Proof that the remaining 10% is worth doing a barrel roll for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Star Fox Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into NSFW
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
A New Enemy
by Voice In The Night
Starfox: Sunrise over Lylat
- Synopsis: The time is shortly after the Aparoid Conflict, and the Star Fox team is aboard the repaired Great Fox, enjoying some down time between missions. Fox and Krystal begin to ponder the nature of their relationship in more detail, but are interrupted (conveniently) by a mission order from General Pepper. An old foe has begun construction of a base on a world near Corneria that could be used to launch attacks against the Lylatian people, and things only go downhill from there. The Great Fox is destroyed in short order by a foe that is stronger than any that the team has faced before, and soon Fox and company are in the fight of their lives. Will new allies provide the help that they need, or will this all be a case of "too little, too late"?
- Comments: This fic currently is undergoing an overhaul by the author, who then pledges to finish it after a long hiatus.
- Tags: Dark Fic, Original Characters, Hurt/Comfort Fic, Mind Rape
Star Fox: The Punishment
- Recommended by Magyareagle, Mirage, Jade Crisanthamum
- Synopsis: Seventy five years after the Lylat Wars, and everything's changed. How predictable. And if Fox's granddaughter can't get her head put on right, there won't be enough of a Lylat System left to fly in. Good luck, Starfox.
- Comments: This fic easily ranks among the best I have ever read. With a clear and coherent writing style, and characterization that you can actually take seriously, this story feels like a natural extension of canon. Perhaps best of all, while one of the main characters is the granddaughter of Fox, she is not the flight lead, and the action scenes are fast, furious, and intense. Erico truly writes better than many professional writers.
- Needless to say, this is easily one of the best written fanfics of all time, and a true classic. Terrany McCloud and Rourke O'Donnel are fully fleshed out and brilliantly flawed characters who step off of the pages and actually feel like real people. Not simply cardboard cutouts, but characters who make you forget that you are reading a fanfic, and think you are reading a well polished professional novel. If you ever wanted to read a novel that makes you take the setting of Star Fox seriously, look no further. This is it.
by Nitch (mild language, description of graphic drawings)
Star Fox: The Saurian Adventure
- Recommended by Dogman15
- Synopsis: "While fighting Andross, Fox is flung across the galaxy to Earth and ends up trapped in the world's largest furry convention: Anthrocon. With the help of strange and benevolent furries, Fox seeks a way back home to Corneria while trying not to reveal his true identity."
- Comments: An Alternate Universe Fic. Is in progress, currently with ten chapters. The furry convention that Fox finds himself at is actually Anthrocon 2008 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He feels confused and disoriented, but eventually catches on and pretends that he's a human named Bill in a really good costume. Soon enough, a girl named Kelsy Smith (who goes by "Wolf" at first) figures out who Fox really is, and they discover the link between the real world and the Star Fox universe (it has something to do with Shigeru Miyamoto). This story is back in action after a few years on hiatus!
Recollections of a Traitor
- Recommended by Jeffcole1
- Synopsis: "Star Fox Adventures the way it should have been! When Fox is called to aid the residents of the mysterious Dinosaur Planet, he finds help in the form of the mischievous Prince Tricky, and an enigmatic blue vixen with strange powers and a clouded past."
- Comments: An AU retelling of Star Fox Adventures, with Krystal escaping from Andross's ghost at Krazoa Palace and later teaming up with Fox and Tricky. Fox/Krystal is the obvious ship here, but it's only a secondary concern behind the main plot. Currently at the team's first visit to the Volcano Force Point Temple.
by J. Wolfman
Starfox: Phoenix From The Ashes
- Recommended by Spark Moon
- Synopsis: A meerkat reporter for a Venom newspaper interviews the notorious Pigma Dengar and in turn, learns of his past and why he betrayed the original Star Fox team.
- Comments: This story hails from way back in the early days of Star Fox fandom (about '97-'98), but even with the developments in the Star Fox canon since then, this story still has a strong impact. Pigma is one of, if not the most reviled character both in canon (even Wolf couldn't stand him) and in fandom, so seeing a fic that paints him in a more sympathetic light is worth checking out. As it's a pre-Star Fox Adventures story, many details are made up, but don't let that stop you from setting aside the time to read this nearly-forgotten gem of a Star Fox story.
