships include Air Valentines Chocolate, Air Sharing A Scarf, Air Riding [a broom] Together, and the Air Tag Team Match.
- Call Back: In Episode 6, the other two Marisas from Episode 1 return. Also, in a callback to Episode 5, Reimu finally gets something good to eat thanks to Marisa turning into a mushroom.
- Canon Foreigner: Maxamillion Jazzhands, Ph.D., Professional Billionaire.
- Cloudcuckoolander: EVERYONE.
- Chewing the Scenery: Marisa in Episode 6...
Marisa: BEHOLD!!! I HAVE MADE REIMU FLOAT!!!
- Comically Missing the Point: From Episode 5, when Marisa tries to uncover the secrets of Reimu's sleeves, only to find Reimu naked.
Marisa: ... Uh... Where are your sleeves?!
Marisa: And the rest of your clothes?!
- Crazy Enough to Work: Apparently, Reimu's plan to win over Marisa in Episode 3 involves turning Tsundere and then burying herself up to her neck. It works.
- Creator Cameo: Spaztique appears in Episode 2, just so Nazrin could steal his scene.
- Credits Gag: At the end of each episode, Spaztique is listed doing something other than voices and animation.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Spaztique plays all of the all-female cast.
- Curse Cut Short: In the beginning of Episode 2, when it turns out the Marisa-like voice is coming from an old man.
- Dada Comics: The source material, adapted to animation.
- Dark Horse Victory: In Episode 4, the winner of the Air Marisa Championship is Air Marisa.
- According to Word of God, the second and third place went to Air Marisa and Air Marisa. Runners up include: Air Marisa, Air Marisa, Air Marisa, the Aki Sisters, and Air Marisa.
- Department of Redundancy Department: From Episode 1:
Marisa: That may have looked like Sanae, but it's actually a Wild Poisonous Sanae!
- Maxamillion Jazzhands is a professional billionaire... Think about it...
- Deranged Animation
- Eccentric Billionaire: Maxamillion Jazzhands, Ph.D., Professional Billionaire.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Yandere Reimu's voice slowly fades into this.
- Evil Twin: Poison Sanae.
- Eye Beams: Reimu uses these in Episode 3... out of nowhere...
- Fanime: For Touhou/Ao Usagi.
- Fansub: Dementefsb makes Portuguese fansubs of the videos. From Episode 2 on, Spaztique gives him the transcripts directly.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Both the weird alien thing from Episode 1 and Marisa in Episode 5 have Four-Fingered Hands when they give a thumbs up.
- Fourth Wall Portrait: In Episode 2, Kogasa's power to surprise Marisa involves transforming into her game portrait.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: All over the place...
- Episode 0: One of the wedding attendants is a fellow Walfas video maker, Stevothehuman.
- Episode 1: Look at Poison Sanae's hand as she high-fives Sanae. Also pay attention to Poison Sanae's shoes.
- Episode 2: When Marisa calls Nazrin a thief, look at Reimu's reaction.
- Episode 3: Read Reimu's book on Tsundere behavior.
- Episode 4: The thought bubbles of Marisa and Reimu when they see Alice's love pillow, plus the judges' scores for the Air Valentines Chocolate.
- Episode 5: When Marisa is robbing Maxamillion Jazzhands' mansion, she is using the same sack from Scarlet Weather Archive In Japanese Red.
- Episode 6: After Marisa kills the bird in the opening, Utsuho and Aya briefly flash on the screen with angry/shocked looks, respectively.
- Gainax Ending: Due to the nature of the series, it's easier to list the episodes where it doesn't have this.
- Averted in Episode 3, when Reimu's plan to act tsundere to win over Marisa actually works.
- Averted in Episode 5, where every plot but the one about Reimu's sleeves comes full circle.
- Hypocritical Humor: Marisa calling Nazrin a thief in Episode 2. Watch Reimu's face when she yells this.
- In Episode 3, Sanae tells Reimu not to act like a Tsundere because it will make her look weird. The camera then zooms out to reveal Reimu and Sanae wearing eachother's clothes.
- In Episode 5, Yukkuri Reimu says she hates taking it easy, not long before breaking into "Relax, Take It Easy" by Mika.
- I Ate WHAT?: In Episode 5, Marisa is shocked to find Reimu eating leaves.
- Limited Animation: Done in a virtual doll program, create.swf.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Given how weird this series is, they're mostly word-for-word adaptations of Ao Usagi's comics.
