Fanfic / Widening The Lens
When the Elements of Harmony defeated Discord, they did their job too well, and completely undid all of the things Discord directly did...
... Like send a subcontinent from earth into a pocket dimension so he could focus properly on his toys. And now Equestria has appeared on Earth.
Yet, neither side was completely ignorant of the other. On Earth, there was the show "My Little Pony: Friendshipis Magic" and in Equestria there was the ever popular movie serial "The Dark World: Technology is Courage" which was a favorite of colts everywhere as well as the "Pumans".
And now both sides learn through an event that the other is real. Come join us as we watch as both sides learn to work and live together. And as they find out that events on their respective fiction was not as nice as it seemed as we widen the lenses of the view points...Widening The Lens
is a My Little Pony Friendship is Magic round-robin fanfic being done by Spacebattles writers, recently posted on FimFiction. The gist, as shown above, is Discord took the landmass that was Equestria to a separate dimension during his reign, and when he was beaten by the Mane Six, the landmass was returned to Earth...
This Fanfic includes:
- Alien Sky: The first sign Celestia and Luna get that they're not in their home dimension anymore is being able to see the sun and moon in the sky at the same time.
- All There in the Manual: There's PLENTY of info to find on Spacebattles.
- America Saves the Day: Consciously Averted; a good deal, if not the majority of the effort is done by Canadians, as reference to the Canadian production of the cartoon.
- Big Damn Heroes: Canadian and American forces rush to the rescue when the town of Hippocampus Bay is attacked by Diamond Dog slavers-who brought a DRAGON.
- Death Glare: Princess Celestia is prescient enough to notice a sattelite taking photographs from her from orbit. The glare she sends to it actually ends up in a photograph for Google Maps, much to Twilight's amusement and her human companion's unnerving.
- Darker and Edgier: WTL-Equestria is a more realistic (i.e. grittier) place than canon Equestria, as we are Widening the Lens through we see the place.
- Oh, Crap!: Played with. When Celestia realizes that the Mane Six are undoing everything Discord did, not just what he did during his latest romp, she panics... but is also amused by the concept.
- She and Luna later have a similar reaction when they try to make a connection to (and try to move) the real Sun and the real Moon, much bigger than the versions from the pocket dimension.
- Shout-Out: Naturally, one of the first groups of humans to make contact with Equestrians is the Aircraft carrier Enterprise. The president even lampshades it, asking if the Enterprise's captain is named Kirk or Picard.
- Technology Porn: Seems to be part of the appeal of The Dark World: Technology is Courage, given Fluttershy's ability to Info Dump on various military aircraft and ships at the drop of a hat.
- World Building: The fic's raison d'etre, as the name suggests: giving a more complete view of pony society (widening the lens through which they are seen), and giving them a more complete view of human society at the same time.
- Similarly, Spacebattles has reams of information and discussion on what the world would be like after Equestria returns, socially, politically, and economically, far more detailed and complete than the story itself at time of this writing.