- Recommended by Ericosuperbard
- Synopsis: The ultimate Starfox SNES Novelization. When Andross, exiled to Venom, casts his bid to conquer the Lylat System, Corneria turns to ex-Air Force Academy pilot Fox McCloud and his crack team of resistance fighters of Papetoon to turn the tide of battle and stop his mad ambitions once and for all. With the aid of Fara Phoenix and the prototype SFX Arwing combat superiority atmospheric capable spacecraft, Team Starfox sets out to make history.
- Comments: Destructor blends the gameplay of the SNES game, parts of the story written in the Nintendo Power comic series, and even characters from the abandoned Starfox 2 in his magnum opus. From these three sources, he creates a cohesive piece of Fiction that spans more than 50 chapters and 285,000 words. A fantastic example of Fanfiction done right, this is an absolute must read for anyone who either wants to read a good story, or wants to see a framework of what a good Starfox piece looks like. Take the twelve hours out of your life it will take you to go through this, and you won't regret it.
by chaos Leader
A Great Day to Die
- Recommended by Mellow Walrus
- Synopsis: Have you ever wondered how it all happened? How all Lylat turned against itself in war? How a scientist of all people led the charge? How one mercenary team became the icon we know today? This is one interpretation of how events may have have played out.
- Comments: A dark take on the Starfox series, with tons of interesting characters and very polished writing. The story goes back to the beginning of the Starfox Team and going through the pivotal stages of James McCloud's life. It also gives some more background on Dr. Andross's rise to power. The link above leads to the version which is currently being rewritten, but the original fic is actually not too shabby compared to the majority of fanfics.
by Tobias Umbra
- Recommended by Mellow Walrus
- Synopsis: In a time when Fox has pushed away all of the people important to him, a deadly encounter with Wolf may cost Fox both his sanity and his life. A look into the minds of both Fox McCloud and Wolf O'Donnell.
- Comments: This fanfic takes the idea of Star Fox Command, with Fox McCloud pushing everyone out of the team, and uses that setting to give him one hell of a day. In it, Wolf decides to screw with Fox's mind and get him hooked on some drug that induces his biggest fears, and he gets challenged with both keeping his mind sane, and dealing with the possibility of a surprise attack at any moment.
by Raymond S
- Recommended by Max300frk
- Synopsis: Learning of his father's death, Fox's life is dramatically changed forever, and he is plunged into a deep depression. Will he find peace and rise to a greater destiny? Or will fear and sorrow consume him to his very soul?
- Comments: An excellent fic that goes in depth about the relationship that Fox has with his father and how everyone was able to handle the truth of James' death. There are several parts that may make some others uncomfortable due to numerous references to suicide and several scenes with Fox ACTUALLY attempting suicide. However, the writing is excellent and the characterization is really good. This is a fanfic that is definitely worth a recommendation.
by Allen Itami
Star Fox: Next Gen
- Recommended by Angelitami
- Synopsis: I'm in a crate. A decent sized crate, sure, but still a fucking crate with airholes. My wrists were swollen and red, my arms bandaged up from the testing. I could hear moans of pain and possibly even pleasure from the other crates in this hanger.
- Comments: An interesting take on the ‘Human meets Star Fox’ in which the main character was actually abducted by Andross, suffers from amnesia, and is realistically portrayed in how a human would be treated by the Star Fox team. This isn’t a gary stu over powered male character, but a female character who has trouble piloting an arwing, let alone fighting. Worth a read and better than it probably sounds.
by Zombie Axe Hero
Star Fox: The Animated Series
- Recommended by Kandikorn22
- Synopsis: In the distant future, Marcus McCloud is a brash young fox, as well as the leader of a team of mercenaries dedicated to protecting the Lylat System. When old enemies begin to return, only they have the strength and courage to stop them. But a certain someone is starting to come between that, and Marcus is debating on whether or not she's trying to help him or get him killed.
