Once upon a time, Spike went for a walk.
While on his walk, he was judged by an ancient alicorn, lodged with griffons, parlayed with air pirates, charmed a maiden of a mystical race, and dealt with the scourges of hate, fear, and racism while deliberately drawing the armies of myriad nations to the brink of global war.
Once upon a time, Spike went for a walk, and did all of this so that he could keep a promise to the one that meant the most to him... Twilight Sparkle.Zenith is a My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic fanfic written by The Descendant.Princess Twilight Sparkle and her Number One Assistant Spike discover a mysterious Artifact of Doom—and Twilight ends up placed under a terrible killing curse, and the only way to keep it from slaying her is to put her into a magical coma. And, with that, Spike's entire world falls apart. How will this terrible ordeal affect him, who is just a little kid? And is there any way he can save Twilight from the curse so that she can wake up? And why is Princess Celestia refusing to help him in any way?The story is planned as a long epic, though currently only Book 1 is (almost) complete. It is currently on hiatus since August 2014.Not to be confused with the comic book of the same name.
Zenith contains examples of:
- Ancient Conspiracy: There appears to be one surrounding Princess Celestia and the Pillar of the Sun.
- Artifact of Doom: The Pillar of the Sun.
- Batman Gambit: It's heavily implied that Celestia deliberately set things up for Spike to learn of the nature of the Zenith, knowing that once this happens he'll do everything in his power to save Twilight on his own.
- Break the Cutie: The fic as a whole is essentially one for Spike.
- Broken Smile: Spike sports one when he finds out that Celestia knew that she was sending Twilight to the location of the Pillar of the Sun.
- Brutal Honesty: Luna seems to have a thing for this.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Spike regularly reads to the comatose Twilight from her favorite book. However, he also has entire normal conversations with her where he tells her what he's been up to, and pleads her to wake up; he is afraid of being overheard doing that, lest someone think that he's going insane.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Definitely.
- Madness Mantra: "Twilight canít wake up to a monster."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Celestia goes through one when she finds out what her actions ended up doing to Spike.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: The rest of Twilight's friends are really concerned about Spike because of this.
- Sanity Slippage: Spike goes through one throughout the entire story.
- Undying Loyalty: Spike to Twilight, naturally. Even as she's lying comatose in the hospital.
- Wham Line: "I guess that makes me an outlaw, huh?"