Fanfic: After the End
"It's the summer after seventh year, and Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and the rest of the wizarding world must learn to live without fear."After the End is an Alternate Universe Harry Potter Fan Fiction, written by authors Arabella and Zsenya, and published at the The Sugarquill.It was written during the long wait between the release of "The Goblet of Fire", and "The Order of the Phoenix", and therefore does not adhere strictly to anything published in canon after "Goblet of Fire". It is set after the final battle, presumably after the seventh book (hence the name, "After the End"). The authors therefore invented their own version of events to fill the space between "Goblet of Fire", and their story. Many of the events that they created ended up actually being correct to canon, after the subsequent books were published.After the End is unusually long for a Fan Fiction. At 474,992 words, it is almost twice as long as the longest Harry Potter book, "Order of the Phoenix". It has 43 and 3/4 chapters, plus an epilogue and a prologue.Note: despite sharing a name, After the End is not an example of the After the End trope.
Features Examples of:
- Animated Tattoo: George Weasley has a dragon tattoo on his chest that can move and breathe fire.
- Cho Chang also has a Swedish Short-Snout that flies around her navel. She claims she started the trend.
- Blessed with Suck: As a novice Healer, Ginny is unable to touch Harry without feeling physically sick due to his negative energy and dark past.
- Book Ends: The story begins and ends with a group hug surrounding Harry. Everyone is in a dark room, lit by a bluebell flame, which someone kicks out.
- Can't Hold His/Her Liquor: Harry, Hermione.
- Dead Guy Junior: Percival Leander Weasley
- Death-Activated Superpower: Dumbledore arguably exhibits one of these- it's revealed that he had planned for his potential death by putting a spell in place that would banish any nearby enemies to the other side of the earth. When Voldemort and Dementors attack Hogwarts, Dumbledore sacrifices himself to save everyone else.
- Death by Adaptation: A Weasley dies, just like in canon. But it's Percy, not Fred.
- Lucius Malfoy
- Dennis Creevey ends up dying, instead of his brother.
- In addition, the deaths of Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Mrs. Lestrange are very different from their corresponding deaths in canon.
- Empathic Healer: Ginny.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Hermione with Ron, and Harry with Ginny. Special mention goes out to how often Ginny's hair colour is lovingly described from Harry's point of view.
- She/He Is All Grown Up: Eloise Midgen, Colin Creevey.
- Lower Deck Episode: Chapter 27-3/4.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Fred Weasley, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Hedwig, Moody, Dobby, Colin Creevey are just a few.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Ginny and her issues that come with being a Healer are present in almost every single chapter after the revelation. It doesn't help that every character present instantly fawns over her in concern.
- The Unfair Sex: Present in spades. Hermione and Ginny are able to get away with practically anything, yet Harry and Ron are often blamed for things they didn't even do. Ginny is the worse culprit by far.
- Harry: Yes, I noticed. Ginny wrote a Howler when I took this job. She's allowed to worry. She's allowed to say 'No Harry, that's too dangerous, you can't do that!'.But when I say the same thing, I'm unsupportive. What's that about?Ron: Oh, they're always allowed to do whatever they like. They're always right, as well.Harry: I'm just trying to tell her it's suicide.Ron: And I was just trying to tell Hermione that the Liquid Curse was too strong for her. Look where it got me.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ginny finally gets called out on how she's been acting by Sirius.