- Comments: While it breaks the fourth wall quite a bit, it is a very interesting take on two of the endings of Star Fox: Command. It has the author's own theory of how Kursed exists, Coyote is a pretty cool character, and the fanfic is just great overall. The fanfic also has a comparatively darker sequel: Star Fox: Subspecies.
by Matthew Gafford A.K.A Fredryk Phox
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by 1upmushroom
- Sypnopsis: This is basically a reimgaining of the Star Fox universe, and a very adult one at that. It's set to take place after the Star Fox team fought Andross. The show is still in development though there exist tons of clips, and concept art and all other sorts of material.
- Comments: While the show seems to be rather pragmatic in its curret stages, don't let that fool you. This is defintley made by a Star Fox fan, I can't even begin to count all the Mythology Gags that are spread throughout what we can make of it. Gafford himself is pretty talented, providing much of the voices for characters, storboarding and animating the series, and even composing all of the shows' music, all while doing a fairly good job at all tasks. The characters that are shown are all unique in some way (Slippy being a hick, Leon having a sort of slavic accent, etc.). All in all, this is a very promising project that's even managed to grab some fans in it's developing stages.
Moon Over Marin
- Recommended by StevieC
- Synopsis: "Intrepid rescues, sappy romance, and nekked pictures. Can it get any better?"
- Pairings: Peppy/OC (main, and it's het), Falco/Katt, Fox/OC (het)
- Comments: Het, but a few examples of bi and gay are mentioned in passing, though not portrayed explicitly. A rare major character/OC pairing that actually manages to pull off the story well. Does this largely by focusing on a perspective oft neglected in Star Fox fanfic. Everyday life, planetside. In their off-duty time, Fox and Falco are tuner racers, and Slippy is their mechanic. Peppy is the team's "designated adult" and the writing is handled with aplomb. Makes a good light-hearted, low tension read and packs plenty of laughs.
- Tags: Humor, Romance, WAFF, Slice of Life
Not Safe For Humanity
- Recommended by Akagasm
- Synopsis: "This is the story of a man who lost everything and had no interest in getting it back."
- Comments: Hauntingly beautiful, extremely tragic, and a complete Tear Jerker, this fanfic details the life of Leon Powalski (Wolf O'Donnell's wingman) during his stay in prison, his experiences and memories of his surreal past. It's a bit of an AU, considering that besides Falco and Leon, all other characters relative to the Star Fox canon are absent. This story is extremely engaging, surreal, and depressing. Fair warning, this story contains explicit homoerotic and heterosexual content. Fortunately, it is not overly-abundant or distracting in the least. The characterization, while not exactly relative to any character's in-game personalities, is very much in-character. Once you complete this short story, it'll be hard looking at Falco and Leon the same way again.
by Scott Ramsoomair
- Recommended by Gilgameshkun
- Synopsis: One of the most (in)famous pages of VG Cats. Aboard the Great Fox, Fox comes into Falco's room, slaps him on the ass, and then seduces him. All of the dialogue is refashioned script from Star Fox 64 in hilarious homoerotic context.
- Comments: An Affectionate Parody of the Falox ship (Fox X Falco) with a teasing reference to the Wolox Ship (Fox X Wolf), all in the dreams of VG Cats' resident Yaoi Fangirl Aerith.
by Serpent P
- Recommended by accelgors
- Synopsis: Star Fox and Star Wolf go on a seemingly innocent mission for a business that ends up with Fox in a mess of corporate competition, which ends up with him becoming closer to Wolf than he thought he would be. Fox X Wolf shipping.
- Comments: And now, for the ubiquitous bara gays. This one is written really well in a way that (at least in my personal experience) most M/M fics have a problem with, with a more realistic than average progression of the relationship where they find things to enjoy about each other and get close before banging. It can also be appreciated purely for a very accurate picture of how depression feels.
- Recommended by kokoroanime
- Synopsis: This is a Star Fox and Banjo and Kazooie crossover story about Falco being clashed into a strange planet where Banjo and Kazooie lives after being attacked by Star Wolf. Fox, Slippy, Krystal, and Peppy to help find him.
- Comments: That story really warned my heart, I like the relationship with Falco, Banjo, and Kazooie. But it's almost a Heartwarming moment.