Fan Fic: With Apologies To Harlan Ellison
A Darker and Edgier reimagining (or perhaps Deconstruction) of the Team Fortress 2 universe by Cat Bountry, in which the old Administrator is replaced by an insane AI and things just get worse from there in the style of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison (hence the story title).Read it here.
MASSIVE spoilers ahead. Beware.
With Apologies To Harlan Ellison provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: The Administrator is now an insane AI that tortures her prisoners For the Evulz.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot
- And I Must Scream: Inverted, despite being a tribute to the trope namer. The last thing Engineer does is open his mouth and scream.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Engineer kills all of his teammates in order to spare them from the Administrator's torments. Lampshaded by Demoman:Demoman: Ye come tae kill me too, eh?Engineer: You gonna make this hard?Demoman: At least ye weren’t lonely before. I should a’ suspected it was you who would snap. Ne’er trust th’ nice ones.
- Body Horror: In so many horrible ways. Especially Pyrobeast and TwistySpy.
- Cute Mute: The Scout, due to the Administrator ripping out his tongue.
- Companion Cube: Soldier's shovel.
- Expy: The Administrator is very similar to GLaDOS, only much more malicious and less comedic.
- Fandom Nod: Possibly the Pyro's gender bending, to the constant arguments about his/her gender.
- Gender Bender: Pyro. Poor Pyro.
- Harmless Electrocution: Averted. Soldier is killed when he uses Shovel to yank out one of the Administrator's cables and is fried to death.
- Hello, Nurse!: Inverted. Pyro is transformed into a horribly exaggerated caricature of a woman, causing reactions of disgust rather than attraction from most of the team.
- Heroic BSOD: Well, everybody, but the Sniper in particular has more or less given up on doing anything except laying there.
- Jerk Ass: The Spy. It's really difficult to sympathize with his predicament when he shows little to no sympathy for the others himself.
- Killed Off for Real: The entire RED team except for Engineer.
- Kill Them All: the ending.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Heavy and Medic to each other.
- Meta Twist: If you've read the original, you'll be expecting the story to follow the same groove. But unlike AM, the AI Administrator is lying about nuking the world, and the Engineer discovers a perfectly lively town nearby. Even the famous ending line is twisted: "I open my mouth. And I scream."
- Mercy Kill: Inverted. Despite Engineer's apparent intentions, the way he kills his team-mates is less than merciful. Not to mention how it was all in vain anyway.
- Neck Snap: How Engineer kills Pyro.
- Off with His Head!: Spy's and Scout's deaths, courtesy of Shovel and Engineer.
- Painful Transformation: Spy. And HOW. Pyro's later transformation is also implied to be quite painful.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Discussed by Engineer when the Administrator offers the team a woman to "pass on their genetic material".I feel sick all over again. The rancid meat in my stomach probably plays a factor in this. I may have been trapped here for more than a century but the thought of possibly raping a lady is still abhorrent to me. Especially if she’s been tortured just like we have. Can I trust these men, my fellow prisoners, to feel the same way?
- Sanity Slippage: After 112 years of being tortured by the Administrator, Soldier completely loses it, forgetting how to speak English and talking in gibberish to Shovel.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Or not.
- The Power of Hate: The only thing that has kept Demoman alive all these years, geared toward the Administrator.
- Tongue Trauma: Poor Scout...
- Twist Ending: The Administrator never fired those nukes.