Where the Skeletons Lie
is an amazing Recess
fanfic written by thesolitary_dragon.
The story is set fifteen years in the future. After a prank
goes wrong, those involved make a pact to never speak of it again. The decision causes a rift between friends and the gang splits up until they, along with many of their former classmates, return to Third Street in order to confront the past, which has come back to haunt them. Literally.
This fic is well-written and thought out. With all the suspense and horror thrown in, it is able to keep the readers on the edge of their seats the entire time. A must-read for any Recess
- Breakout Character - Randall, surprisingly.
- Break Up to Make Up - TJ and Spinelli.
- Creepy Doll - Clara, Mary Anna's doll.
- Deadly Prank
- Delivery Guy - Randall. Also counts as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Faking the Dead - Mundy
- Forceful Kiss - Vince tries to pull this on Spinelli. It backfires.
- Happily Married - Gus and Theresa (Cornchip Girl)
- Hooked Up Afterwards - Francis (Hustler Kid) and Ashley Q
- Girl Posse - The Ashleys. Who else?
- If I Can't Have You - Mundy, to Spinelli.
- Love Makes You Evil - Mundy's excuse. Also why Gretchen stopped talking to Spinelli.
- My Beloved Smother - Poor Menlo seems to have one of these.
- My Sister Is Off Limits - Joey doesn't like TJ for this reason. He's partially responsible for them breaking up in the first place, which doesn't sit well with Spinelli when she finds out.
- Reunion Revenge - Most of the plot revolves around this.
- Secret Keeper - Everyone, arguably.
- Super OCD - Randall, brought on by the incident fifteen years earlier.
- Stalker with a Crush - Mundy, back in the day. Apparently it hasn't changed.
- The Reveal -
- The Scapegoat - Everyone's quick to blame TJ, despite all having taken part in the prank.
- Sequel Hook - At the end of the story Clara is still alive, pregnant, completely unhinged, and plotting revenge. The author acknowledged it and even mentioned their plans to write a sequel.
- 10-Minute Retirement - Or in TJ's case, fifteen years.
- íThree Amigos! - Randall, Butch and Menlo.
- Those Two Guys - More or less averted with Digger Sam and Digger Dave, since they're somewhat relevant to the plot.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend - Gretchen and Vince.
- Unwanted Harem - Spinelli only has eyes for TJ, but that doesn't stop many of the other guys in the story from being in love (either in the past or currently) with her.