Fan Fic / You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!
You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
is a one-shot Trixie Belden Fan Fiction
story that is actually well-constructed in terms of grammar and spelling. As far as the fandom goes, it's fairly mundane, as it focuses on teenage romance without much character development, or even heed to canonical characterization.
What makes this fic notable is the unashamed but seemingly unintentional invoked tropes of Ron the Death Eater
, Die for Our Ship
, and Madonna–Whore Complex
, which are interspersed through a rather unimaginative fic that has nothing to offer in plot.
The basic premise is that Dot Murray is moving to Sleepyside, the hometown of our protagonists, the Bob-Whites (For information on the fandom's reaction to said character, check out the YMMV section of the Trixie Belden
page). In contrast to canon, where she was a subject of Trixie's envy but otherwise well-liked by the group, each one of them now dislikes her, with the only explanation provided that Dot is "fake."
Dot arrives, and the Bob-Whites thinly veil their disdain for her and complain that the adults leave them no choice but to include Dot in their activities. Dot, who had not a single line in the single Trixie Belden
book she appeared in, is quickly characterized
as an oblivious
teenage girl who hates Trixie
and is trying to steal Jim for herself.
The Bob-Whites barely tolerate Dot's presence until she makes an offensive remark to Trixie, at which Jim delivers a harsh riposte rather than allow Trixie to stand up for herself. There's some arbitrary romance between Trixie and Jim, and then the story ends, before not before establishing, one last time, that Dot is a total slut.
This fanfiction story contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: One of Dot's horrific crimes is that she actively pursues Jim, and later, Dan, neither of whom are interested in her.
- She's not unattractive at all, actually, the guys are just appalled by her forwardness.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Dot's attraction to Dan, though her depiction suggests she would chase any guy.
- Double Standard: Dan is frequently depicted as a notorious skirt-chaser in fanfic, and other characters casually tease him about it, while here Dot is scorned and disdained for actively expressing interest in boys.
- Felony Misdemeanor: One of the indicators of Dot's "antagonism" is her red bikini, in contrast to the other girls' one pieces.
- Madonna–Whore Complex: Frequently, but especially when their bathing suits are mentioned: Trixie wears a "one-piece light blue bathing suit," while Dot is attired in a "red bikini." Really, the entire fic is extremely evocative of the Madonna–Whore Complex with the strong condemnation of a young woman's sexuality.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Could be a freakin' moral of this story. Both Jim and Dan are disgusted with Dot for her pursuit of them.
- Sex Is Evil: Dot is obviously intended to be portrayed negatively due to her awareness of her sexuality.
- Slutshaming: BLATANTLY. Dot's sexuality is intended to be positively deplorable to the readers.
- Vague Age: How old is Dot supposed to be, anyway? She was canonically Jim's age, which implies she would be in college, but the text seems to infer she's in high school.