- Masochist's Meal: In Episode 5, apparently Reimu eats leaves.
- Mind over Matter: In Episode 6, Marisa levitates Reimu through magic alone.
- Mind Screw: Played for comedy... most of the time...
- Mutagenic Food: In Episode 6, Marisa turns into a mushroom after eating a bunch of mushrooms.
- Mr. Exposition: Maxamillion Jazzhands, Ph.D., Professional Billionaire.
- Naked People Are Funny: Twice in Episode 5, both by Reimu.
- Negative Continuity: Particularly in Episode 5, where Reimu sells her clothes, yet in the next scene, she gets them back. This is never explained.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Implied in Episode 3 when Reimu attempts to act like a Tsundere.
- Non Sequitur: How most of the scenes end.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: During the credits, frames from the adapted comics are shown to prove they are from real comics. Links are provided in video descriptions for further proof.
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: Viewers can give Spaztique live feedback during production on Saturdays (which is where the line "Hey, Internet People!" came from in Episode 4). Users Stevothehuman, Theyarenext and Wilhiemthe2nd provided the "Great Job!" for Episodes 4, 5 and 6 respectively.
- In addition, the spinning Nitori head in episode 6 was provided by Castlepokemetroid.
- One of Us: In Episode 3, Reimu apparently did all of her research about Tsunderes on TV Tropes.
- Overly Long Gag: Multiple examples...
- In Episode 2, Marisa's reaction to how Cirno gets the banana off the ceiling. Funnier in the Portuguese Fansub, where the text actually stretches all the way across the screen.
- Maxamillion Jazzhands talking to the winner of the Air Marisa Championship in Episode 4.
- Pilot: Episode 0. Originally, it was just a one-off before Spaztique could continue his Love Hina remake, but then the allure of doing the rest of the comics came...
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Refuge in Audacity: All the time.
- Rubber Man: Apparently, Sanae's miracles include stretching her body, according to Episode 2.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Remake as many of Ao Usagi's comics as possible by yourself in create.swf.
- Shaggy Dog Story: In Episode 5, Marisa's attempt to learn how Reimu's sleeves stay attached ends with a naked Reimu revealing she sold her clothes.
- Shout-Out: The intro sequence is a near-remake of the Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! opening, only using the ZUN-pet instead of a saxophone and excluding the exploding face part. For Episode 4 on, the ending theme recreates their ending theme, only using the synth of "Capital City Of Flowers In The Sky".
: Alright. I spent hours researching on TV Tropes
how a tsundere acts, and Marisa should be over any second now...
- At the end of Episode 5, Reimu and Marisa sing "Relax, Take It Easy" by Mika.
- Episode 6 has Sakuya impersonating Dio Brando. Also, it finally has a "Great Job!" freezeframe at the series' halfway point.
- Surreal Humor
- Touhou Project
- Talking to Himself: Not counting the guests who do the "Great Job!" past Episode 4, Spaztique does all of the voices.
- Tsundere: Reimu attempts this in Episode 3, but fails miserably when she ends up looking like a Yandere. At first.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: In Episode 1, Reimu is unstartled by Marisa popping out of the bushes. Subverted when two pop out of the bushes. Then Double Subverted when three pop out. Later, Sanae has no qualms over running into Poison Sanae.
- In Episode 5, Marisa has no problem with Yukkuri Reimu.
- Ustream: Spaztique will often make episodes on Ustream, either animating, voice acting, editing, or composing music. He also occasionally gathers fellow Walfers to read bad fanfiction or LetsPlay Touhou Games.
- Virtual Paper Doll: Everything was animated in Walfas's Create.swf, or "Create A Touhou Character".
- Vocal Evolution: Spaztique's pronunciations of the names solidify around Episode 2 due to feedback from Episode 1.
- Widget Series: An animated adaptation of one.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Maxamillion Jazzhands' accent falls somewhere between a Southern Gentlemen and a British accent.
- Word of God: Spaztique will answer any question regarding the episodes, but some of the answers are often as ridiculous as the show itself.
- Yandere: Reimu's attempt at being a Tsundere in Episode 3 makes her look like this to Marisa.
- Your Costume Needs Work: In Episode 4, Marisa herself loses to Air Marisa in the Air Marisa Championship.
- Youtube Poop: Stevothehuman made one using Spaztique's collected works, but it features many clips from Ao Usagi Tribute Show. (Warning: NSFW Language.)
Based on/Inspired by the works of Ao Usagi.
Voiced/Animated/Troped by Spaztique.