- A Dog Named "Dog": Louise's Magikarp is called Carpe.
- Author Appeal: The last chapter's swordfight is a clear and admitted example.
- Bigger Bad: Darkrai, as hinted at from the beginning, and Giratina, according to the ending notes.
- Bilingual Bonus: Gallia's secret cavern lab, where the Big Bad of the first few arcs waits, is called Hanada Doukutsu. Or, literally, Cerulean Cave. This hints at his identity.
- Dead Fic: Unfortunately so, but it got very far beforehand and there are copious notes for what would have happened afterwards.
- Determinator: Louise takes a lot of damage every fight and still manages to keep going.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Louise is disappointed at getting a Magikarp for a familiar. Justified because... well, as in canon, she was hoping for a "Beautiful, strong familiar," and what she got was a fish that can barely swim, and is widely considered one of the weakest pokemon (not counting Magikarp Power).
- Gameplay and Story Integration: Constantly. Characters are shown as using Pokemon moves and having type matchups.
- Gratuitous French: Louise commands Carpe with the French names of his attacks.
- In Spite of a Nail: Saito still ends up in Halkegenia, but the circumstances behind it are unknown for a long time. Aside from that, though, the plot of canon is intentionally very much Off the Rails.
- Magikarp Power: Subverted with Carpe, as Splash and Bounce has helped him and Louise out of various situations.
- Reconstruction: Due to her type of summon, Louise's status as a mage is not questioned, but confirmed to the eyes of her teachers and peers. Although she is mistaken for a water mage through the fic.
- Shown Their Work: Characters and plot points from side stories and light novels that didn't get adapted into the anime series are used often in the fic.
- Steal the Surroundings: Fouquet the Sculptor decides to just have her golem rip the academy's vault out of the building and carry it away.
- Title Confusion: The title was originally When I Evolve I Going To Kill You All, later corrected with an "am" added.
Fan Fic / When I Evolve I Going To Kill You All
A common tendency in Familiar of Zero fanfic is for Louise to summon another typically humanoid familiar other than Saito. When I Evolve I Am Going To Kill You All plays this concept by having Louise summon a more animal-like familiar, a Magikarp. But all is not well, as it later revealed that Carpe is not the only pokemon in Halkegenia.